700c FreeRad on mtn bike: front v-brake/rear disc

  • rt_schafer
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2010
      Hi everyone,

      I recently acquired a used Free Radical and am in the process of grafting it onto my late-80s Giant Iguana. Everything was going fine until I attempted to install the rear v-brakes (Avid Single-Digit 5s) only to discover that it's actually a 700c FR. I understand that my options are either a) install a Paul Moto BMX brake or b) go with disc brakes.

      Two questions:

      1) is there any problem with running a front v-brake/rear disc setup? This would allow me to keep my front fork/brake setup and I could use the same levers (Avid Speed Dial 7s) for both brakes.

      2) If #1 is feasible then I need to build/acquire a new rear wheel. I almost always go with 36-spoke (double-butted)/3-cross lacings but should I consider a higher-strength setup, say a 40/48-hole hub? Or is this overkill even for an XtraCycle?

      700c rear brake options:
      http://www.xtracycle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=214#p559

      Paul Moto BMX brakes
      http://www.paulcomp.com/motobmx.html

      Thanks,

      Rob Schafer
      New Orleans, LA
    • speedub_nate
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2010
        You've got to play the hand you're dealt.  I'd rather have a disc up front, but in reality, you're switching from two V's, so no matter which end the disc ends up on, your braking is no worse.

        I took my wheel building cues from my time with a tandem. Lots is dependent on how heavy a load you'll be carrying. I went with 36H rims and DH/tandem rated Sapim Strong spokes with beefed-up elbows, but DT's triple butted Alpine III's would be a great candidate.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2010
          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "rt_schafer" <rob@...> wrote:
          > I understand that my options are either a) install a Paul Moto BMX brake or b) go with disc brakes.
          >
          > 700c rear brake options:
          > http://www.xtracycle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=214#p559

          Scratch option A, I misread the post. That advice applies to using a 700c wheel in a 26" FR, not the other way around (26" wheel in a 700c FR.)