Re: Which kiddie seats fit over the 8" wide EcoDeck?

  • Diane
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 1, 2010
      Nate,

      I've got a Topeak Baby Seat that's not currently in use. I could check the spread of that if you need me to.

      Scott
      Washington, DC

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "speedub_nate" <speedub.nate@...> wrote:

      > I measured a CoPilot Limo child's seat and found the inside dimension to be around 6-1/4 inches.
      >
      > The EcoDeck is just shy of 8" wide at the front, and tapers down to about 6.25" at the tail (so I suppose if I wanted to fit it facing rearward at the very tail end of the bike, I could give it a go...) ;)
      >
      > Do any seats play well with this 8" width?

    • speedub_nate
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 1, 2010
        Anybody with experience with Bobike's Maxi? All the pictures I see of it show it hovering over the Xtra's deck, not straddling it. But it appears to have sufficient spread between the foot holders.

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "speedub_nate" <speedub.nate@...> wrote:

        > I measured a CoPilot Limo child's seat and found the inside dimension to be around 6-1/4 inches.
        >
        > The EcoDeck is just shy of 8" wide at the front, and tapers down to about 6.25" at the tail (so I suppose if I wanted to fit it facing rearward at the very tail end of the bike, I could give it a go...) ;)
        >
        > Do any seats play well with this 8" width?

      • Jeff Snavely
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 1, 2010
          I seem to recall the Bobike worked, but not exactly like it would on a nomal bike due to the support arm clearance. There's plenty of pictures of them installed on xtracycles.

          I bought one, but we ended up never using it. It's still around if you're considering buying one.

          Jeff

          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 1, 2010
            Depends. I really want to fit something to the deck, like the PeaPod (which I've been waiting for, but still isn't in stock with Xtracycle). All the pics of the Maxi seem to show it installed like it would be on a normal bike, not really taking advantage of the Xtracycle's additional space.

            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 1, 2010
              Hey, that would be great. I wasn't even aware Topeak offered them.

              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 1, 2010
                Scott, scratch that request. I found a Topeak, and it's only 5 inches across, same as the CoPilot Taxi. The CoPilot Limo is 6 inches, similar to the Bell "Standard" and Cocoon I found at Walmart.

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Diane" <diane.douglas8@...> wrote:

                > I've got a Topeak Baby Seat that's not currently in use. I could check the spread of that if you need me to.

              • andycotgreave
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 2, 2010
                  > > Anybody with experience with Bobike's Maxi?

                  I'm using one - it attaches to the bike frame not the X. This is a good thing, because it doesn't restrict the bags, meaning you can load just as much shopping in there, as well as have the kids!

                  I also have a Peapod LT at the back - that DOES affect how much space you have in the bags (but it allows me to carry two kids, an advantage that more than outweighs the problem of less luggage space!)

                  Andy
                • speedub_nate
                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 2, 2010
                    How high off the deck does it sit? It has no problem straddling the width of the deck? I'm all for keeping weight low, and don't like the redundancy of having to add yet more brackets and stuff on which to mount to the seat.

                    Ocean Cyclery in San Francisco references the Mini on their website, so I'll give them a call later today to see if they have a Maxi on hand.

                    Otherwise, I'm thinking of strapping my boy into kitty litter bucket. It has a lid to keep him dry.

                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "andycotgreave" <andy.cotgreave@...> wrote:

                    > I'm using one - it attaches to the bike frame not the X. This is a good thing, because it doesn't restrict the bags, meaning you can load just as much shopping in there, as well as have the kids!
                  • rkt88edmo
                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 2, 2010
                      I've been collecting pics and making notes on the use of existing
                      seats and custom made seats out there for riding two kids on the xtra.
                      Here is what I've been seeing. Most of the custom seats are using a
                      cut away deck that allows the legs to be as close the the V-rack as
                      possible. Right now I think my approach is going to be to take the
                      stock wood deck and cut it where I want the seat to be (and possibly
                      needing to notch the leg portion of the seat itself) or create a
                      custom deck and using my existing weeride seat and trying to come up
                      with a very inexpensive (used craigslist freecycle) seat for the
                      second seat.
                    • Jenni Ertl
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 2, 2010

                        As I was leaving Costco on Saturday (riding my Xtracycle, of course!), a Smart Car was on the way in. My first thought was… “bet she can’t fit much in that!” Which is what I’m sure people think when they see me ride up on my bike! So I got thinking…which can hold more? Xtracycle (with WideLoaders and/or Long Loaders) or Smart Car?

                        This is what I found on the Smart Car Website:

                        Luggage compartment capacity  7.8 (up to beltline)/12 (to roof) cu. ft.

                        Found on a Smart Car board that the dimensions are 39" wide x 27" tall x 21" deep (to roof)

                        Any thoughts on which can haul more cargo?

                        My initial thoughts –

                        Xtracycle – at least 1 adult & 1 child, or up to 3 children

                        Smart Car – 1 passenger

                        Xtracycle wins

                        Xtracycle – Kayak, surfboard or ladder

                        Smart Car – The manual states “No racks or loads may be secured to the roof of the vehicle”

                        Xtracycle wins (unless the Smart Car tows a trailer)

                        I don’t have measurements for any of my big loads. L But looking at the pictures I had taken and guesstimating what else could fit…I think the Xtracycle could easily come close or match what can fit in the cargo space in the Smart Car!

                        Anyone have a Smart Car or a friend with one that you could have a cargo contest with?

                        -Jenni in SC

                        Xtracycle

                        Wideloaders

                        eZee Hub

                      • Jeff Snavely

                          Message 12 of 26 , Mar 2, 2010

                            According to the manual, you’re not supposed to put anything on the roof or drive with the tailgate down on the Smart Car.

                            Granted, I have seen pictures of people that do those things anyway. J

                            There may be other ways to haul them that I didn’t know about.

                            Not trying to bash the Smart Car here. Just comparing cargo hauling.

                            Message 13 of 26 , Mar 2, 2010
                              Has anyone tried using the Bobike Junior with an Xtracycle? I'm one of the double kid seat people, but I might not mind a pre-manfuactured solution if I get my wife her own X.

                              --dlloyd

                            • joel
                              Message 14 of 26 , Mar 2, 2010
                                Hi Jenni;

                                I bet you can't do this with a ``smart car''

                                http://picasaweb.google.com/joelthebicyclist/BikeMove2009#5429689655775774802

                                Unfortunately no photos were taken from the front but the bike is also
                                carrying a pair of Ortlieb rear panniers and a 50L rectangular bucket on
                                a front Surly nice rack.

                                Cheers

                                Joel

                                On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 15:22 -0500, Jenni Ertl wrote:

                                > As I was leaving Costco on Saturday (riding my Xtracycle, of course!),
                                > a Smart Car was on the way in. My first thought was… “bet she can’t
                                > fit much in that!” Which is what I’m sure people think when they see
                                > me ride up on my bike! So I got thinking…which can hold more?
                                > Xtracycle (with WideLoaders and/or Long Loaders) or Smart Car?
                                >

                                > This is what I found on the Smart Car Website:
                                >
                                > Luggage compartment capacity 7.8 (up to beltline)/12 (to roof) cu.
                                > ft.
                                >
                                > Found on a Smart Car board that the dimensions are 39" wide x 27" tall
                                > x 21" deep (to roof)
                                >

                                > Any thoughts on which can haul more cargo?
                                >

                                > My initial thoughts –
                                >
                                > Xtracycle – at least 1 adult & 1 child, or up to 3 children
                                >
                                > Smart Car – 1 passenger
                                >
                                > Xtracycle wins
                                >

                                > Xtracycle – Kayak, surfboard or ladder
                                >
                                > Smart Car – The manual states “No racks or loads may be secured to the
                                > roof of the vehicle”
                                >
                                > Xtracycle wins (unless the Smart Car tows a trailer)
                                >

                                > I don’t have measurements for any of my big loads. L But looking at
                                > the pictures I had taken and guesstimating what else could fit…I think
                                > the Xtracycle could easily come close or match what can fit in the
                                > cargo space in the Smart Car!
                                >

                                > Anyone have a Smart Car or a friend with one that you could have a
                                > cargo contest with?
                                >

                                > -Jenni in SC
                                >
                                > Xtracycle
                                >
                                > Wideloaders
                                >
                                > eZee Hub

                              • andycotgreave
                                Message 15 of 26 , Mar 3, 2010

                                  > How high off the deck does it sit? It has no problem straddling the width of the deck? I'm all for keeping weight low, and don't like the redundancy of having to add yet more brackets and stuff on which to mount to the seat.

                                  It's about 4 inches off the deck and there are no problems straddling the width. It couldn't be any narrower, and if you remove the seat, the legs do scuff against the side of the racks. But it's no big deal - it fits, and it doesn't restrict the amount of luggage one could carry.

                                  Andy
                                • MH
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Mar 3, 2010
                                    ....how many people can be stuffed into one Smart Car....

                                    World Guiness Record of most people stuffed into a Smart Car
                                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg94FtrHzgw

                                    -Mark Hoagy

                                    Jenni Ertl wrote:
                                    > As I was leaving Costco on Saturday (riding my Xtracycle, of course!), a
                                    > Smart Car was on the way in. My first thought was. "bet she can't fit much
                                    > in that!" Which is what I'm sure people think when they see me ride up on my
                                    > bike! So I got thinking.which can hold more? Xtracycle (with WideLoaders
                                    > and/or Long Loaders) or Smart Car?

                                    > This is what I found on the Smart Car Website:
                                    >
                                    > Luggage compartment capacity 7.8 (up to beltline)/12 (to roof) cu. ft.
                                    >
                                    > Found on a Smart Car board that the dimensions are 39" wide x 27" tall x 21"
                                    > deep (to roof)
                                    >

                                    > Any thoughts on which can haul more cargo?

                                    > I don't have measurements for any of my big loads. L But looking at the
                                    > pictures I had taken and guesstimating what else could fit.I think the
                                    > Xtracycle could easily come close or match what can fit in the cargo space
                                    > in the Smart Car!
                                    >

                                    > Anyone have a Smart Car or a friend with one that you could have a cargo
                                    > contest with?
                                    >

                                    > -Jenni in SC
                                    >
                                    > Xtracycle
                                    >
                                    > Wideloaders
                                    >
                                    > eZee Hub
                                  • Jenni Ertl
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Mar 3, 2010

                                      Amazing! They make it look so easy!

                                      Jenni Ertl wrote:

                                      > As I was leaving Costco on Saturday (riding my Xtracycle, of course!), a
                                      > Smart Car was on the way in. My first thought was. "bet she can't fit
                                      much
                                      > in that!" Which is what I'm sure people think when they see me ride
                                      up on my
                                      > bike! So I got thinking.which can hold more? Xtracycle (with WideLoaders
                                      > and/or Long Loaders) or Smart Car?

                                      > This is what I found on the Smart Car Website:
                                      >
                                      > Luggage compartment capacity 7.8 (up to beltline)/12 (to roof) cu. ft.
                                      >
                                      > Found on a Smart Car board that the dimensions are 39" wide x
                                      27" tall x 21"
                                      > deep (to roof)
                                      >

                                      > Any thoughts on which can haul more cargo?

                                      > I don't have measurements for any of my big loads. L But looking at the
                                      > pictures I had taken and guesstimating what else could fit.I think the
                                      > Xtracycle could easily come close or match what can fit in the cargo space
                                      > in the Smart Car!
                                      >

                                      > Anyone have a Smart Car or a friend with one that you could have a cargo
                                      > contest with?
                                      >

                                      > -Jenni in SC
                                      >
                                      > Xtracycle
                                      >
                                      > Wideloaders
                                      >
                                      > eZee Hub

                                    • speedub_nate
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Mar 3, 2010
                                        I visited Ocean Cycles yesterday and the Junior was the first thing they recommended to me. I didn't see it set up in person, but was told it's a quick 'n clean install.

                                        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Dave Lloyd <dave@...> wrote:

                                        > Has anyone tried using the Bobike Junior with an Xtracycle? I'm one of the
                                        > double kid seat people, but I might not mind a pre-manfuactured solution if
                                        > I get my wife her own X.

                                      • Dave Lloyd
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Mar 3, 2010
                                          I had looked at the instructions, but it's not entirely clear from the pictograms how it could be adapted for Xtracycle usage.  I was hoping to find someone who had actually performed the surgery and gave it a yay or nay.

                                          --dlloyd

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Mar 3, 2010
                                            Easy for the girls but the guys are homophobic so they loss easily. -Mark
                                            Hoagy

                                            Jenni Ertl wrote:
                                            > Amazing! They make it look so easy!

                                          • speedub_nate
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Mar 3, 2010
                                              Screw it -- literally.

                                              A little frustrated and tired of looking at the lack of selection at local shops, I've taken a slight detour.

                                              I found a $45 car seat that I believe I can mount to a plywood base, then strap to my Xtra deck.

                                              Bonus #1 - it's cheap, but better built than everything I've looked at so far.

                                              Bonus #2 - it matches my bike.

                                              Bonus #3 - the brand is Cosco, owned by Dorel, who also owns Cannondale, so it'll probably crack randomly in its first year of use. :@
                                            • Rick Pickett
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Mar 3, 2010
                                                Many early Xtracycle moms and dads used car seats + HD cam straps to secure their little ones to their longtail. You're in good, if old, hands. ;)

                                                "Truly, the bicycle is the most influential piece of product design ever."  – Hugh Pearman

                                                pixel pusher rick@...
                                                888.537-1401 x709 | xtracycle.com

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Mar 3, 2010
                                                  Well, poop, I should have know it was too obvious an idea to be an original thought.

                                                  It's amazing how gigantic some of these "convertible" kid seats are, and how unsuitable many of them are for this application due to unusual base construction that can't be easily attached to a flat piece of wood.

                                                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Rick Pickett <rick@...> wrote:

                                                  > Many early Xtracycle moms and dads used car seats + HD cam straps to secure their little ones to their longtail. You're in good, if old, hands. ;)

                                                • Pete B
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Mar 3, 2010
                                                    OK the challenge is on!
                                                    Can anyone supply 28 Cheerleaders to OZ (we don't have many here)?
                                                    I think I could talk Joel into a duel to fit 14 each on our respective Big Dummys ;-)

                                                    Pete.B
                                                    'Newspapers are unable, seemingly, to discriminate between a bicycle accident and the collapse of civilization' : George Bernard Shaw

                                                    Jenni Ertl wrote:
                                                    > As I was leaving Costco on Saturday (riding my Xtracycle, of course!), a
                                                    > Smart Car was on the way in. My first thought was. "bet she can't fit much
                                                    > in that!" Which is what I'm sure people think when they see me ride up on my
                                                    > bike! So I got thinking.which can hold more? Xtracycle (with WideLoaders
                                                    > and/or Long Loaders) or Smart Car?

                                                    > This is what I found on the Smart Car Website:
                                                    >
                                                    > Luggage compartment capacity 7.8 (up to beltline)/12 (to roof) cu. ft.
                                                    >
                                                    > Found on a Smart Car board that the dimensions are 39" wide x 27" tall x 21"
                                                    > deep (to roof)
                                                    >

                                                    > Any thoughts on which can haul more cargo?

                                                    > I don't have measurements for any of my big loads. L But looking at the
                                                    > pictures I had taken and guesstimating what else could fit.I think the
                                                    > Xtracycle could easily come close or match what can fit in the cargo space
                                                    > in the Smart Car!
                                                    >

                                                    > Anyone have a Smart Car or a friend with one that you could have a cargo
                                                    > contest with?
                                                    >

                                                    > -Jenni in SC
                                                    >
                                                    > Xtracycle
                                                    >
                                                    > Wideloaders