Commuting

  • coach4many
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 25, 2010
      Ok here is a tip for commuters, If you are going to do multiple errands after work put all the important stuff in one bag.
      I split my gear up into two bags just to balance everything out which left me carrying two bags wherever I had to stop. As I could care less about someone stealing my Pink tote bag and Scooby Doo lunch box the idea of leaving my laptop in my free rad bags was unacceptable.
      I will so remember this next time, what a drag. Bad enough having to lock my bag up but then to have to unload just to run in someplace sucked.
      Spring is coming soon, which means less to carry to work. Woo Hoo
    • Steve Lange
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 25, 2010
        On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 7:58 PM, coach4many <coach4many@...> wrote:

        > I will so remember this next time, what a drag. Bad enough having to lock my bag up but then to have to unload just to run in someplace sucked.

        A messenger bag works really well for laptop / work papers / books /
        change of clothes / etc. Slips right into a Freeloader, easy to pull
        out and sling over the shoulder to run errands / get coffee / etc.

        Steve Lange
        Santa Barbara, CA
      • Ryan Alward
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 26, 2010
          I find using the ortlieb panniers work well. I have the waterproof bright yellow ones. I just slip them in the free rad if I need to keep things dry. They also have a shoulder strap that can be attached for taking into stores. They hold a TON of food. Also, if you have a second short-bike with a rack you can carry things on that bike too.

          Take it easy,

          - Ryan
        • sh8knj8kster
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 26, 2010
            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Ryan Alward <ryan.alward@...> wrote:

            > I find using the ortlieb panniers work well. I have the waterproof bright yellow ones. I just slip them in the free rad if I need to keep things dry. They also have a shoulder strap that can be attached for taking into stores. They hold a TON of food. Also, if you have a second short-bike with a rack you can carry things on that bike too.
            >
            > Take it easy,
            >
            > - Ryan

            ~~~Since I come from a motorcycling background some of my dry duffels are more motorcycle specific like the large Ortlieb bag I'll take with me on grocery store runs but the BOB (bicycle trailer intended) bag at 90 litres capacity is a great bag for groery hauling trips. BOB in one side, Ortlieb in the other

            Jake
            Reddick Fla.
            The Low-Self-Esteem Support Group will meet in the chapel Thursday at 7 PM...
            Please use the back door.

            http://www.shakinjake.blogspot.com/
          • Elaine Nelson
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 26, 2010
              I have a bag that I absolutely love...I have no idea who it's by, but
              it's just the right size for the freerads, and it's fairly
              water-resistant, so it holds up under the occasional sprinkles. When
              I'm commuting, it fits my clothes, lunch, a book or two or laptop,
              etc. I put my purse-like bag on the other side and then yes, if I have
              to stop somewhere I'm good to go with a big bag that fits in a
              shopping cart & the small bag over my shoulder. :)

              The yellow bag: http://www.flickr.com/photos/epersonae/4050295436/
              Purse-like bag: http://www.rei.com/product/763408 (I think they've
              changed it a bit since I bought mine.)

              Elaine Nelson