Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tires?

  • John Wilde
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
      I roll with the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires. Unfortunately I have no frame of reference as to rolling restistance, They are only the second set of tires I have used on my bike. The first set was some cheap no name gos se. I don't like flats, So I invested in the Marathon Plus(es) for my Xtracycle.  No regrets.
    • Anthony Checkas
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
        I have them on my Xtracycle and the weight is noticeable when you first put them on. In the past year I've had them on 2 1/2 bikes, ride frequently through areas fraught with goatheads/glass/etc and have yet to have a flat. Prior to that I used to average about a flat per week depending on conditions and routes taken with tires like Kendas Kwest, Specialized Fat Boy and Conti Ultra Gatorskins.

        I don't have any Big Apples to compare with but I can say that my 20mi commute doesn't change by more than a couple minutes using them versus anything else I've used over the same route.

        Anthony

        On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Rich <astronut1001@...> wrote:
        Anyone using these on an Xtracycle or Big Dummmy?  I am thinking of getting a pair as I live in goathead country and having a rear flat on the BD out on the road looks like it would be a PITA compared to repairing a flat on a more normal bike with better rear wheel access.  They are reputedly about the most puncture resistant bike tires available.

        Any comparisons of rolling resistance versus Big Apples?  I know they are considerably heavier.

        Rich Wood

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • joel
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
          Hi Rich;

          They Big apple rolls a lot better then the marathon+, the marathon+ also
          suffers badly from sidewall wear and cracking if you're not careful
          about keeping the pressure high.

          That said if I could buy one in 50-559 I would run them. have a look at
          what a co-worker of mine did it his

          <http://moz.net.nz/?p=74>

          Cheers

          Joel

          On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 19:19 +0000, Rich wrote:

          > Anyone using these on an Xtracycle or Big Dummmy? I am thinking of
          > getting a pair as I live in goathead country and having a rear flat on
          > the BD out on the road looks like it would be a PITA compared to
          > repairing a flat on a more normal bike with better rear wheel access.
          > They are reputedly about the most puncture resistant bike tires
          > available.
          >
          > Any comparisons of rolling resistance versus Big Apples? I know they
          > are considerably heavier.
          >
          > Rich Wood

        • Rich
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
            Joel;

            The Marathon Plus Tour is available in 50-559 and is available from Wallingford Bicycle Parts.

            http://www.wallbike.com/tires.html

            Rich Wood

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, joel <joel@...> wrote:

            > Hi Rich;
            >
            > They Big apple rolls a lot better then the marathon+, the marathon+ also
            > suffers badly from sidewall wear and cracking if you're not careful
            > about keeping the pressure high.
            >
            > That said if I could buy one in 50-559 I would run them. have a look at
            > what a co-worker of mine did it his
            >
            > <http://moz.net.nz/?p=74>
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Joel
            >
            > On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 19:19 +0000, Rich wrote:
            > >
            > > Anyone using these on an Xtracycle or Big Dummmy? I am thinking of
            > > getting a pair as I live in goathead country and having a rear flat on
            > > the BD out on the road looks like it would be a PITA compared to
            > > repairing a flat on a more normal bike with better rear wheel access.
            > > They are reputedly about the most puncture resistant bike tires
            > > available.
            > >
            > > Any comparisons of rolling resistance versus Big Apples? I know they
            > > are considerably heavier.
            > >
            > > Rich Wood

          • Bill Swingle
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
              My first X build had Marathon Plus 26 x 1.5's. I loved them and never
              saw a flat in the year that I rode them. They had come with the original
              donor bike and had a bit of wear so I bought new Marathon XR's (26 x
              2.25) when I built up my current X rig. I liked the Pluses a lot but
              would sometimes wish for a little more traction when I'd find myself on
              a dirt trail or cornering a little hard. The XR's seem to have about the
              same rolling resistance as the Plus's, perhaps a tiny bit less, but they
              are darn near all the off-road tire I need as well.

              YMMV! :)

              -Bill

              --
              -=| Bill Swingle - unfurl@...
            • joel
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
                Hi Rich;

                The Australian wholesaler doesn't bring them in to the country and I
                can't justify the fuel used to fly in a consumable bike part.

                Cheers

                Joel

                On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 22:21 +0000, Rich wrote:

                > Joel;
                >
                > The Marathon Plus Tour is available in 50-559 and is available from
                > Wallingford Bicycle Parts.
                >
                > http://www.wallbike.com/tires.html
                >
                > Rich Wood
                >

                > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, joel <joel@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Rich;
                > >
                > > They Big apple rolls a lot better then the marathon+, the marathon+
                > also
                > > suffers badly from sidewall wear and cracking if you're not careful
                > > about keeping the pressure high.
                > >
                > > That said if I could buy one in 50-559 I would run them. have a look
                > at
                > > what a co-worker of mine did it his
                > >
                > > <http://moz.net.nz/?p=74>
                > >
                > > Cheers
                > >
                > > Joel
                > >
                > > On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 19:19 +0000, Rich wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Anyone using these on an Xtracycle or Big Dummmy? I am thinking of
                > > > getting a pair as I live in goathead country and having a rear
                > flat on
                > > > the BD out on the road looks like it would be a PITA compared to
                > > > repairing a flat on a more normal bike with better rear wheel
                > access.
                > > > They are reputedly about the most puncture resistant bike tires
                > > > available.
                > > >
                > > > Any comparisons of rolling resistance versus Big Apples? I know
                > they
                > > > are considerably heavier.
                > > >
                > > > Rich Wood

              • Rich
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 3, 2010
                  Joel;

                  Comprende. I did not note the Oz location. I bet shipping costs from the USA would be ridiculous too. No chance of having the distributor include a pair as a special order in his next shipment from Schwalbe? Seeing as how most Schwalbe tires are now made in Asia shipment to you would be closer than to me I suspect.

                  Rich Wood

                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, joel <joel@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Rich;
                  >
                  > The Australian wholesaler doesn't bring them in to the country and I
                  > can't justify the fuel used to fly in a consumable bike part.
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  >
                  > Joel
                  >
                  > On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 22:21 +0000, Rich wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Joel;
                  > >
                  > > The Marathon Plus Tour is available in 50-559 and is available from
                  > > Wallingford Bicycle Parts.
                  > >
                  > > http://www.wallbike.com/tires.html
                  > >
                  > > Rich Wood
                  > >

                  > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, joel <joel@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi Rich;
                  > > >
                  > > > They Big apple rolls a lot better then the marathon+, the marathon+
                  > > also
                  > > > suffers badly from sidewall wear and cracking if you're not careful
                  > > > about keeping the pressure high.
                  > > >
                  > > > That said if I could buy one in 50-559 I would run them. have a look
                  > > at
                  > > > what a co-worker of mine did it his
                  > > >
                  > > > <http://moz.net.nz/?p=74>
                  > > >
                  > > > Cheers
                  > > >
                  > > > Joel

                  > > flat on
                  > > access.

                  > > they

                • joel
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 3, 2010
                    Hi Rich;

                    I've been trying, I'm a co-owner of a bike store which sells a lot of
                    Schwalbe tyres so hopefuly they'll come through.

                    Mind you the I've punctured as many big apples as I have marathon+s

                    Cheers

                    Joel