Peapod LT and little kids

  • andycotgreave
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 10, 2010
      Hi
      Today was the first time my ten month old went on the Peapod LT.
      As you can see from the photo (http://bit.ly/9WL7Gr), she seems a bit small for it. Also, because her head's not high up, the back of the seat pushes her helmet forwards.

      Any ideas on how to make the helmet less tilted? We tried stuffing some clothes behind her back, but without much success.

      Thanks

      Andy
    • Paul Tennant
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 10, 2010
        Hi Andy.
        What helmet does the little lady use ?
        I had a similar issue when trailering my boys when about the same age.
        Can recommend the Giro Spree...

        http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=44766

        Its more of a Giro Xen (MTB) shape to it & has a less overhang at the rear.

        ATB

        Paul.

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 10, 2010
          Yeah, that's why we suggest 12-months and older, the little ones just sit there like sacks of potatoes with their helmets tweaking them out.

          Maybe try some padding under the front of the seat cushion and a small, very small, pillow behind her lower back to offset the rearward protrusion of her helmet.

          Or wait two months. Understand the temptation though, it's fun carting kids by bike. :)

          "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling."  – James E. Starrs

          artistic shenaniganizer | rick@...
          888.537-1401 x709 | every day adventure

          On Feb 10, 2010, at 1:31 AM, andycotgreave wrote:

          Hi
          Today was the first time my ten month old went on the Peapod LT.
          As you can see from the photo (http://bit.ly/ 9WL7Gr), she seems a bit small for it. Also, because her head's not high up, the back of the seat pushes her helmet forwards.

          Any ideas on how to make the helmet less tilted? We tried stuffing some clothes behind her back, but without much success.

          Thanks

          Andy

        • Jeff Snavely

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 10, 2010
              Message
              > Helmets are always a problem for little ones in high back chairs/trailers.
              Possibly such seats are designed for use without helmets? Is there anything to suggest the kids benefit from wearing a helmet when they are in such a seat? Especially as it increases the weight on their head...

            • Rick Pickett
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 10, 2010
                Most states have laws that, um, state what age children must wear helmets.

                Also, some children cannot support the weight of their head, let alone a helmeted head.  That's why the "arbitrary" rule is there. Will it be excessive if your own toddler is doing 10kg neck lifts at 9-months, no, you have a superbaby, congrats. But in the world of litigation, lines must be established.

                "The city needs a car like a fish needs a bicycle."  – Dean Kamen

                graphic mechanic rick@...
                888.537-1401 x709 | long live long bikes

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 10, 2010
                  None of which make it any less arbitrary.Hell, it's not even a rule or law. It's simply the common answer floating around the internet.

                  So you have to have a helmet to protect the kid, yet the kid can't wear a helmet until they're a year old. I wonder how much GM and Britax contributed to the helmet law lobbists for that one.

                  On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Rick Pickett <rick@...> wrote:

                  Most states have laws that, um, state what age children must wear helmets.

                  Also, some children cannot support the weight of their head, let alone a helmeted head.  That's why the "arbitrary" rule is there. Will it be excessive if your own toddler is doing 10kg neck lifts at 9-months, no, you have a superbaby, congrats. But in the world of litigation, lines must be established.

                  "The city needs a car like a fish needs a bicycle."  – Dean Kamen

                  graphic mechanic rick@...
                  888.537-1401 x709 | long live long bikes

                  On Feb 10, 2010, at 9:04 AM, Travers, Neil wrote:

                  > Helmets are always a problem for little ones in high back chairs/trailers.
                  Possibly such seats are designed for use without helmets? Is there anything to suggest the kids benefit from wearing a helmet when they are in such a seat? Especially as it increases the weight on their head...

                • coach4many
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 11, 2010
                    Andy,
                    When my son was little and I used a bike seat I had the same problem, and it was worse when he fell asleep and his head fell forward. Some things that might help are a pillow (small kids size) on the bottom of the seat. And Velcro. I put a little bit of velcro on the helmet and the seat and when he would start to fall asleep I could velcro his helmet to the back of the seat. Sounds nuts but it worked, also the lightest weight helmet you can find would help out.
                    Beth

                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "andycotgreave" <andy.cotgreave@...> wrote:

                    > Hi
                    > Today was the first time my ten month old went on the Peapod LT.
                    > As you can see from the photo (http://bit.ly/9WL7Gr), she seems a bit small for it. Also, because her head's not high up, the back of the seat pushes her helmet forwards.
                    >
                    > Any ideas on how to make the helmet less tilted? We tried stuffing some clothes behind her back, but without much success.
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    >
                    > Andy

                  • mokmcmanus
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 12, 2010
                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "coach4many" <coach4many@...> wrote:
                      Some things that might help are a pillow (small kids size) on the bottom of the seat. And Velcro. I put a little bit of velcro on the helmet and the seat and when he would start to fall asleep I could velcro his helmet to the back of the seat. Sounds nuts but it worked,

                      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "andycotgreave" <andy.cotgreave@> wrote:

                      > > Today was the first time my ten month old went on the Peapod LT.
                      > > As you can see from the photo (http://bit.ly/9WL7Gr), she seems a bit small for it. Also, because her head's not high up, the back of the seat pushes her helmet forwards.
                      > > Any ideas on how to make the helmet less tilted? We tried stuffing some clothes behind her back, but without much success.

                      Love the Velcro idea, Beth. We use shockcord which I delicately thread through our boy's helmet holes when he is asleep and then stretch over the back of the PeaPodLT. His head is like a bowlingball, and I'm pretty sure Velcro won't hold it, else I'd try your idea.

                      Andy, when our daughter was first in our trailer, she looked tiny, her helmet would get pushed forwards and she would look just plain unsupported. Until she got bigger, we used one of those vacuum storage bags, filled it half-full of polystyrene balls (like from a beanbag), put her in the seat with her harness and helmet on, positioned her comfortably then sucked the air out of the vacuum bag (with a vacuum cleaner, obviously), and Voilá! - a perfect fit with no helmet tip! It was adjustable as she grew too. For a much nicer fit, positioning bags are available from wheelchair/seating suppliers, but they cost serious $$$. I think this concept would work in the PeaPodLT seat if you got the right sized bag.

                      I have to admit, when she did get too big for that idea, we again had trouble with helmet tippage in the trailer. I ended up using no helmet for a while, figuring our Burley solid-bottomed trailer with rollcage was protective enough.

                      Then we got a better-fitting helmet, with a flattish occipital section. That made life much easier. These Little Nuttys are good - not the lightest but a good shape overall. http://www.nutcasehelmets.com/Pages/LittleNutty.aspx

                      Cath
                    • Diane
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 12, 2010
                        You may wish to consider a kids travel pillow. It's a little U-shaped roll of stuffed fabric that should work OK as long as its not too big in diameter.

                        Scott

                        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "andycotgreave" <andy.cotgreave@...> wrote:

                        > Hi
                        > Today was the first time my ten month old went on the Peapod LT.
                        > As you can see from the photo (http://bit.ly/9WL7Gr), she seems a bit small for it. Also, because her head's not high up, the back of the seat pushes her helmet forwards.
                        >
                        > Any ideas on how to make the helmet less tilted? We tried stuffing some clothes behind her back, but without much success.
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        >
                        > Andy

                      • andycotgreave
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 18, 2010
                          Dear all,
                          Many thanks for all the replies and ideas about getting a little one to fit properly into a Peapod LT. We fixed the problem by putting a towel on the seat - very simple, but it lifted Lucy, the 10-month old, just enough to stop the helmet tipping down.

                          Since then, we've ridden to nursery about 5 or 6 times and it's been wonderful. She seems perfectly happy and the biggest joy is how much Beatrice, the elder daughter, likes to turn round and make Lucy giggle - she's essentially doing my job for her!

                          Tips I've learnt so far:
                          1. At first, the handling with two kids is really odd. But I got used to it really quickly
                          2. I'm very glad I've got a kickstand!
                          3. It's harder work with two kids - but that's not a bad thing; it gets me fitter, and I can eat more cake as a result.

                          Andy