Re: Poor handling with an xtracycle

  • sunny keach
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 13, 2007
      > the Xtracycle is very different from what the bike use to be.
      > my biggest gripe is not being able to wheelie/lift the front wheel to
      > get over things like, curbs, while at slow speed.

      that was a big thing for me as I liked to wheely all the time and
      never saw curbs as an obstacle, just a bunny hop opportunity. I have
      gotten to where I can get the front wheel up real high with some
      effort, it's a bit more like doing a bunny hop than a wheely, as
      instead of pulling back with your weight, it's all about jumping up
      and taking the bike with you. I have thought about having a pasenger
      sit back and bit and try to wheely my beast, ill advised I would guess.

      My biggest beef about the freeradical are the wide loaders, I carry my
      kids and big stuff all the time and leave them mounted most of the
      time, at first I would get my foot caugt under them on my push off,
      mangling my heel or ankle. ouch!! especially up hills or fully loaded,
      it hurts so bad you would think I would do it only once, but it's
      happened a dozen times easy, it seems one ride on a different bike
      and I let go of the new habit of not pushing off.

      I can't ride no-hands with my extracycle, it feels too long to do it,
      I have to figure out how to recalibrate or something.

      Good news though I happened across another xtracycle here in
      asheville, I thought I was the only one.

      Sunny
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 13, 2007
        On 2007-06-13, at 11:49 AM, sunny keach wrote:
        > My biggest beef about the freeradical are the wide loaders, I carry
        > my kids and big stuff all the time and leave them mounted most of
        > the time, at first I would get my foot caugt under them on my push
        > off, mangling my heel or ankle. ouch!! especially up hills or fully
        > loaded,

        Ditto for the footsies. Weirdest thing is, it hurts like hell when
        you do it, but so far, no lasting ill effects. (I run the footsie
        tube right up my Achilles tendon.)
        > I can't ride no-hands with my extracycle, it feels too long to do it,
        > I have to figure out how to recalibrate or something.
        I've learned on quite a few different bikes, and there is definitely
        a period of adjustment. The xtracycle was a little harder because
        the handling changes with each load. I couldn't tell you if it was
        more or less skitzy than the other bikes; the combo of longer
        wheelbase and more load on the front wheel is quite different.

        David
      • Devian Gilbert
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 13, 2007
          I've learned the bunny hop = front wheel off the ground trick, but its still not that smooth graceful move you can do on a regular bike.
          my convert is to a Cannondale F900 with a headshok, its more like ridding a tandem without the stoker.
          im fine with it for what it is.
          as to wide loaders....
          it seems to me the obvious answer is to make the wide loaders foldable.
          folded up when not in use
          folded down, when in use.
          lawn chair style
          X-wing
          something along those lines
          to be honest...my Xtra sits alot
          most of my stuff can be handled with the Pug and its panniers.
          every so often i need the Xtra, but its rare these days.

          on the tanget of Bike Life and Simplification
          mostly i run around these days with a large messenger bag.

          peace...d

          On 2007-06-13, at 11:49 AM, sunny keach wrote:
          > My biggest beef about the freeradical are the wide loaders, I carry
          > my kids and big stuff all the time and leave them mounted most of
          > the time, at first I would get my foot caugt under them on my push
          > off, mangling my heel or ankle. ouch!! especially up hills or fully
          > loaded,

          Ditto for the footsies. Weirdest thing is, it hurts like hell when
          you do it, but so far, no lasting ill effects. (I run the footsie
          tube right up my Achilles tendon.)
          > I can't ride no-hands with my extracycle, it feels too long to do it,
          > I have to figure out how to recalibrate or something.
          I've learned on quite a few different bikes, and there is definitely
          a period of adjustment. The xtracycle was a little harder because
          the handling changes with each load. I couldn't tell you if it was
          more or less skitzy than the other bikes; the combo of longer
          wheelbase and more load on the front wheel is quite different.

          David

        • chris szczerba
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 15, 2007
            Hi

            I've got an xtracycle attached to a kona kilauea and haven't had any
            problems with handling at all. Currently, I've got suspension forks on the
            front, but have also used it with rigid Project 2's with no handling issues.

            Weight on the back doesn't improve handling at all. Over a certain weight -
            around 30kg - the handling gets understandably less certain. The only
            benefit I've found with having a load on the back is on slippery surfaces,
            where it helps reduce rear wheel spin.

            Sounds a bit obvious, but have you checked your headset/stem?

            Cheers

            Chris

            >From: Jason Farlette <jfarlette@...>
            >To: <rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: [rootsradicals] Poor handling with an xtracycle
            >Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 16:52:10 +0000
            >
            >I just put an xtracycle on an early nineties Kona Explosive with a rigid
            >fork. This frame was built before front suspension was the norm so it was
            >designed for a rigid fork. Adding the xtracycle has turned a nice handling
            >bike into a tank. The front end seems overloaded now. I have yet to haul
            >a heavy load - does the handling improve when the back is weighted more? I
            >am surprised I have not heard anyone else complain about the the loss of
            >handling - maybe I am too picky?
            >
            >Jason
            >Invite your mail contacts to join your friends list with Windows Live
            >Spaces. It's easy!
            >http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us

            Play your part in making history - Email Britain!
            http://www.emailbritain.co.uk/
          • akyramoto
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 20, 2007
              my X is mounted on a 2006 Kona smoke, which is all rigid. I havent
              had any handling problems at all. I think mine rides great with the X
              in tow
              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Jason Farlette <jfarlette@...>