Re: [rootsradicals] Re: bikes for girls

  • Andrew Janjigian
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 14, 2006
      I didn't mean to dig on internal hub gears. Before my Nexus 7 failed, I loved it. (It is nice to be able to shift while stopped.) And I have heard that the N 8 is much, much better, and maybe good enough to take the beating that a loaded XC dishes out.

      Andrew

      On Feb 13, 2006, at 8:27 PM, Kipchoge Spencer wrote:

      Though it's not yet on the site, we've just begun selling the Breezer Uptown SUB. It has an 8-speed internal Nexus and a chainguard, as well as front and rear lights powered by a hub dynamo. It's a real bike. http://breezerbikes.com/bike_details.cfm?bikeType=town&frame=d&bike=uptown

      According to Joe Breeze, the 8 speed Nexus is a lot nicer than the others, and has a much great range of gear ratios. I can't really say for sure that it's more robust. I have destroyed a Nexus hub, but I've also destroyed a 9-speed cassette freewheel mechanism. If you really hammer on a gear system with a big load in a low gear for a long time, you can indeed break it.

      Andrew is correct about it being more difficult to install, but that only happens once, and then it's easier to shift forever (theoretically at least) and you can shift while stopped.

      paz,
      kipchoge

      On 13 Feb 2006 21:37:57 -0000, rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com < rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      There are 6 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

            1. Re: Bikes for girls?
                 From: "Susan" <maps@...>
            2. Re: Re: Bikes for girls?
                 From: Paula McConnell < paulamcconnellbks@...>
            3. Re: Bikes for girls?
                 From: "Susan" <maps@...>
            4. Re: Re: Bikes for girls?
                 From: TheJonesgal@...
            5. Re: Re: Bikes for girls?
                 From: fahrner@...
            6. Re: Re: Bikes for girls?
                 From: Andrew Janjigian <ajanjigian@...>

      Message: 1
         Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 20:20:01 -0000
         From: "Susan" <maps@... >
      Subject: Re: Bikes for girls?

      I couldn't help but notice that the chainguard on my Schwinn looks
      like it would work just fine even if there were an extra mess of chain
      attached to it.  So unless your skirts are really full (I think - I'm
      not good at picturing things!)  I think any regular chain guard could
      still work.

      I am really liking my bike now.  I was having second thoughts on
      spending that much money but now that it has happened, I really have
      taken the bike places already that I'd have hopped into the car for,
      because I wasn't going to have to figure out how to manage that dish
      of food.  THey're also just plain bigger than they look in the
      pictures - about time and a half what I had imagined (but then, I
      don't imagine sizes well...)

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "paulamcconnellbks"
      <paulamcconnellbks@...> wrote:

      > Hey radicals,
      >
      > Loved the bit in the grist, I'm seriously looking into trading in my
      > roadbike for one of these.  Got a question however...I'm a person of
      > faith who wears dresses everyday.  (Trust me - that can be quite
      > radical too)  What can you do for a chain guard so that my calico
      > dresses don't get covered in grease?
      >
      > Living simply,
      > Paula

      Message: 2
         Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 14:45:54 -0800 (PST)
         From: Paula McConnell < paulamcconnellbks@...>
      Subject: Re: Re: Bikes for girls?

      Hi Susan!

        Thanks for thinking of me!  I have decided to sell my bike and buy  an xtracycle but I still don't know if that means finding a decent bike  and ordering the kit or ordering a whole longbike.  I'm moving  into a city this coming August and want the bike to replace my car but  for this to really work I'm going to need to wear my regular clothes as  much as possible.  I don't want some wimpy cruiser or hybrid, I  was a serious cyclist and still want a serious bike...but with a chain  guard and mud-flaps...you see my dilemma...

        Keep sending me reports on how you like your new new xtracycle. It'll  help me convince my hubby that selling my brand-new road bike for one  of these is not so crazy!

        And if you are really curious on what I wear...check out my blog. I have pictures!

        Peace,
        Paula
        www.leadingorled.blogspot.com

      Susan <maps@...> wrote:          I couldn't help but notice that the chainguard on my Schwinn looks

        <paulamcconnellbks@...> wrote:

        > Hey radicals,
        >
        > Loved the bit in the grist, I'm seriously looking into trading in my
        > roadbike for one of these.  Got a question however...I'm a person of
        > faith who wears dresses everyday.  (Trust me - that can be quite
        > radical too)  What can you do for a chain guard so that my calico
        > dresses don't get covered in grease?
        >
        > Living simply,
        > Paula

        ride to believe.

                                                              Konjac root                                          Roots blower                                          Ginseng root                                                                          Root canal                                          Root canal therapy                                          Burdock root

      ---------------------------------

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 3
         Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 02:40:14 -0000
         From: "Susan" <maps@...>

      Believe it or not, I just saw your blog before I cam here -   I found
      it googling "Quaker Dress" since our college is doing "Black History
      LIve" and they weren't quite ready for me to be Sojourner Truth, so
      I'm going to be the Quaker lady who took her in. (I will give clues
      and the students will guess who I'm talking about.)  I'm not going to
      have to work too hard on the costume :-)

      THe complete bikes look like pretty good bikes (it's not a brand I'm
      familiar with though).   I really like my Trek 7500 FX which is really
      only a hybrid on the handlebars (and the big tires I didn't get - I
      opted for 25 cm tires) - don't know how it would handle mudflaps &
      chain guard.  Trek also has some all-out "commuting" bikes, too ...
      though it seems I can't find as many as there were last year - talk
      about a marketing error! (http://www.commuterbicycle.com/ had a link
      to one that had a protected chain... but it doesn't seem to be
      accessible from this year's site... but that may mean you could get it
      cheaply).    I know my bike shop guy would love the challenge of
      making a workable bike like that.  Illinois is a little out of the
      way, though.

      <paulamcconnellbks@...> wrote:

      > Hi Susan!
      >
      >   Thanks for thinking of me!  I have decided to sell my bike and buy
      an xtracycle but I still don't know if that means finding a decent
      bike  and ordering the kit or ordering a whole longbike.  I'm moving
      into a city this coming August and want the bike to replace my car but
      for this to really work I'm going to need to wear my regular clothes
      as  much as possible.  I don't want some wimpy cruiser or hybrid, I
      was a serious cyclist and still want a serious bike...but with a chain
      guard and mud-flaps...you see my dilemma...

      >   Keep sending me reports on how you like your new new xtracycle.
      It'll  help me convince my hubby that selling my brand-new road bike
      for one  of these is not so crazy!

      >   And if you are really curious on what I wear...check out my blog.
      I have pictures!

      >   Peace,
      >   Paula
      >   www.leadingorled.blogspot.com
      >
      > Susan <maps@...> wrote:          I couldn't help but notice that the
      chainguard on my Schwinn looks
      >   like it would work just fine even if there were an extra mess of chain
      >   attached to it.  So unless your skirts are really full (I think - I'm
      >   not good at picturing things!)  I think any regular chain guard could
      >   still work.
      >
      >   I am really liking my bike now.  I was having second thoughts on
      >   spending that much money but now that it has happened, I really have
      >   taken the bike places already that I'd have hopped into the car for,
      >   because I wasn't going to have to figure out how to manage that dish
      >   of food.  THey're also just plain bigger than they look in the
      >   pictures - about time and a half what I had imagined (but then, I
      >   don't imagine sizes well...)
      >

      >   --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "paulamcconnellbks"
      >   <paulamcconnellbks@> wrote:
      >   >
      >   > Hey radicals,
      >   >
      >   > Loved the bit in the grist, I'm seriously looking into trading in my
      >   > roadbike for one of these.  Got a question however...I'm a person of
      >   > faith who wears dresses everyday.  (Trust me - that can be quite
      >   > radical too)  What can you do for a chain guard so that my calico
      >   > dresses don't get covered in grease?
      >   >
      >   > Living simply,
      >   > Paula
      >   >
      >

      >     You're getting this message because you signed up to be an
      Xtracycle roots radical.

      >   ride to believe.

      >                                                         Konjac root
                                               Roots blower
                               Ginseng root
                                               Root canal
                             Root canal therapy
                   Burdock root

      Service.

      > ---------------------------------

      Message: 4
         Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 22:08:22 EST
         From: TheJonesgal@...

      I have a Raleigh "girl bike" It's only a 7-speed cruiser but I do love it.
      My commute is only 3 miles each way and I had a very limited budget when I got
      it and the xtracycle at the same time.
      Without riding during the rainy month of January, and now riding again, the
      hills are pretty difficult and I found myself daydreaming about something
      easier  to get up the hills as I was feeling ready to keel over yesterday! I know
      I'll  get back in shape soon though.

      Gerry

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 5
         Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 19:34:49 -0800 (PST)
         From: fahrner@...

      > I have a Raleigh "girl bike" It's only a 7-speed cruiser but I do love it.
      > My commute is only 3 miles each way and I had a very limited budget when I
      > got
      > it and the xtracycle at the same time.
      > Without riding during the rainy month of January, and now riding again,
      > the
      > hills are pretty difficult and I found myself daydreaming about something
      > easier  to get up the hills as I was feeling ready to keel over yesterday!

      You've gotten at the issue with chain guards: they're pretty easy to get
      (or put) on bikes that don't have a lot of gears. Lots of gears generally
      mean multiple front chainrings, and the more effective kinds of
      chainguards don't get along with front derailleurs. If you don't need to
      climb steep hills with cargo, there are plenty of bikes that would
      accommodate calico-skirted riding. Kipchoge rides an Electra Townie at
      least some of the time: I'd provide a direct link if Electra's site
      weren't done in link-hostile Flash (sigh). Some Townies come with
      few-enough gears to come also with chainguards.

      Would it be acceptable to wear leg coverings under the dress and hitch the
      dress up enough while riding to keep it clean? Something like bloomers:
      http://www.jolique.com/undergarments/bloomers%20_and_bicycles.htm

      Message: 6
         Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 09:32:23 -0500
         From: Andrew Janjigian <ajanjigian@...>

      The one thing to keep in mind about cruisers or other hub-geared
      bikes with a Freeradical mounted on them is that the extra load can
      do in a hub gear fairly quickly, in my experience. I had my first
      build on a Bianchi Milano, and it turned crunchy within the first
      year. I could have been a fluke, but I'm pretty sure I've heard
      similar stories from others.

      And hub gears are more expensive and more hassle to replace than
      derailleurs when they do go.

      My 2�,
      Andrew

      On Feb 12, 2006, at 10:34 PM, fahrner@... wrote:

      > > I have a Raleigh "girl bike" It's only a 7-speed cruiser but I do
      > love it.
      > > My commute is only 3 miles each way and I had a very limited
      > budget when I
      > > got
      > > it and the xtracycle at the same time.
      > > Without riding during the rainy month of January, and now riding
      > again,
      > > the
      > > hills are pretty difficult and I found myself daydreaming about
      > something
      > > easier  to get up the hills as I was feeling ready to keel over
      > yesterday!
      >
      > You've gotten at the issue with chain guards: they're pretty easy
      > to get
      > (or put) on bikes that don't have a lot of gears. Lots of gears
      > generally
      > mean multiple front chainrings, and the more effective kinds of
      > chainguards don't get along with front derailleurs. If you don't
      > need to
      > climb steep hills with cargo, there are plenty of bikes that would
      > accommodate calico-skirted riding. Kipchoge rides an Electra Townie at
      > least some of the time: I'd provide a direct link if Electra's site
      > weren't done in link-hostile Flash (sigh). Some Townies come with
      > few-enough gears to come also with chainguards.
      >
      > Would it be acceptable to wear leg coverings under the dress and
      > hitch the
      > dress up enough while riding to keep it clean? Something like
      > bloomers:
      > http://www.jolique.com/undergarments/bloomers%20_and_bicycles.htm
      >

      > You're getting this message because you signed up to be an
      > Xtracycle roots radical.

      > ride to believe.

      > Konjac root   Roots blower    Ginseng root
      > Root canal    Root canal therapy      Burdock root
      >
      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >
      >  Visit your group "rootsradicals" on the web.
      >
      >  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
      >
      >  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

      [This message contained attachments]

      ride to believe.

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Kipchoge Spencer

      Xtracycle
      Kipchoge and the Ginger Ninjas
      29085 Highway 49
      North San Juan CA 95960
      530/292-1401
      www.xtracycle.com
      www.gingerninjas.com
      www.pleasantrevolution.net

      ride to believe.

      Konjac root Roots blower Ginseng root
      Root canal Root canal therapy Burdock root

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    • Andrew Jacobs
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 15, 2006
        Or, if money is no object, the 14 speed super nice internal hub...

        http://www.webcyclery.com/product.php?productid=17032&cat=340&page=1

        Andy

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Janjigian