Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Poor handling with an xtracycle

  • Devian Gilbert
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 13, 2007
      I've learned the bunny hop = front wheel off the ground trick, but its still not that smooth graceful move you can do on a regular bike.
      my convert is to a Cannondale F900 with a headshok, its more like ridding a tandem without the stoker.
      im fine with it for what it is.
      as to wide loaders....
      it seems to me the obvious answer is to make the wide loaders foldable.
      folded up when not in use
      folded down, when in use.
      lawn chair style
      X-wing
      something along those lines
      to be honest...my Xtra sits alot
      most of my stuff can be handled with the Pug and its panniers.
      every so often i need the Xtra, but its rare these days.

      on the tanget of Bike Life and Simplification
      mostly i run around these days with a large messenger bag.

      peace...d

      On 2007-06-13, at 11:49 AM, sunny keach wrote:
      > My biggest beef about the freeradical are the wide loaders, I carry
      > my kids and big stuff all the time and leave them mounted most of
      > the time, at first I would get my foot caugt under them on my push
      > off, mangling my heel or ankle. ouch!! especially up hills or fully
      > loaded,

      Ditto for the footsies. Weirdest thing is, it hurts like hell when
      you do it, but so far, no lasting ill effects. (I run the footsie
      tube right up my Achilles tendon.)
      > I can't ride no-hands with my extracycle, it feels too long to do it,
      > I have to figure out how to recalibrate or something.
      I've learned on quite a few different bikes, and there is definitely
      a period of adjustment. The xtracycle was a little harder because
      the handling changes with each load. I couldn't tell you if it was
      more or less skitzy than the other bikes; the combo of longer
      wheelbase and more load on the front wheel is quite different.

      David

    • chris szczerba
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 15, 2007
        Hi

        I've got an xtracycle attached to a kona kilauea and haven't had any
        problems with handling at all. Currently, I've got suspension forks on the
        front, but have also used it with rigid Project 2's with no handling issues.

        Weight on the back doesn't improve handling at all. Over a certain weight -
        around 30kg - the handling gets understandably less certain. The only
        benefit I've found with having a load on the back is on slippery surfaces,
        where it helps reduce rear wheel spin.

        Sounds a bit obvious, but have you checked your headset/stem?

        Cheers

        Chris

        >From: Jason Farlette <jfarlette@...>
        >To: <rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [rootsradicals] Poor handling with an xtracycle
        >Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 16:52:10 +0000
        >
        >I just put an xtracycle on an early nineties Kona Explosive with a rigid
        >fork. This frame was built before front suspension was the norm so it was
        >designed for a rigid fork. Adding the xtracycle has turned a nice handling
        >bike into a tank. The front end seems overloaded now. I have yet to haul
        >a heavy load - does the handling improve when the back is weighted more? I
        >am surprised I have not heard anyone else complain about the the loss of
        >handling - maybe I am too picky?
        >
        >Jason
        >Invite your mail contacts to join your friends list with Windows Live
        >Spaces. It's easy!
        >http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us

        Play your part in making history - Email Britain!
        http://www.emailbritain.co.uk/
      • akyramoto
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 20, 2007
          my X is mounted on a 2006 Kona smoke, which is all rigid. I havent
          had any handling problems at all. I think mine rides great with the X
          in tow
          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Jason Farlette <jfarlette@...>