Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Tarp-tent with Xtracycle

  • Joe Kisley
    Message 1 of 35 , Feb 1, 2010
      I've never tried to put the Big Dummy inside the Hex 3, but I don't think it would fit. I can easily put my mountain bike in it, but I think an Xtracycle/Big Dummy would be too long.

      Joe
      http://ninemileskid.blogspot.com/

      On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 11:46 AM, MH <hoagy@...> wrote:

      I used the -- Pyramid Fly (Miner's tent, Square tent, Range tent, etc)
      although maybe for the longtail bicycles this would be better -- Rectangular
      Pyramid Fly (Easy Pyramid Fly) http://www.equipped.org/tarp-shelters.htm

      -Mark Hoagy

      katethelizard wrote:
      > Mark, That's an excellent site with all those tarp-shelter plans. Which one exactly did you use?
      >
      > Ryan, the Hennessey Hammock is one of the options I'm considering. Did you carry anything to cover your bike from the elements or just put it under the hammock?
      >
      > Joe, could you get an Xtracycle in the GoLite Hex3? Any comments on using it in hot weather?
      >
      > Thanks, all!
      > Kate

    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 35 of 35 , Feb 24, 2010
        Hi Kate,

        That zipper mod does look nice. It adds weight. Also, I'm not sure how
        well zippers work under pressure of getting into and out of a hammock,
        but quite a few hammocks do use zippers.

        The Hennessey is the lightest complete package. Even so, I'm thinking
        I'd probably prefer something like this
        <http://www.mosquitohammock.com/mosquitohammock.html>, but with black
        netting (white isn't see-through). I like being able to sleep in the
        diagonal and I prefer sleeping head right and feet left of the center
        line. Hennessey's Asym hammock are all oriented head left and feet
        right of the center line.

        Yes, try several before you buy. Test each for several nights (like a
        month?), too.

        CL

        katethelizard wrote:
        > Cara Lin,
        >
        > I did some reading up on hammocks, and found a husband-wife team that can modify a Hennessy Hammock with a zipper on the side for that easy outside access without using the bottom slit. Pretty neat.
        >
        > Check out http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/
        >
        > I'm experimenting with a couple hammocks friends have loaned me. Fun.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Kate

        Cara Lin Bridgman cara.lin@...

        Taichung County 43499