Re: [rootsradicals] Re: An Interesting Hybrid Drivetrain

  • Andrew Kreps
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2010
      On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 3:13 AM, speedub_nate <speedub.nate@...> wrote:
      The downside is that the drivetrain becomes cluttered with a tensioner AND a front derailleur. At that point, I question why not just run with a cassette and rear derailleur, skipping the extra weight of the gear hub all together?

      In my mind, it's all about maintenance.  With an internally geared hub, the chain isn't constantly jumping cogs, wearing it out; there is also no rear derailleur to adjust periodically.  When it comes time to replace the rear cog, it's probably closer to $10 than $80 for the fancier 9 speed cassettes.  Depending on your hub, you can also shift while stopped.

      As an aside, can we all agree that hybrid is an overused term?  It's a bike and there's a chain and there's gears.  Nothing hybrid about that.  :)

    • speedub_nate
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2010
        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Kreps <andrew.kreps@...> wrote:

        > In my mind, it's all about maintenance. With an internally geared hub, the
        > chain isn't constantly jumping cogs, wearing it out; there is also no
        > rear derailleur to adjust periodically. When it comes time to replace the
        > rear cog, it's probably closer to $10 than $80 for the fancier 9 speed
        > cassettes. Depending on your hub, you can also shift while stopped.

        Good points, though I'd still rather live with a rear derailleur over a front derailleur given the choice.  But no derailleurs is better yet, and my bikes all agree wholeheartedly with that sentiment! :)
      • Rich
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2010
          The only reason I can see for such a setup as the Jamis one is if you definitely want a wider range overall IGH drivetrain than the 340% provided by the SRAM iM9 or the 305% provided by the Shimano 8 speed hubs and cannot afford a Rohloff hub.

          I would use it with the chain normally on the large ring and only shift to the small one when encountering riding conditions where the lowest gears available were needed.

          I originally posted to show what is available and that some bike manufacturers are willing to think outside of the box of drivetrain orthodoxy.

          Rich Wood