Re: Which kiddie seats fit over the 8" wide EcoDeck?

  • andycotgreave
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 3, 2010

      > How high off the deck does it sit? It has no problem straddling the width of the deck? I'm all for keeping weight low, and don't like the redundancy of having to add yet more brackets and stuff on which to mount to the seat.

      It's about 4 inches off the deck and there are no problems straddling the width. It couldn't be any narrower, and if you remove the seat, the legs do scuff against the side of the racks. But it's no big deal - it fits, and it doesn't restrict the amount of luggage one could carry.

      Andy
    • MH
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 3, 2010
        ....how many people can be stuffed into one Smart Car....

        World Guiness Record of most people stuffed into a Smart Car
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg94FtrHzgw

        -Mark Hoagy

        Jenni Ertl wrote:
        > As I was leaving Costco on Saturday (riding my Xtracycle, of course!), a
        > Smart Car was on the way in. My first thought was. "bet she can't fit much
        > in that!" Which is what I'm sure people think when they see me ride up on my
        > bike! So I got thinking.which can hold more? Xtracycle (with WideLoaders
        > and/or Long Loaders) or Smart Car?

        > This is what I found on the Smart Car Website:
        >
        > Luggage compartment capacity 7.8 (up to beltline)/12 (to roof) cu. ft.
        >
        > Found on a Smart Car board that the dimensions are 39" wide x 27" tall x 21"
        > deep (to roof)
        >

        > Any thoughts on which can haul more cargo?

        > I don't have measurements for any of my big loads. L But looking at the
        > pictures I had taken and guesstimating what else could fit.I think the
        > Xtracycle could easily come close or match what can fit in the cargo space
        > in the Smart Car!
        >

        > Anyone have a Smart Car or a friend with one that you could have a cargo
        > contest with?
        >

        > -Jenni in SC
        >
        > Xtracycle
        >
        > Wideloaders
        >
        > eZee Hub
      • Jenni Ertl
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 3, 2010

          Amazing! They make it look so easy!

          Jenni Ertl wrote:

          > As I was leaving Costco on Saturday (riding my Xtracycle, of course!), a
          > Smart Car was on the way in. My first thought was. "bet she can't fit
          much
          > in that!" Which is what I'm sure people think when they see me ride
          up on my
          > bike! So I got thinking.which can hold more? Xtracycle (with WideLoaders
          > and/or Long Loaders) or Smart Car?

          > This is what I found on the Smart Car Website:
          >
          > Luggage compartment capacity 7.8 (up to beltline)/12 (to roof) cu. ft.
          >
          > Found on a Smart Car board that the dimensions are 39" wide x
          27" tall x 21"
          > deep (to roof)
          >

          > Any thoughts on which can haul more cargo?

          > I don't have measurements for any of my big loads. L But looking at the
          > pictures I had taken and guesstimating what else could fit.I think the
          > Xtracycle could easily come close or match what can fit in the cargo space
          > in the Smart Car!
          >

          > Anyone have a Smart Car or a friend with one that you could have a cargo
          > contest with?
          >

          > -Jenni in SC
          >
          > Xtracycle
          >
          > Wideloaders
          >
          > eZee Hub

        • speedub_nate
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 3, 2010
            I visited Ocean Cycles yesterday and the Junior was the first thing they recommended to me. I didn't see it set up in person, but was told it's a quick 'n clean install.

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Dave Lloyd <dave@...> wrote:

            > Has anyone tried using the Bobike Junior with an Xtracycle? I'm one of the
            > double kid seat people, but I might not mind a pre-manfuactured solution if
            > I get my wife her own X.

          • Dave Lloyd
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 3, 2010
              I had looked at the instructions, but it's not entirely clear from the pictograms how it could be adapted for Xtracycle usage.  I was hoping to find someone who had actually performed the surgery and gave it a yay or nay.

              --dlloyd

              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 3, 2010
                Easy for the girls but the guys are homophobic so they loss easily. -Mark
                Hoagy

                Jenni Ertl wrote:
                > Amazing! They make it look so easy!

              • speedub_nate
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 3, 2010
                  Screw it -- literally.

                  A little frustrated and tired of looking at the lack of selection at local shops, I've taken a slight detour.

                  I found a $45 car seat that I believe I can mount to a plywood base, then strap to my Xtra deck.

                  Bonus #1 - it's cheap, but better built than everything I've looked at so far.

                  Bonus #2 - it matches my bike.

                  Bonus #3 - the brand is Cosco, owned by Dorel, who also owns Cannondale, so it'll probably crack randomly in its first year of use. :@
                • Rick Pickett
                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 3, 2010
                    Many early Xtracycle moms and dads used car seats + HD cam straps to secure their little ones to their longtail. You're in good, if old, hands. ;)

                    "Truly, the bicycle is the most influential piece of product design ever."  – Hugh Pearman

                    pixel pusher rick@...
                    888.537-1401 x709 | xtracycle.com

                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 3, 2010
                      Well, poop, I should have know it was too obvious an idea to be an original thought.

                      It's amazing how gigantic some of these "convertible" kid seats are, and how unsuitable many of them are for this application due to unusual base construction that can't be easily attached to a flat piece of wood.

                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Rick Pickett <rick@...> wrote:

                      > Many early Xtracycle moms and dads used car seats + HD cam straps to secure their little ones to their longtail. You're in good, if old, hands. ;)

                    • Pete B
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 3, 2010
                        OK the challenge is on!
                        Can anyone supply 28 Cheerleaders to OZ (we don't have many here)?
                        I think I could talk Joel into a duel to fit 14 each on our respective Big Dummys ;-)

                        Pete.B
                        'Newspapers are unable, seemingly, to discriminate between a bicycle accident and the collapse of civilization' : George Bernard Shaw

                        Jenni Ertl wrote:
                        > As I was leaving Costco on Saturday (riding my Xtracycle, of course!), a
                        > Smart Car was on the way in. My first thought was. "bet she can't fit much
                        > in that!" Which is what I'm sure people think when they see me ride up on my
                        > bike! So I got thinking.which can hold more? Xtracycle (with WideLoaders
                        > and/or Long Loaders) or Smart Car?

                        > This is what I found on the Smart Car Website:
                        >
                        > Luggage compartment capacity 7.8 (up to beltline)/12 (to roof) cu. ft.
                        >
                        > Found on a Smart Car board that the dimensions are 39" wide x 27" tall x 21"
                        > deep (to roof)
                        >

                        > Any thoughts on which can haul more cargo?

                        > I don't have measurements for any of my big loads. L But looking at the
                        > pictures I had taken and guesstimating what else could fit.I think the
                        > Xtracycle could easily come close or match what can fit in the cargo space
                        > in the Smart Car!
                        >

                        > Anyone have a Smart Car or a friend with one that you could have a cargo
                        > contest with?
                        >

                        > -Jenni in SC
                        >
                        > Xtracycle
                        >
                        > Wideloaders