Re: Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tires?

  • Rich
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
      Joel;

      The Marathon Plus Tour is available in 50-559 and is available from Wallingford Bicycle Parts.

      http://www.wallbike.com/tires.html

      Rich Wood

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, joel <joel@...> wrote:

      > Hi Rich;
      >
      > They Big apple rolls a lot better then the marathon+, the marathon+ also
      > suffers badly from sidewall wear and cracking if you're not careful
      > about keeping the pressure high.
      >
      > That said if I could buy one in 50-559 I would run them. have a look at
      > what a co-worker of mine did it his
      >
      > <http://moz.net.nz/?p=74>
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Joel
      >
      > On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 19:19 +0000, Rich wrote:
      > >
      > > Anyone using these on an Xtracycle or Big Dummmy? I am thinking of
      > > getting a pair as I live in goathead country and having a rear flat on
      > > the BD out on the road looks like it would be a PITA compared to
      > > repairing a flat on a more normal bike with better rear wheel access.
      > > They are reputedly about the most puncture resistant bike tires
      > > available.
      > >
      > > Any comparisons of rolling resistance versus Big Apples? I know they
      > > are considerably heavier.
      > >
      > > Rich Wood

    • Bill Swingle
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
        My first X build had Marathon Plus 26 x 1.5's. I loved them and never
        saw a flat in the year that I rode them. They had come with the original
        donor bike and had a bit of wear so I bought new Marathon XR's (26 x
        2.25) when I built up my current X rig. I liked the Pluses a lot but
        would sometimes wish for a little more traction when I'd find myself on
        a dirt trail or cornering a little hard. The XR's seem to have about the
        same rolling resistance as the Plus's, perhaps a tiny bit less, but they
        are darn near all the off-road tire I need as well.

        YMMV! :)

        -Bill

        --
        -=| Bill Swingle - unfurl@...
      • joel
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
          Hi Rich;

          The Australian wholesaler doesn't bring them in to the country and I
          can't justify the fuel used to fly in a consumable bike part.

          Cheers

          Joel

          On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 22:21 +0000, Rich wrote:

          > Joel;
          >
          > The Marathon Plus Tour is available in 50-559 and is available from
          > Wallingford Bicycle Parts.
          >
          > http://www.wallbike.com/tires.html
          >
          > Rich Wood
          >

          > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, joel <joel@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Rich;
          > >
          > > They Big apple rolls a lot better then the marathon+, the marathon+
          > also
          > > suffers badly from sidewall wear and cracking if you're not careful
          > > about keeping the pressure high.
          > >
          > > That said if I could buy one in 50-559 I would run them. have a look
          > at
          > > what a co-worker of mine did it his
          > >
          > > <http://moz.net.nz/?p=74>
          > >
          > > Cheers
          > >
          > > Joel
          > >
          > > On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 19:19 +0000, Rich wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Anyone using these on an Xtracycle or Big Dummmy? I am thinking of
          > > > getting a pair as I live in goathead country and having a rear
          > flat on
          > > > the BD out on the road looks like it would be a PITA compared to
          > > > repairing a flat on a more normal bike with better rear wheel
          > access.
          > > > They are reputedly about the most puncture resistant bike tires
          > > > available.
          > > >
          > > > Any comparisons of rolling resistance versus Big Apples? I know
          > they
          > > > are considerably heavier.
          > > >
          > > > Rich Wood

        • Rich
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3, 2010
            Joel;

            Comprende. I did not note the Oz location. I bet shipping costs from the USA would be ridiculous too. No chance of having the distributor include a pair as a special order in his next shipment from Schwalbe? Seeing as how most Schwalbe tires are now made in Asia shipment to you would be closer than to me I suspect.

            Rich Wood

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, joel <joel@...> wrote:

            > Hi Rich;
            >
            > The Australian wholesaler doesn't bring them in to the country and I
            > can't justify the fuel used to fly in a consumable bike part.
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Joel
            >
            > On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 22:21 +0000, Rich wrote:
            > >
            > > Joel;
            > >
            > > The Marathon Plus Tour is available in 50-559 and is available from
            > > Wallingford Bicycle Parts.
            > >
            > > http://www.wallbike.com/tires.html
            > >
            > > Rich Wood
            > >

            > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, joel <joel@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi Rich;
            > > >
            > > > They Big apple rolls a lot better then the marathon+, the marathon+
            > > also
            > > > suffers badly from sidewall wear and cracking if you're not careful
            > > > about keeping the pressure high.
            > > >
            > > > That said if I could buy one in 50-559 I would run them. have a look
            > > at
            > > > what a co-worker of mine did it his
            > > >
            > > > <http://moz.net.nz/?p=74>
            > > >
            > > > Cheers
            > > >
            > > > Joel

            > > flat on
            > > access.

            > > they

          • joel
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 3, 2010
              Hi Rich;

              I've been trying, I'm a co-owner of a bike store which sells a lot of
              Schwalbe tyres so hopefuly they'll come through.

              Mind you the I've punctured as many big apples as I have marathon+s

              Cheers

              Joel