Re: [rootsradicals] Aluminum and Xs

  • Sean Moore
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 19, 2010
      Seconded, TONE's story of how his aluminum bike finally failed is what convinced me I could use an aluminum frame with an X.  He used his bike harder than I ever will and it worked fine for years.

      --
      Sean Moore
      moore.sean@...

      On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Bill Swingle <unfurl@...> wrote:

      My first xtracycle was attached to a steel, early 90's stumpjumper. Any
      load in the bags would induce some wiggling. It felt rather like riding
      a fish with big loads. I got used to it but it was definitly something I
      had to be careful of.

      After riding the steel fish for nearly a year I converted my Cannondale
      BadBoy to be my new daily X ride and the experience is widlly different.
      The stiffness of the frame makes a huge difference. I've been regularly
      hauling ~200lbs + kids and I have none of the wiggle problems as before.

      I had some concerns about using an aluminium frame but a long post from
      TONE a few months ago convinced me otherwise. IIRC he had an aluminum
      frame that wore thru several *freeradicals* before finally being
      retired. :)

      -Bill

      --
      -=| Bill Swingle - unfurl@...