Re: [rootsradicals] Nuvinci & Xtracycle: Derailleur Hanger Alignment (xpost)

  • Neil Walsh
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2010
      Once I got the vertical dropout kit and the DMR chain tensioner, I had 0 problems with fitting my Nuvinci.

      The only issue is the size of the cruise control, which tends to interfere with most chain tensioners. The DMR one is the only one that will work in my experience. Nuvinci were meant to be releasing one of their own. I am not sure if it was ever released, but from the images I did see of it, it was the same design as the DMR one.

      Neil

      On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Rick Pickett <rick@...> wrote:

      the joys of the nuvinci never cease! :D

      jason, an early adopter-come-abandoner of his nuvinici had many a hangup with his Big Dummy and fitting...

      some other pix from a "nuvinci xtracycle" search: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=nuvinci%20xtracycle&w=all

      cheers,
      rick

      "Truly, the bicycle is the most influential piece of product design ever."  – Hugh Pearman

      pixel pusher rick@...
      888.537-1401 x709 | xtracycle.com

      On Feb 2, 2010, at 6:43 AM, speedub_nate wrote:

      (xposted to the MTBR & Xtracycle forums)

      I'm spamming the forums today before breaking out the Dremel:

      The drive side anti-rotation plate that comes with Nuvinci's Vertical Dropout Kit doesn't align properly with the derailleur hanger on the Freeradical.

      Anybody know of a quick-and-easy solution before I start drilling and grinding a flat-sided axle hole into a new plate?

      PIC: http://bit.ly/b2Kiwa
      Photo ripped from Harvey_Mushmann)

    • speedub_nate
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2010
        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Rick Pickett <rick@...> wrote:

        > the joys of the nuvinci never cease! :D
        >
        > jason, an early adopter-come-abandoner of his nuvinici had many a hangup with his Big Dummy and fitting...

        Ha! I'd laugh at that zip tie fix, 'cept you haven't seen the way my Sram i9 coaster brake has been secured to my Xootr folder for the past two years.
      • speedub_nate
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 2, 2010
          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Neil Walsh <walsh.neil@...> wrote:

          > Once I got the vertical dropout kit and the DMR chain tensioner, I had 0
          > problems with fitting my Nuvinci.

          Does this combination somehow solve or do away with the plate alignment issue?

          Any pictures to share?

          Thanks.
        • Neil Walsh
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 2, 2010
            I'm not too sure that it will take care of that problem. it looks like the position of the derailleur hanger on the Freeradical is different to the Big Dummy.

            This the best picture I have for the moment

            Fallbrook have a tech guide on their website for putting a Nuvinci on a bike with vertical dropouts

            Neil

            On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 3:31 PM, speedub_nate <speedub.nate@...> wrote:

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Neil Walsh <walsh.neil@...> wrote:

            > Once I got the vertical dropout kit and the DMR chain tensioner, I had 0
            > problems with fitting my Nuvinci.

            Does this combination somehow solve or do away with the plate alignment issue?

            Any pictures to share?

            Thanks.

          • Rich
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 2, 2010
              I have the NuVinci hub and tensioner installed on a 1990 Trek 950. The NuVinci tensioner is the same basic design as th DMR one based on the photos I googled. No problem fitting the Trek vertical dropout and derailleur hanger.

              DMR Custom Machining has a NuVinci-Xtracycle specific tensioner but it is expensive. The web site also shows a Xtracycle specific center stand.

              http://dgcustommachining.blogspot.com/2008/09/nuvinci-torsion-bartensioner.html

              Here is a Flickr photo on mods to use a Melvin tensioner with the NuVinci on a Big Dummy

              http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikecobb/3047602742/

              Per a web search apparently Rolling Jackass has done a custom NuVinci compatible dual pulley chain tensioner too.

              Rich Wood

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 2, 2010
                Correction, that should be DG's Custom Machining in the second paragraph in the below post. Sorry about that!

                Rich Wood

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 2, 2010
                  So today I fashioned up a replacement adapter out of a tuna can lid an a piece of dental floss. Boy howdy, It worked a treat!

                  Since I can't post pictures here, I will instead refer you to MTBR's cargo bike forum, where I have posted the gory details:

                  http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=590164