Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tires?

  • Rich
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
      Anyone using these on an Xtracycle or Big Dummmy? I am thinking of getting a pair as I live in goathead country and having a rear flat on the BD out on the road looks like it would be a PITA compared to repairing a flat on a more normal bike with better rear wheel access. They are reputedly about the most puncture resistant bike tires available.

      Any comparisons of rolling resistance versus Big Apples? I know they are considerably heavier.

      Rich Wood
    • John Wilde
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
        I roll with the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires. Unfortunately I have no frame of reference as to rolling restistance, They are only the second set of tires I have used on my bike. The first set was some cheap no name gos se. I don't like flats, So I invested in the Marathon Plus(es) for my Xtracycle.  No regrets.
      • Anthony Checkas
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
          I have them on my Xtracycle and the weight is noticeable when you first put them on. In the past year I've had them on 2 1/2 bikes, ride frequently through areas fraught with goatheads/glass/etc and have yet to have a flat. Prior to that I used to average about a flat per week depending on conditions and routes taken with tires like Kendas Kwest, Specialized Fat Boy and Conti Ultra Gatorskins.

          I don't have any Big Apples to compare with but I can say that my 20mi commute doesn't change by more than a couple minutes using them versus anything else I've used over the same route.

          Anthony

          On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Rich <astronut1001@...> wrote:
          Anyone using these on an Xtracycle or Big Dummmy?  I am thinking of getting a pair as I live in goathead country and having a rear flat on the BD out on the road looks like it would be a PITA compared to repairing a flat on a more normal bike with better rear wheel access.  They are reputedly about the most puncture resistant bike tires available.

          Any comparisons of rolling resistance versus Big Apples?  I know they are considerably heavier.

          Rich Wood

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • joel
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
            Hi Rich;

            They Big apple rolls a lot better then the marathon+, the marathon+ also
            suffers badly from sidewall wear and cracking if you're not careful
            about keeping the pressure high.

            That said if I could buy one in 50-559 I would run them. have a look at
            what a co-worker of mine did it his

            <http://moz.net.nz/?p=74>

            Cheers

            Joel

            On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 19:19 +0000, Rich wrote:

            > Anyone using these on an Xtracycle or Big Dummmy? I am thinking of
            > getting a pair as I live in goathead country and having a rear flat on
            > the BD out on the road looks like it would be a PITA compared to
            > repairing a flat on a more normal bike with better rear wheel access.
            > They are reputedly about the most puncture resistant bike tires
            > available.
            >
            > Any comparisons of rolling resistance versus Big Apples? I know they
            > are considerably heavier.
            >
            > Rich Wood

          • Rich
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
              Joel;

              The Marathon Plus Tour is available in 50-559 and is available from Wallingford Bicycle Parts.

              http://www.wallbike.com/tires.html

              Rich Wood

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, joel <joel@...> wrote:

              > Hi Rich;
              >
              > They Big apple rolls a lot better then the marathon+, the marathon+ also
              > suffers badly from sidewall wear and cracking if you're not careful
              > about keeping the pressure high.
              >
              > That said if I could buy one in 50-559 I would run them. have a look at
              > what a co-worker of mine did it his
              >
              > <http://moz.net.nz/?p=74>
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > Joel
              >
              > On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 19:19 +0000, Rich wrote:
              > >
              > > Anyone using these on an Xtracycle or Big Dummmy? I am thinking of
              > > getting a pair as I live in goathead country and having a rear flat on
              > > the BD out on the road looks like it would be a PITA compared to
              > > repairing a flat on a more normal bike with better rear wheel access.
              > > They are reputedly about the most puncture resistant bike tires
              > > available.
              > >
              > > Any comparisons of rolling resistance versus Big Apples? I know they
              > > are considerably heavier.
              > >
              > > Rich Wood

            • Bill Swingle
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
                My first X build had Marathon Plus 26 x 1.5's. I loved them and never
                saw a flat in the year that I rode them. They had come with the original
                donor bike and had a bit of wear so I bought new Marathon XR's (26 x
                2.25) when I built up my current X rig. I liked the Pluses a lot but
                would sometimes wish for a little more traction when I'd find myself on
                a dirt trail or cornering a little hard. The XR's seem to have about the
                same rolling resistance as the Plus's, perhaps a tiny bit less, but they
                are darn near all the off-road tire I need as well.

                YMMV! :)

                -Bill

                --
                -=| Bill Swingle - unfurl@...
              • joel
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
                  Hi Rich;

                  The Australian wholesaler doesn't bring them in to the country and I
                  can't justify the fuel used to fly in a consumable bike part.

                  Cheers

                  Joel

                  On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 22:21 +0000, Rich wrote:

                  > Joel;
                  >
                  > The Marathon Plus Tour is available in 50-559 and is available from
                  > Wallingford Bicycle Parts.
                  >
                  > http://www.wallbike.com/tires.html
                  >
                  > Rich Wood
                  >

                  > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, joel <joel@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Rich;
                  > >
                  > > They Big apple rolls a lot better then the marathon+, the marathon+
                  > also
                  > > suffers badly from sidewall wear and cracking if you're not careful
                  > > about keeping the pressure high.
                  > >
                  > > That said if I could buy one in 50-559 I would run them. have a look
                  > at
                  > > what a co-worker of mine did it his
                  > >
                  > > <http://moz.net.nz/?p=74>
                  > >
                  > > Cheers
                  > >
                  > > Joel
                  > >
                  > > On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 19:19 +0000, Rich wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Anyone using these on an Xtracycle or Big Dummmy? I am thinking of
                  > > > getting a pair as I live in goathead country and having a rear
                  > flat on
                  > > > the BD out on the road looks like it would be a PITA compared to
                  > > > repairing a flat on a more normal bike with better rear wheel
                  > access.
                  > > > They are reputedly about the most puncture resistant bike tires
                  > > > available.
                  > > >
                  > > > Any comparisons of rolling resistance versus Big Apples? I know
                  > they
                  > > > are considerably heavier.
                  > > >
                  > > > Rich Wood

                • Rich
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 3, 2010
                    Joel;

                    Comprende. I did not note the Oz location. I bet shipping costs from the USA would be ridiculous too. No chance of having the distributor include a pair as a special order in his next shipment from Schwalbe? Seeing as how most Schwalbe tires are now made in Asia shipment to you would be closer than to me I suspect.

                    Rich Wood

                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, joel <joel@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Rich;
                    >
                    > The Australian wholesaler doesn't bring them in to the country and I
                    > can't justify the fuel used to fly in a consumable bike part.
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    >
                    > Joel
                    >
                    > On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 22:21 +0000, Rich wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Joel;
                    > >
                    > > The Marathon Plus Tour is available in 50-559 and is available from
                    > > Wallingford Bicycle Parts.
                    > >
                    > > http://www.wallbike.com/tires.html
                    > >
                    > > Rich Wood
                    > >

                    > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, joel <joel@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Hi Rich;
                    > > >
                    > > > They Big apple rolls a lot better then the marathon+, the marathon+
                    > > also
                    > > > suffers badly from sidewall wear and cracking if you're not careful
                    > > > about keeping the pressure high.
                    > > >
                    > > > That said if I could buy one in 50-559 I would run them. have a look
                    > > at
                    > > > what a co-worker of mine did it his
                    > > >
                    > > > <http://moz.net.nz/?p=74>
                    > > >
                    > > > Cheers
                    > > >
                    > > > Joel

                    > > flat on
                    > > access.

                    > > they

                  • joel
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 3, 2010
                      Hi Rich;

                      I've been trying, I'm a co-owner of a bike store which sells a lot of
                      Schwalbe tyres so hopefuly they'll come through.

                      Mind you the I've punctured as many big apples as I have marathon+s

                      Cheers

                      Joel