Re: [rootsradicals] Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tires?

  • Anthony Checkas
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
      I have them on my Xtracycle and the weight is noticeable when you first put them on. In the past year I've had them on 2 1/2 bikes, ride frequently through areas fraught with goatheads/glass/etc and have yet to have a flat. Prior to that I used to average about a flat per week depending on conditions and routes taken with tires like Kendas Kwest, Specialized Fat Boy and Conti Ultra Gatorskins.

      I don't have any Big Apples to compare with but I can say that my 20mi commute doesn't change by more than a couple minutes using them versus anything else I've used over the same route.

      Anthony

      On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Rich <astronut1001@...> wrote:
      Anyone using these on an Xtracycle or Big Dummmy?  I am thinking of getting a pair as I live in goathead country and having a rear flat on the BD out on the road looks like it would be a PITA compared to repairing a flat on a more normal bike with better rear wheel access.  They are reputedly about the most puncture resistant bike tires available.

      Any comparisons of rolling resistance versus Big Apples?  I know they are considerably heavier.

      Rich Wood

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • joel
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
        Hi Rich;

        They Big apple rolls a lot better then the marathon+, the marathon+ also
        suffers badly from sidewall wear and cracking if you're not careful
        about keeping the pressure high.

        That said if I could buy one in 50-559 I would run them. have a look at
        what a co-worker of mine did it his

        <http://moz.net.nz/?p=74>

        Cheers

        Joel

        On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 19:19 +0000, Rich wrote:

        > Anyone using these on an Xtracycle or Big Dummmy? I am thinking of
        > getting a pair as I live in goathead country and having a rear flat on
        > the BD out on the road looks like it would be a PITA compared to
        > repairing a flat on a more normal bike with better rear wheel access.
        > They are reputedly about the most puncture resistant bike tires
        > available.
        >
        > Any comparisons of rolling resistance versus Big Apples? I know they
        > are considerably heavier.
        >
        > Rich Wood

      • Rich
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
          Joel;

          The Marathon Plus Tour is available in 50-559 and is available from Wallingford Bicycle Parts.

          http://www.wallbike.com/tires.html

          Rich Wood

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, joel <joel@...> wrote:

          > Hi Rich;
          >
          > They Big apple rolls a lot better then the marathon+, the marathon+ also
          > suffers badly from sidewall wear and cracking if you're not careful
          > about keeping the pressure high.
          >
          > That said if I could buy one in 50-559 I would run them. have a look at
          > what a co-worker of mine did it his
          >
          > <http://moz.net.nz/?p=74>
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Joel
          >
          > On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 19:19 +0000, Rich wrote:
          > >
          > > Anyone using these on an Xtracycle or Big Dummmy? I am thinking of
          > > getting a pair as I live in goathead country and having a rear flat on
          > > the BD out on the road looks like it would be a PITA compared to
          > > repairing a flat on a more normal bike with better rear wheel access.
          > > They are reputedly about the most puncture resistant bike tires
          > > available.
          > >
          > > Any comparisons of rolling resistance versus Big Apples? I know they
          > > are considerably heavier.
          > >
          > > Rich Wood

        • Bill Swingle
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
            My first X build had Marathon Plus 26 x 1.5's. I loved them and never
            saw a flat in the year that I rode them. They had come with the original
            donor bike and had a bit of wear so I bought new Marathon XR's (26 x
            2.25) when I built up my current X rig. I liked the Pluses a lot but
            would sometimes wish for a little more traction when I'd find myself on
            a dirt trail or cornering a little hard. The XR's seem to have about the
            same rolling resistance as the Plus's, perhaps a tiny bit less, but they
            are darn near all the off-road tire I need as well.

            YMMV! :)

            -Bill

            --
            -=| Bill Swingle - unfurl@...
          • joel
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
              Hi Rich;

              The Australian wholesaler doesn't bring them in to the country and I
              can't justify the fuel used to fly in a consumable bike part.

              Cheers

              Joel

              On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 22:21 +0000, Rich wrote:

              > Joel;
              >
              > The Marathon Plus Tour is available in 50-559 and is available from
              > Wallingford Bicycle Parts.
              >
              > http://www.wallbike.com/tires.html
              >
              > Rich Wood
              >

              > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, joel <joel@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Rich;
              > >
              > > They Big apple rolls a lot better then the marathon+, the marathon+
              > also
              > > suffers badly from sidewall wear and cracking if you're not careful
              > > about keeping the pressure high.
              > >
              > > That said if I could buy one in 50-559 I would run them. have a look
              > at
              > > what a co-worker of mine did it his
              > >
              > > <http://moz.net.nz/?p=74>
              > >
              > > Cheers
              > >
              > > Joel
              > >
              > > On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 19:19 +0000, Rich wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Anyone using these on an Xtracycle or Big Dummmy? I am thinking of
              > > > getting a pair as I live in goathead country and having a rear
              > flat on
              > > > the BD out on the road looks like it would be a PITA compared to
              > > > repairing a flat on a more normal bike with better rear wheel
              > access.
              > > > They are reputedly about the most puncture resistant bike tires
              > > > available.
              > > >
              > > > Any comparisons of rolling resistance versus Big Apples? I know
              > they
              > > > are considerably heavier.
              > > >
              > > > Rich Wood

            • Rich
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3, 2010
                Joel;

                Comprende. I did not note the Oz location. I bet shipping costs from the USA would be ridiculous too. No chance of having the distributor include a pair as a special order in his next shipment from Schwalbe? Seeing as how most Schwalbe tires are now made in Asia shipment to you would be closer than to me I suspect.

                Rich Wood

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, joel <joel@...> wrote:

                > Hi Rich;
                >
                > The Australian wholesaler doesn't bring them in to the country and I
                > can't justify the fuel used to fly in a consumable bike part.
                >
                > Cheers
                >
                > Joel
                >
                > On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 22:21 +0000, Rich wrote:
                > >
                > > Joel;
                > >
                > > The Marathon Plus Tour is available in 50-559 and is available from
                > > Wallingford Bicycle Parts.
                > >
                > > http://www.wallbike.com/tires.html
                > >
                > > Rich Wood
                > >

                > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, joel <joel@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi Rich;
                > > >
                > > > They Big apple rolls a lot better then the marathon+, the marathon+
                > > also
                > > > suffers badly from sidewall wear and cracking if you're not careful
                > > > about keeping the pressure high.
                > > >
                > > > That said if I could buy one in 50-559 I would run them. have a look
                > > at
                > > > what a co-worker of mine did it his
                > > >
                > > > <http://moz.net.nz/?p=74>
                > > >
                > > > Cheers
                > > >
                > > > Joel

                > > flat on
                > > access.

                > > they

              • joel
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 3, 2010
                  Hi Rich;

                  I've been trying, I'm a co-owner of a bike store which sells a lot of
                  Schwalbe tyres so hopefuly they'll come through.

                  Mind you the I've punctured as many big apples as I have marathon+s

                  Cheers

                  Joel