Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Poor handling with an xtracycle

  • Ryano
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 13, 2007
      I'll second Alex - I use an xtra on a cheap front suspended mountain bike with nice big fat smooth tyres. Front suspension works nicely with xtra, and changing the handlebars to big swoopy things made it even better.  It rides amazingly smoothly for the bicycle equivalent of a tank.

      Ryan

      On 13/06/07, alexbknight <Alexbknight@...> wrote:

      Hi,
      I originally put my xtracycle on an Orange mountain bike. It was
      terrible, flexy and bad handling on the front end.
      I have since mounted it on a front suspension Aluminium framed
      mountain bike and it is a lot better, but I trawled the forum to know
      how to get it good:

      - "sit up and beg" handle bars. These move your weight off of the
      front wheel, and also give a better position for the road. I can't
      stand riding my other bikes now.
      - Nice big tyres (Big apples) help the ride. Keep them pumped up
      hard though or the flex comes back. These are also needed for when
      you want to ride up kerbs.
      - Front suspension is a benefit, mainly for the kerbs though, because
      for the rest of the time it needs to be pumped hard for the extra
      weight.
      - I haven't needed to move the bottom bracket mounting, but the
      Bracket does get higher, you get used to it.

      I think in hindsight the handlebars made the biggest difference,
      start there and if that doesn't work on your current bike, buy a new
      one :-)

      As for handling, had various people on the back, plus loads, you need
      the loads strapped in to stop them flapping around, and the tyres
      nice and hard, then most flex disappears.

      Good luck.

      Alex

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, David Chase <dr2chase@...>

      wrote:

      > On 2007-06-12, at 12:52 PM, Jason Farlette wrote:
      > > The front end seems overloaded now.
      > There is more weight on it because the rear wheel is moved back.
      >
      > One thing you can fiddle (depending on your kickstand plate) is the
      > height of your bottom bracket, and that can change your handling.
      > I adjusted mine to make it lower, and I think I like the handling
      > better.
      > There are limits -- I cannot combine my large front chainring with
      the
      > largest gear or two in the rear without the chain scraping the Free
      > Radical.
      >
      > But -- I can happily ride my bike no-hands, for minutes at a time,
      > loaded,
      > or not.
      > > I have yet to haul a heavy load - does the handling improve when
      > > the back is weighted more? I am surprised I have not heard
      anyone
      > > else complain about the the loss of handling - maybe I am too
      picky?

    • sunny keach
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 13, 2007
        > the Xtracycle is very different from what the bike use to be.
        > my biggest gripe is not being able to wheelie/lift the front wheel to
        > get over things like, curbs, while at slow speed.

        that was a big thing for me as I liked to wheely all the time and
        never saw curbs as an obstacle, just a bunny hop opportunity. I have
        gotten to where I can get the front wheel up real high with some
        effort, it's a bit more like doing a bunny hop than a wheely, as
        instead of pulling back with your weight, it's all about jumping up
        and taking the bike with you. I have thought about having a pasenger
        sit back and bit and try to wheely my beast, ill advised I would guess.

        My biggest beef about the freeradical are the wide loaders, I carry my
        kids and big stuff all the time and leave them mounted most of the
        time, at first I would get my foot caugt under them on my push off,
        mangling my heel or ankle. ouch!! especially up hills or fully loaded,
        it hurts so bad you would think I would do it only once, but it's
        happened a dozen times easy, it seems one ride on a different bike
        and I let go of the new habit of not pushing off.

        I can't ride no-hands with my extracycle, it feels too long to do it,
        I have to figure out how to recalibrate or something.

        Good news though I happened across another xtracycle here in
        asheville, I thought I was the only one.

        Sunny
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 13, 2007
          On 2007-06-13, at 11:49 AM, sunny keach wrote:
          > My biggest beef about the freeradical are the wide loaders, I carry
          > my kids and big stuff all the time and leave them mounted most of
          > the time, at first I would get my foot caugt under them on my push
          > off, mangling my heel or ankle. ouch!! especially up hills or fully
          > loaded,

          Ditto for the footsies. Weirdest thing is, it hurts like hell when
          you do it, but so far, no lasting ill effects. (I run the footsie
          tube right up my Achilles tendon.)
          > I can't ride no-hands with my extracycle, it feels too long to do it,
          > I have to figure out how to recalibrate or something.
          I've learned on quite a few different bikes, and there is definitely
          a period of adjustment. The xtracycle was a little harder because
          the handling changes with each load. I couldn't tell you if it was
          more or less skitzy than the other bikes; the combo of longer
          wheelbase and more load on the front wheel is quite different.

          David
        • Devian Gilbert
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 13, 2007
            I've learned the bunny hop = front wheel off the ground trick, but its still not that smooth graceful move you can do on a regular bike.
            my convert is to a Cannondale F900 with a headshok, its more like ridding a tandem without the stoker.
            im fine with it for what it is.
            as to wide loaders....
            it seems to me the obvious answer is to make the wide loaders foldable.
            folded up when not in use
            folded down, when in use.
            lawn chair style
            X-wing
            something along those lines
            to be honest...my Xtra sits alot
            most of my stuff can be handled with the Pug and its panniers.
            every so often i need the Xtra, but its rare these days.

            on the tanget of Bike Life and Simplification
            mostly i run around these days with a large messenger bag.

            peace...d

            On 2007-06-13, at 11:49 AM, sunny keach wrote:
            > My biggest beef about the freeradical are the wide loaders, I carry
            > my kids and big stuff all the time and leave them mounted most of
            > the time, at first I would get my foot caugt under them on my push
            > off, mangling my heel or ankle. ouch!! especially up hills or fully
            > loaded,

            Ditto for the footsies. Weirdest thing is, it hurts like hell when
            you do it, but so far, no lasting ill effects. (I run the footsie
            tube right up my Achilles tendon.)
            > I can't ride no-hands with my extracycle, it feels too long to do it,
            > I have to figure out how to recalibrate or something.
            I've learned on quite a few different bikes, and there is definitely
            a period of adjustment. The xtracycle was a little harder because
            the handling changes with each load. I couldn't tell you if it was
            more or less skitzy than the other bikes; the combo of longer
            wheelbase and more load on the front wheel is quite different.

            David

          • chris szczerba
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 15, 2007
              Hi

              I've got an xtracycle attached to a kona kilauea and haven't had any
              problems with handling at all. Currently, I've got suspension forks on the
              front, but have also used it with rigid Project 2's with no handling issues.

              Weight on the back doesn't improve handling at all. Over a certain weight -
              around 30kg - the handling gets understandably less certain. The only
              benefit I've found with having a load on the back is on slippery surfaces,
              where it helps reduce rear wheel spin.

              Sounds a bit obvious, but have you checked your headset/stem?

              Cheers

              Chris

              >From: Jason Farlette <jfarlette@...>
              >To: <rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: [rootsradicals] Poor handling with an xtracycle
              >Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 16:52:10 +0000
              >
              >I just put an xtracycle on an early nineties Kona Explosive with a rigid
              >fork. This frame was built before front suspension was the norm so it was
              >designed for a rigid fork. Adding the xtracycle has turned a nice handling
              >bike into a tank. The front end seems overloaded now. I have yet to haul
              >a heavy load - does the handling improve when the back is weighted more? I
              >am surprised I have not heard anyone else complain about the the loss of
              >handling - maybe I am too picky?
              >
              >Jason
              >Invite your mail contacts to join your friends list with Windows Live
              >Spaces. It's easy!
              >http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us

              Play your part in making history - Email Britain!
              http://www.emailbritain.co.uk/
            • akyramoto
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 20, 2007
                my X is mounted on a 2006 Kona smoke, which is all rigid. I havent
                had any handling problems at all. I think mine rides great with the X
                in tow
                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Jason Farlette <jfarlette@...>
                wrote:

                > I just put an xtracycle on an early nineties Kona Explosive with a
                rigid fork. This frame was built before front suspension was the norm
                so it was designed for a rigid fork. Adding the xtracycle has turned
                a nice handling bike into a tank. The front end seems overloaded
                now. I have yet to haul a heavy load - does the handling improve when