Tarp-tent with Xtracycle

  • katethelizard
    Message 1 of 35 , Feb 1, 2010
      Has anyone experimented with creating a tarp-tent using a parked Xtracyle as one of the supports? It would be nice to eliminate tent weight by using a tarp to cover both bike and rider at night. There are some designs out there for regular touring bikes, but with the longer wheelbase an X could make an even better setup. With the Wideloaders on the X could be leaned over sturdily, and if one had trekking poles they could be additional tarp supports. Could this be done with a regular rectangular tarp, or has anyone created any tarp modifications that make an even better shelter? I haven't camped with a tarp much, mostly tenting, but am willing to try it. Very interested in anyone's successes/failures/conjectures for this project. Thanks, Kate
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 35 of 35 , Feb 24, 2010
        Hi Kate,

        That zipper mod does look nice. It adds weight. Also, I'm not sure how
        well zippers work under pressure of getting into and out of a hammock,
        but quite a few hammocks do use zippers.

        The Hennessey is the lightest complete package. Even so, I'm thinking
        I'd probably prefer something like this
        <http://www.mosquitohammock.com/mosquitohammock.html>, but with black
        netting (white isn't see-through). I like being able to sleep in the
        diagonal and I prefer sleeping head right and feet left of the center
        line. Hennessey's Asym hammock are all oriented head left and feet
        right of the center line.

        Yes, try several before you buy. Test each for several nights (like a
        month?), too.

        CL

        katethelizard wrote:
        > Cara Lin,
        >
        > I did some reading up on hammocks, and found a husband-wife team that can modify a Hennessy Hammock with a zipper on the side for that easy outside access without using the bottom slit. Pretty neat.
        >
        > Check out http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/
        >
        > I'm experimenting with a couple hammocks friends have loaned me. Fun.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Kate

        Cara Lin Bridgman cara.lin@...

        Taichung County 43499