Re: [rootsradicals] Tarp-tent with Xtracycle

  • MH
    Message 1 of 35 , Feb 1, 2010
      Hi Ryan,

      For the lighter weight people these hammocks sound great. But doesn't your
      backside get cold? I lay on a insulated pad when camping. Do you?

      Thank you,
      -Mark Hoagy

      Ryan Alward wrote:
      > Kate,
      >
      > I use a hammock, I know it isn't a tarp but it is really light, comfortable and keeps you dry. Check out http://hennessyhammock.com/ I have had the Ultralight Backpacker for ~5 years and I have used it snow camping, in the pouring rain, in the desert and sleeping on the beach. I highly recommend them.
      >
      > It's nice they don't have poles and you can leave the rainfly if you don't need it.
      >
      > Take it easy,
      >
      > - Ryan

    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 35 of 35 , Feb 24, 2010
        Hi Kate,

        That zipper mod does look nice. It adds weight. Also, I'm not sure how
        well zippers work under pressure of getting into and out of a hammock,
        but quite a few hammocks do use zippers.

        The Hennessey is the lightest complete package. Even so, I'm thinking
        I'd probably prefer something like this
        <http://www.mosquitohammock.com/mosquitohammock.html>, but with black
        netting (white isn't see-through). I like being able to sleep in the
        diagonal and I prefer sleeping head right and feet left of the center
        line. Hennessey's Asym hammock are all oriented head left and feet
        right of the center line.

        Yes, try several before you buy. Test each for several nights (like a
        month?), too.

        CL

        katethelizard wrote:
        > Cara Lin,
        >
        > I did some reading up on hammocks, and found a husband-wife team that can modify a Hennessy Hammock with a zipper on the side for that easy outside access without using the bottom slit. Pretty neat.
        >
        > Check out http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/
        >
        > I'm experimenting with a couple hammocks friends have loaned me. Fun.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Kate

        Cara Lin Bridgman cara.lin@...

        Taichung County 43499