Re: Need tire recommendation

  • michaelkoeppel
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 26, 2010
      My bikes came with the 2" Big Apples.

    • ama3655@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 26, 2010
        After many years of research and saddle sores, my tire (or tyre) recommendations are:
        As fat as you can make fit.
        As light and supple as you can find.
        As cheap as you can find, without sacrificing the above.
        Run at as low a pressure as you can get away with.

        Everybody will develop their own theories, but that's what works for me.

        FatRob

        In a message dated 2/26/2010 5:25:16 A.M. Central Standard Time, pten2106@... writes:
        I'm reading this with some interest. I've yet to build my xtracycle. It's intended use is ferrying my two boys to nusery & school when the weather finally picks up.
        I'd planned on using some Specialized 1.5 slicks, but a bit worried now that these might give too much of a choppy ride if pumped up hard enough.
        Also wondered if any of you have tried running tubeless...?

        Thanks.

        Paul.

      • Bill Swingle
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 26, 2010
          I really really like my Schwalbe Marathon XR HS 359's. I'm using the
          2.25" wide version. They roll amazingly but have enough tread to really
          dig into the dirt and enough shoulder tread to hang on in the corners.

          -Bill

          --
          -=| Bill Swingle - unfurl@...
        • Andrew
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
            Mike,

            I've measured the 2" and 2.15" BAs on the same rims (width will vary some with rim used) and the 2" is 46mm (Schwalbe say 50mm) so really it's a 1.8" tyre. The 2.15" is 54mm (Schwalbe say 55mm). The height of each tyre is within a mm of the width so the the 2.15" is 8mm higher as well as 8mm wider than the 2". (I seem to remember that the 2.35" I had in the past was actually 57mm so it seems that the new 2.15" stated size is closer to actual size.)

            Doing a web search on how to calculate the volume of a donut I calculate that the 2.15" has a volume 40% greater than the 2" which in turn means it could be run at lower pressure.

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "michaelkoeppel" <slideshowmike@...> wrote:

            > Andrew,
            >
            > So are you saying that you put a 2.15" Big Apple on your rear? I've been thinking about swapping out my 2's for the 2.15's but have wondered if it would make that much of a difference. If I'm reading your post correctly, it sounds as though the difference is significant. The other tire I'm considering is the 2.25" Marathon XRs in case anyone else wanted to comment on those tires.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Mike

          • Rich
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
              Tire width will vary slightly with the rim width it is mounted on. Per my digital caliper the 50mm BA is about 47.3mm when mounted on the stock BD Salsa rim.

              Removing the Big Dummys rear tire while on a trip looks like enough of a PITA that I have been considering fitting a Marathon Plus as it is about the most puncture resistant tire I know of and I live in goathead country :-(

              Anyone have experience with the Marathon Plus tires on a BD or Xtracycle?

              Rich Wood