Re: [rootsradicals] Re: MSNBC report on Bike Shop vending machines

  • Pete Beers
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2010
      Our local bike shop has had one in front for at least 4 or 5 years.  Seems to work well for them. I've used it a few times.

      On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 4:38 PM, Rich <astronut1001@...> wrote:

      One potential problem I can foresee is vandalism, both for the contents and money, unless placed in very well lighted and patrolled areas.

      I would think also that you would want quite sophisticated vending machines that would accept both cash and credit/debit cards. The latter means an internet connection of some sort is required though this could also signal the need for restocking and service.

      With initial machine cost, plus upkeep and maintenance costs, I have no idea what the profit potential would be for such a machine. I would expect that locations would have to be very carefully chosen to have any chance of such machines showing a profit. An LBS might have one outside for customer relations purposes but I am not sure of the potential in other locations.

      Rich Wood

      .