Re: [rootsradicals] Re: BB-7 install

  • Devin
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 4 12:42 PM
      Sorry to be dense, but why would one use the 160mm adapter for 203 rotors? My first disk brake install.
      Thanks,
      Devin

      On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 2:29 PM, speedub_nate <speedub.nate@...> wrote:

      If you're running a 203, you need to be using a rear 160mn adapter on the FreeRadical, oriented in the direction indicated on the adapter.

      --
      In Frith,
      Devin
      My blood is not my own,
      but a gift borrowed from my ancestors,
      to generations yet unborn.
    • phaedrus at yahoo
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 4 12:51 PM
        Someone else already mentioned the adapter you'll need.  You'll also want to make sure you have something to keep your freerad from putting pressure on your brakes - I had some rough experiences with that last year.

        - phaedrus

        On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 1:56 PM, Devin <coultraguy@...> wrote:

        I am installing the BB-7 rear disk brakes on my X which is a 700 freeradical now using 26" wheels and I am curious if folks who have mounted BB-7's would enlighten on which direction the rear 203 IS mounting bracket goes? The bracket has 2 legs one short and one long. According to the user manual pictures it looks like the short leg goes to the front of the bike. When I do this, my rotor will not spin freely through the caliper as it hits the top of the caliper. The shop recommended flipping the bracket and I am looking for folks who have dealt with this.
        --
        In Frith,
        Devin
        My blood is not my own,
        but a gift borrowed from my ancestors,
        to generations yet unborn.

      • speedub_nate
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 4 2:17 PM
          This is one of those "just because" answers -- it's how Xtracycle designed it, I'm sure due to some idiosyncrasy of the design.
          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Devin <coultraguy@...> wrote:

          > Sorry to be dense, but why would one use the 160mm adapter for 203 rotors?
          > My first disk brake install.
          > Thanks,
          >vt
          >
          > On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 2:29 PM, speedub_nate <speedub.nate@...> wrote:
          >

          > > If you're running a 203, you need to be using a rear 160mn adapter on the
          > > FreeRadical, oriented in the direction indicated on the adapter.
          > >

          > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com <rootsradicals%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > > Devin <coultraguy@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I am installing the BB-7 rear disk brakes on my X which is a 700
          > > freeradical
          > > > now using 26" wheels and I am curious if folks who have mounted BB-7's
          > > would
          > > > enlighten on which direction the rear 203 IS mounting bracket goes? The
          > > > bracket has 2 legs one short and one long. According to the user
          > > > manual<http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/95-5015-008-000.pdf>pictures
          > >
          > > > it looks like the short leg goes to the front of the bike. When I
          > > > do this, my rotor will not spin freely through the caliper as it hits the
          > > > top of the caliper. The shop recommended flipping the bracket and I am
          > > > looking for folks who have dealt with this.
          > > > --
          > > > In Frith,
          > > > Devin
          > > > My blood is not my own,
          > > > but a gift borrowed from my ancestors,
          > > > to generations yet unborn.
          > > >

          > --
          > In Frith,
          > Devin
          > My blood is not my own,
          > but a gift borrowed from my ancestors,
          > to generations yet unborn.

        • Rick Pickett
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 4 2:24 PM
            Due to the placement of the rotor mounts on the FreeRadical you need 203mm rotors. Also, you want more surface area to dissipate the heat, esp under large loads + lots of braking (think going downhill).

            Cheers,
            Rick

            PS Here's a good video on setting up your BB7s: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkp2WFjuqYg

            "When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race."  – H.G. Wells

            graphical structuralist rick@...
            888.537-1401 x709 | oh the things you'll haul

            --
            In Frith,
            Devin
            My blood is not my own,
            but a gift borrowed from my ancestors,
            to generations yet unborn.

          • rt_schafer
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 4 2:34 PM
              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Devin <coultraguy@...> wrote:

              > Sorry to be dense, but why would one use the 160mm adapter for 203 rotors?
              > My first disk brake install.

              I'm about to do this same install myself (203mm Avid BB7 on 700c FR mounted on a mtb frame using 26" wheels.) The adapter requirement appears to be due to XtraCycle's design decision to place the brake mount 21.5mm from the standard location:

              http://www.xtracycle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=228

              http://www.xtracycle.com/longtailtech/index.php/Disc_Brake_Mount

              Disclaimer: I am a complete XtraCycle neophyte. Is this the required adapter?

              http://www.treefortbikes.com/208_333222337919__Frame-Adapter-160mm.html
            • speedub_nate
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 4 3:36 PM
                That's the correct adapter for a 203mm rotor. If you'd like to run a more sensible 185mm rotor, you would use a >front< 160mm adapter

                The 203mm rotor really strikes me as overkill. Even the 185 is touchy on an unloaded bike. I can't imagine a situation where I'd desire a 203 rear short of lots of steep, long, fast loaded descents.

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 4 3:51 PM
                  I hope it is the other one that came with the brake set. I am stopping by my lbs to verify

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 4 6:29 PM
                    It was not, so now I have to go back to the LBS to pick one up. Arrgh.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 4 7:54 PM
                      Rick, you guys given any thought to switching over to post mount in the rear? That would eliminate the need to mix and match rotors and adapters.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 5 8:05 AM
                        Not to my knowledge. I wasn't around when the IS standard was used, but will pass the suggestion along.

                        "The city needs a car like a fish needs a bicycle."  – Dean Kamen

                        graphic mechanic rick@...
                        888.537-1401 x709 | long live long bikes

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 8 1:59 AM
                          I'm curious to hear any follow-up. Last year was supposed to be "the year" that rear Post Mount tabs became fairly standard from many of the frame manufacturers. I haven't been paying close attention, but I don't think it happened. Nevertheless, it seems like a sound idea (except now there would be two more threaded holes in the frame to cross thread or strip out). It would seem like a tidy solution for the FreeRadical.