Re: BB-7 install

  • speedub_nate
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 4, 2010
      If you're running a 203, you need to be using a rear 160mn adapter on the FreeRadical, oriented in the direction indicated on the adapter.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Devin <coultraguy@...> wrote:

      > I am installing the BB-7 rear disk brakes on my X which is a 700 freeradical
      > now using 26" wheels and I am curious if folks who have mounted BB-7's would
      > enlighten on which direction the rear 203 IS mounting bracket goes? The
      > bracket has 2 legs one short and one long. According to the user
      > manual<http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/95-5015-008-000.pdf>pictures
      > it looks like the short leg goes to the front of the bike. When I
      > do this, my rotor will not spin freely through the caliper as it hits the
      > top of the caliper. The shop recommended flipping the bracket and I am
      > looking for folks who have dealt with this.
      > --
      > In Frith,
      > Devin
      > My blood is not my own,
      > but a gift borrowed from my ancestors,
      > to generations yet unborn.

    • Devin
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 4, 2010
        Sorry to be dense, but why would one use the 160mm adapter for 203 rotors? My first disk brake install.
        Thanks,
        Devin

        --
        In Frith,
        Devin
        My blood is not my own,
        but a gift borrowed from my ancestors,
        to generations yet unborn.
      • phaedrus at yahoo
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 4, 2010
          Someone else already mentioned the adapter you'll need.  You'll also want to make sure you have something to keep your freerad from putting pressure on your brakes - I had some rough experiences with that last year.

          - phaedrus

          On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 1:56 PM, Devin <coultraguy@...> wrote:

          I am installing the BB-7 rear disk brakes on my X which is a 700 freeradical now using 26" wheels and I am curious if folks who have mounted BB-7's would enlighten on which direction the rear 203 IS mounting bracket goes? The bracket has 2 legs one short and one long. According to the user manual pictures it looks like the short leg goes to the front of the bike. When I do this, my rotor will not spin freely through the caliper as it hits the top of the caliper. The shop recommended flipping the bracket and I am looking for folks who have dealt with this.

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 4, 2010
            This is one of those "just because" answers -- it's how Xtracycle designed it, I'm sure due to some idiosyncrasy of the design.
            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Devin <coultraguy@...> wrote:

            > Sorry to be dense, but why would one use the 160mm adapter for 203 rotors?
            > My first disk brake install.
            > Thanks,
            >vt
            >
            > On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 2:29 PM, speedub_nate <speedub.nate@...> wrote:
            >

            > > If you're running a 203, you need to be using a rear 160mn adapter on the
            > > FreeRadical, oriented in the direction indicated on the adapter.
            > >

            > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com <rootsradicals%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > > Devin <coultraguy@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I am installing the BB-7 rear disk brakes on my X which is a 700
            > > freeradical
            > > > now using 26" wheels and I am curious if folks who have mounted BB-7's
            > > would
            > > > enlighten on which direction the rear 203 IS mounting bracket goes? The
            > > > bracket has 2 legs one short and one long. According to the user
            > > > manual<http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/95-5015-008-000.pdf>pictures
            > >
            > > > it looks like the short leg goes to the front of the bike. When I
            > > > do this, my rotor will not spin freely through the caliper as it hits the
            > > > top of the caliper. The shop recommended flipping the bracket and I am
            > > > looking for folks who have dealt with this.
            > > > --
            > > > In Frith,
            > > > Devin
            > > > My blood is not my own,
            > > > but a gift borrowed from my ancestors,
            > > > to generations yet unborn.
            > > >

            > --
            > In Frith,
            > Devin
            > My blood is not my own,
            > but a gift borrowed from my ancestors,
            > to generations yet unborn.

          • Rick Pickett
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 4, 2010
              Due to the placement of the rotor mounts on the FreeRadical you need 203mm rotors. Also, you want more surface area to dissipate the heat, esp under large loads + lots of braking (think going downhill).

              Cheers,
              Rick

              PS Here's a good video on setting up your BB7s: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkp2WFjuqYg

              "When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race."  – H.G. Wells

              graphical structuralist rick@...
              888.537-1401 x709 | oh the things you'll haul

              --
              In Frith,
              Devin
              My blood is not my own,
              but a gift borrowed from my ancestors,
              to generations yet unborn.

            • rt_schafer
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 4, 2010
                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Devin <coultraguy@...> wrote:

                > Sorry to be dense, but why would one use the 160mm adapter for 203 rotors?
                > My first disk brake install.

                I'm about to do this same install myself (203mm Avid BB7 on 700c FR mounted on a mtb frame using 26" wheels.) The adapter requirement appears to be due to XtraCycle's design decision to place the brake mount 21.5mm from the standard location:

                http://www.xtracycle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=228

                http://www.xtracycle.com/longtailtech/index.php/Disc_Brake_Mount

                Disclaimer: I am a complete XtraCycle neophyte. Is this the required adapter?

                http://www.treefortbikes.com/208_333222337919__Frame-Adapter-160mm.html
              • speedub_nate
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 4, 2010
                  That's the correct adapter for a 203mm rotor. If you'd like to run a more sensible 185mm rotor, you would use a >front< 160mm adapter

                  The 203mm rotor really strikes me as overkill. Even the 185 is touchy on an unloaded bike. I can't imagine a situation where I'd desire a 203 rear short of lots of steep, long, fast loaded descents.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 4, 2010
                    I hope it is the other one that came with the brake set. I am stopping by my lbs to verify

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 4, 2010
                      It was not, so now I have to go back to the LBS to pick one up. Arrgh.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 4, 2010
                        Rick, you guys given any thought to switching over to post mount in the rear? That would eliminate the need to mix and match rotors and adapters.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 5, 2010
                          Not to my knowledge. I wasn't around when the IS standard was used, but will pass the suggestion along.

                          "The city needs a car like a fish needs a bicycle."  – Dean Kamen

                          graphic mechanic rick@...
                          888.537-1401 x709 | long live long bikes

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 8, 2010
                            I'm curious to hear any follow-up. Last year was supposed to be "the year" that rear Post Mount tabs became fairly standard from many of the frame manufacturers. I haven't been paying close attention, but I don't think it happened. Nevertheless, it seems like a sound idea (except now there would be two more threaded holes in the frame to cross thread or strip out). It would seem like a tidy solution for the FreeRadical.