Foot Pegs/ footsies DIY

  • READ BEFORE YOU BOOK
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2010
      Hey I'm trying to put foot pegs on my free rad for adult sized passengers. I got mountain bike bar ends because i saw some people had used them for this but i can't figure out how to attach them. The two options i see are to put the tips in the hole where wideloaders fit in or to use the clamp on the bar ends to attach to the chainstay or lower part of the x-frame. Issues are- how do i fasten the bar ends into the wideloader hole or how do i open up the bar end clamp to attach to the x-frame?
      Any ideas?

      I put a stem on the seat post and attached handlebars that are working pretty well. The foot pegs are the last step to having a fully functioning back seat to shuttle folks around campus.

      By the way- I beat the bus today on my daily commute into town on the X. Proud moment.
    • Rick Pickett
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2010
        They need to clamp to your V-racks, the frame members your FreeLoader bags are hanging on.

        Cheers,
        Rick

        "The bicycle is a curious vehicle.  Its passenger is its engine."  – John Howard

        graphic wrangler | rick@...
        888.537-1401 x709 | fully engage

        On Feb 3, 2010, at 9:40 PM, READ BEFORE YOU BOOK wrote:

        Hey I'm trying to put foot pegs on my free rad for adult sized passengers. I got mountain bike bar ends because i saw some people had used them for this but i can't figure out how to attach them. The two options i see are to put the tips in the hole where wideloaders fit in or to use the clamp on the bar ends to attach to the chainstay or lower part of the x-frame. Issues are- how do i fasten the bar ends into the wideloader hole or how do i open up the bar end clamp to attach to the x-frame?
        Any ideas?

        I put a stem on the seat post and attached handlebars that are working pretty well. The foot pegs are the last step to having a fully functioning back seat to shuttle folks around campus.

        By the way- I beat the bus today on my daily commute into town on the X. Proud moment.

      • Diane
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2010
          Josh,

          I have two kid passengers and also needed to MacGuyver some footpegs for my young rear passengers. I didn't go with MBX bar ends, but used BMX "fork stand" foot pegs that were popular for BMX freestyling way back in the day. They're designed to wrap around and clamp to an old style BMX fork. They were manufactured sometime in the late 70s or 80s and haven't been available for some time. I found mine on eBay for about $25.

          I use whatchamacollars on my BD (and younger kids w/ short legs), so I attached the pegs above the collars around the V-rack tubing. Although they had an aluminum shim included, the peg + shim turned out to be too tight to attach to the V-racks if I included the shim. I ended up creating my own shims to make sure I had a tight fit. I simply cut up a couple of aluminum cans to make the shims. Once I had strips the correct length and width of the clamping surface, I just stacked layer after layer of aluminum until I achieved the correct depth to insure a tight fit. I believe it took something like 13 layers of aluminum per peg before I got it right, so take your time. Also, be aware that these tubes are fragile. The V-racks are aluminum. I believe if you attempt to attach below collars to the subframe, that'll be steel and a little stronger. However, you can pinch the tubes and compromise the strength of your back end if you try to clamp it too tight.

          If you want, I can look to see the manufacturer of my pegs to see if you can scrounge up some more. Just let me know.

          Scott
          Washington, DC

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "READ BEFORE YOU BOOK" <joshhoxie@...> wrote:

          > Hey I'm trying to put foot pegs on my free rad for adult sized passengers. I got mountain bike bar ends because i saw some people had used them for this but i can't figure out how to attach them. The two options i see are to put the tips in the hole where wideloaders fit in or to use the clamp on the bar ends to attach to the chainstay or lower part of the x-frame. Issues are- how do i fasten the bar ends into the wideloader hole or how do i open up the bar end clamp to attach to the x-frame?
          > Any ideas?
          >

          > I put a stem on the seat post and attached handlebars that are working pretty well. The foot pegs are the last step to having a fully functioning back seat to shuttle folks around campus.
          >
          > By the way- I beat the bus today on my daily commute into town on the X. Proud moment.

        • Galen Fitzpatrick
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4, 2010
            +1 on the bmx footpegs, I put a set on the uprights of my Big Dummy. I got mine on ebay for a song.

            -Galen

            On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:05 AM, Diane <diane.douglas8@...> wrote:

            Josh,

            I have two kid passengers and also needed to MacGuyver some footpegs for my young rear passengers. I didn't go with MBX bar ends, but used BMX "fork stand" foot pegs that were popular for BMX freestyling way back in the day. They're designed to wrap around and clamp to an old style BMX fork. They were manufactured sometime in the late 70s or 80s and haven't been available for some time. I found mine on eBay for about $25.

            I use whatchamacollars on my BD (and younger kids w/ short legs), so I attached the pegs above the collars around the V-rack tubing. Although they had an aluminum shim included, the peg + shim turned out to be too tight to attach to the V-racks if I included the shim. I ended up creating my own shims to make sure I had a tight fit. I simply cut up a couple of aluminum cans to make the shims. Once I had strips the correct length and width of the clamping surface, I just stacked layer after layer of aluminum until I achieved the correct depth to insure a tight fit. I believe it took something like 13 layers of aluminum per peg before I got it right, so take your time. Also, be aware that these tubes are fragile. The V-racks are aluminum. I believe if you attempt to attach below collars to the subframe, that'll be steel and a little stronger. However, you can pinch the tubes and compromise the strength of your back end if you try to clamp it too tight.

            If you want, I can look to see the manufacturer of my pegs to see if you can scrounge up some more. Just let me know.

            Scott
            Washington, DC

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "READ BEFORE YOU BOOK" <joshhoxie@...> wrote:

            > Hey I'm trying to put foot pegs on my free rad for adult sized passengers. I got mountain bike bar ends because i saw some people had used them for this but i can't figure out how to attach them. The two options i see are to put the tips in the hole where wideloaders fit in or to use the clamp on the bar ends to attach to the chainstay or lower part of the x-frame. Issues are- how do i fasten the bar ends into the wideloader hole or how do i open up the bar end clamp to attach to the x-frame?
            > Any ideas?
            >

            > I put a stem on the seat post and attached handlebars that are working pretty well. The foot pegs are the last step to having a fully functioning back seat to shuttle folks around campus.
            >
            > By the way- I beat the bus today on my daily commute into town on the X. Proud moment.

          • coach4many
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 4, 2010
              I saw someone else use the handlebars from a scooter like a razor as they have they have the pegs that fit in the holes on the free rad. Its what I am looking at doing.
              Beth
              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Galen Fitzpatrick <galen.fitzpatrick@...> wrote:

              > +1 on the bmx footpegs, I put a set on the uprights of my Big Dummy. I got
              > mine on ebay for a song.
              >
              > -Galen
              >
              > On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:05 AM, Diane <diane.douglas8@...> wrote:
              >

              > > Josh,
              > >
              > > I have two kid passengers and also needed to MacGuyver some footpegs for my
              > > young rear passengers. I didn't go with MBX bar ends, but used BMX "fork
              > > stand" foot pegs that were popular for BMX freestyling way back in the day.
              > > They're designed to wrap around and clamp to an old style BMX fork. They
              > > were manufactured sometime in the late 70s or 80s and haven't been available
              > > for some time. I found mine on eBay for about $25.
              > >
              > > I use whatchamacollars on my BD (and younger kids w/ short legs), so I
              > > attached the pegs above the collars around the V-rack tubing. Although they
              > > had an aluminum shim included, the peg + shim turned out to be too tight to
              > > attach to the V-racks if I included the shim. I ended up creating my own
              > > shims to make sure I had a tight fit. I simply cut up a couple of aluminum
              > > cans to make the shims. Once I had strips the correct length and width of
              > > the clamping surface, I just stacked layer after layer of aluminum until I
              > > achieved the correct depth to insure a tight fit. I believe it took
              > > something like 13 layers of aluminum per peg before I got it right, so take
              > > your time. Also, be aware that these tubes are fragile. The V-racks are
              > > aluminum. I believe if you attempt to attach below collars to the subframe,
              > > that'll be steel and a little stronger. However, you can pinch the tubes and
              > > compromise the strength of your back end if you try to clamp it too tight.
              > >
              > > If you want, I can look to see the manufacturer of my pegs to see if you
              > > can scrounge up some more. Just let me know.
              > >
              > > Scott
              > > Washington, DC
              > >

              > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com <rootsradicals%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > > "READ BEFORE YOU BOOK" <joshhoxie@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hey I'm trying to put foot pegs on my free rad for adult sized
              > > passengers. I got mountain bike bar ends because i saw some people had used
              > > them for this but i can't figure out how to attach them. The two options i
              > > see are to put the tips in the hole where wideloaders fit in or to use the
              > > clamp on the bar ends to attach to the chainstay or lower part of the
              > > x-frame. Issues are- how do i fasten the bar ends into the wideloader hole
              > > or how do i open up the bar end clamp to attach to the x-frame?
              > > > Any ideas?
              > > >

              > > > I put a stem on the seat post and attached handlebars that are working
              > > pretty well. The foot pegs are the last step to having a fully functioning
              > > back seat to shuttle folks around campus.
              > > >
              > > > By the way- I beat the bus today on my daily commute into town on the X.
              > > Proud moment.

            • katethelizard
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 4, 2010
                Bar ends do look cool, and good for lashing.

                I built a lightweight removable set that fit into the front opening where wideloaders go. They're made of a wooden paint roller handle extenstion kit, and kid's bike bar grips. The pegs stow when not in use, and the orange connector lives inside the FreeRad tube. WideLoaders can still be inserted with the connector in there. The pegs aren't strong enough to be stood on by an adult, but are good enough for riding, and won't bark your shins when they're not there.

                Photos and instructions here on RootsRad under "Kate's X":

                Cheers,
                Kate