Re: [rootsradicals] Tarp-tent with Xtracycle

  • Devian Gilbert
    Message 1 of 35 , Feb 1, 2010
      duct tape?

      On Feb 1, 2010, at 10:43 AM, MH wrote:

      Hi Ryan,

      I've used mylar space blankets and they don't stay put like my sleeping bag
      I lay on if need be. Do you have any suggestions for making them stay put?

      Thank you,
      -Mark Hoagy

      Ryan Alward wrote:
      > Mark,
      >
      > The hammocks are pretty amazing. I purchased one of those large reflective fold up winshield covers for a truck. I unfold it and lay on that. I am 6' tall and it is enough to be under my feet, butt and back. A space blanket would work just fine. I have also used the bubble wrap that has reflective material on both sides, it is used for hot water heater insulation. I think the truck visor is the best, it is light weight and I don't feel like it will rip as a spaceblanket may.
      >
      > so you don't need a 'pad' just something to reflect your heat back to you.
      >
      > I have a 20 deg down bag. Without the reflector I am golden to about 35-40 degrees, with it, I am fine all the way down to 20 deg.
      >
      > Hennesy also has a false bottom that you can get and you can use clothes, leaves or pine needles as insulation, I don't have that and haven't used it, but I like the concept.
      >
      > Take it easy,
      >
      > - Ryan

    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 35 of 35 , Feb 24, 2010
        Hi Kate,

        That zipper mod does look nice. It adds weight. Also, I'm not sure how
        well zippers work under pressure of getting into and out of a hammock,
        but quite a few hammocks do use zippers.

        The Hennessey is the lightest complete package. Even so, I'm thinking
        I'd probably prefer something like this
        <http://www.mosquitohammock.com/mosquitohammock.html>, but with black
        netting (white isn't see-through). I like being able to sleep in the
        diagonal and I prefer sleeping head right and feet left of the center
        line. Hennessey's Asym hammock are all oriented head left and feet
        right of the center line.

        Yes, try several before you buy. Test each for several nights (like a
        month?), too.

        CL

        katethelizard wrote:
        > Cara Lin,
        >
        > I did some reading up on hammocks, and found a husband-wife team that can modify a Hennessy Hammock with a zipper on the side for that easy outside access without using the bottom slit. Pretty neat.
        >
        > Check out http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/
        >
        > I'm experimenting with a couple hammocks friends have loaned me. Fun.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Kate

        Cara Lin Bridgman cara.lin@...

        Taichung County 43499