Intro and a couple of questions

  • Bob Chmara
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 30, 2010

      Hi, new group member here.  I’m in the process of collecting parts to build an Xtracycle, and I have most of the bits I need.  I’ve recently acquired a ’93 Trek 930 frame, a Surly 1x1 fork (I want disc brakes for winter riding), a FreeRadical, a pair of WideLoaders, and earlier today, I picked up a donor MTB that will provide derailleurs, shifters, disc brakes, wheels, cassette, crankset, BB, and headset.  I’ll pull a seat post, saddle, and stem from my stash.

      Next on the list is some combo of P or V-Racks, and FreeLoaders or a Hoodie.  The P-Racks appeal to me because I already own several nice sets of panniers and the P-Racks will let me use the panniers as well as the Hoodie.  But I have a couple of P-Rack questions.

      1)       What is it about the P-Racks that makes them incompatible with FreeLoaders?

      2)       How well do the P-Racks actually work with panniers?  It seems like they would only work well with panniers long enough so that the inside face of the pannier was resting against the FreeRadical frame.

      Glad to have found the group and thanks in advance for any responses,

      Bob Chmara

      Southfield, Michigan , USA

    • Rich
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 30, 2010
        Welcome to the group.

        The P racks have a second bar below the top one about 10mm in diameter to take standard pannier bag upper mounting hooks. The Freeloaders mount by sliding the normal V rack tubes through cloth tubes sewn into the Freeloaders and the lower bar on the P racks blocks the Freeloaders from sliding on.

        Not sure of the answer to your second question.

        Rich Wood

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Chmara" <lists@...> wrote:

        > Hi, new group member here. I'm in the process of collecting parts to build
        > an Xtracycle, and I have most of the bits I need. I've recently acquired a
        > '93 Trek 930 frame, a Surly 1x1 fork (I want disc brakes for winter riding),
        > a FreeRadical, a pair of WideLoaders, and earlier today, I picked up a donor
        > MTB that will provide derailleurs, shifters, disc brakes, wheels, cassette,
        > crankset, BB, and headset. I'll pull a seat post, saddle, and stem from my
        > stash.
        >

        > Next on the list is some combo of P or V-Racks, and FreeLoaders or a Hoodie.
        > The P-Racks appeal to me because I already own several nice sets of panniers
        > and the P-Racks will let me use the panniers as well as the Hoodie. But I
        > have a couple of P-Rack questions.
        >

        > 1) What is it about the P-Racks that makes them incompatible with
        > FreeLoaders?
        >
        > 2) How well do the P-Racks actually work with panniers? It seems like
        > they would only work well with panniers long enough so that the inside face
        > of the pannier was resting against the FreeRadical frame.
        >

        > Glad to have found the group and thanks in advance for any responses,
        >
        > Bob Chmara
        >
        > Southfield, Michigan, USA

      • John Wilde
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 31, 2010
          Hi, Bob,

          Welcome,
          I do not have any idea as to the answer to your second question.

          I got my X before they came out with the P-racks.  I think that I would have opted for the V-racks/freeloaders any way, because they are so much easier to deal with, as far as loading issues go.

          With panniers, I had to pack things in there, and was somewhat limited as to size of the items that I could carry.

          With the V-racks/freeloaders combo, I just toss things in them and away I go.  The only downside for me is that panniers are a little more weather resistant.

          Just my $.02 worth.
          Blessings,
          John

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 6, 2010
            This is what I've observed. I have some Novara touring panniers on hand that fit the bill lengthwise, but another concern is that the top clips are high enough towards the top of the bag that the full height of the bag is actually useful for this. I've noticed quite a few panniers have the clips down nearer the midsection of the bag, and I suspect the bottom of the bag would actually wind up in the wheel.

            This clip height is also important to keep the bag from interfering with any load strapped to the deck -- in my case, a baby seat.

            Today I picked up a pair of much simpler Novara "Transit" panniers ( http://www.rei.com/product/780451 ) which have the requisite high clip placement and necessary length. They're plainer looking than many -- blend with the freeloader aesthetic better; not as flashy as some others that might attract unwanted attention when racked. I'll do a quick test fit tomorrow and, if that works out, a grocery run Friday.

            Many of the "convertible shopping bag" and "shopping bag holder" type panniers I'm interested in for this bike are either too squat, or have the clips located too low to be useful to me.

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 6, 2010
              If needed you could buy some Nylon strap material and make up a horizontal strap for the P racks to keep the panniers from swinging inwards into the rear wheel. IIRC REI has quite a selection of nylon strap available in bulk. I have also seen it at some hardware stores. A relatively easy to make accessory.

              Make it with looped ends so it slides onto the P rack vertical tubes about like the standard Freeloader goes on the V rack.

              From a center of gravity standpoint panniers should sit on racks as low as possible. Also on a standard bike rear panniers should be as far forward as possible without causing heel strike. Both make for a more stable ride. When loading the heaviest items should be as low and forward as possible in the panniers.

              Rich Wood