Re: [rootsradicals] Tarp-tent with Xtracycle

  • Ryan Alward
    Message 1 of 35 , Feb 1 11:36 AM
      Mark,

      I would suggest the window shield like I use. I got it from walmart and it stays put pretty well and it is wide enough for it to fold around me like a taco. I hate the space blankets for the reasons you mentioned, they just move too much. It's also funny to be the guy on the trail with a folded up windshield cover when you are miles away from the nearest car. They are WAY lighter than therma-rests and they are easier to pack.

      -Ryan

      Message 35 of 35 , Feb 24 4:35 AM
        Hi Kate,

        That zipper mod does look nice. It adds weight. Also, I'm not sure how
        well zippers work under pressure of getting into and out of a hammock,
        but quite a few hammocks do use zippers.

        The Hennessey is the lightest complete package. Even so, I'm thinking
        I'd probably prefer something like this
        <http://www.mosquitohammock.com/mosquitohammock.html>, but with black
        netting (white isn't see-through). I like being able to sleep in the
        diagonal and I prefer sleeping head right and feet left of the center
        line. Hennessey's Asym hammock are all oriented head left and feet
        right of the center line.

        Yes, try several before you buy. Test each for several nights (like a
        month?), too.

        CL

        katethelizard wrote:
        > Cara Lin,
        >
        > I did some reading up on hammocks, and found a husband-wife team that can modify a Hennessy Hammock with a zipper on the side for that easy outside access without using the bottom slit. Pretty neat.
        >
        > Check out http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/
        >
        > I'm experimenting with a couple hammocks friends have loaned me. Fun.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Kate

        Cara Lin Bridgman cara.lin@...

        Taichung County 43499