Velo Orange Fenders

  • Rich
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 29, 2010
      Has anyone used these and if so how do you like them? From the web site they are nice looking fenders at reasonable prices for all metal fenders. I have ordered the stainless steel 60mm wide ones for my BD. They also carry Japanese Honjo all metal fenders. Personally I prefer the look of metal fenders to plastic.

      I think I will name my BD the Queen Mary II, QM II in short form. ;-)

      Rich Wood
    • Rich
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2010
        The VO stainless steel fenders arrived today and I now have the front one mounted. The BD fork is long enough so the normal VO Daruma is useless. I machined my own support piece for the front fender to steerer tube hookup which ended up extending down from the steerer tube bottom point about 1.25". The piece I made is round aluminum which fits up into the steerer tube and is bolted in by a bolt in the front hole that is drilled into the steerer tube near the bottom.

        The fender sits symmetrical, straight and the curve is an excellent match to the 50mm Schwalbe Big Apple tires but getting it mounted right is a fiddly job.

        Next is on to the rear one.

        Rich Wood

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone used these and if so how do you like them? From the web site they are nice looking fenders at reasonable prices for all metal fenders. I have ordered the stainless steel 60mm wide ones for my BD. They also carry Japanese Honjo all metal fenders. Personally I prefer the look of metal fenders to plastic.
        >
        > I think I will name my BD the Queen Mary II, QM II in short form. ;-)
        >
        > Rich Wood

      • Rich
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2010
          Both VO Stainless Steel fenders are now mounted and IMO looking good. No drilling was required on either fender and the only added parts needed at the rear were some SS washers that I fortunately had on hand. The standard snapdeck clears the rear fender by about 3/4". At the rear I mounted the fender stays inside the Big Dummy's tail section tubes so there is no contact with the bags. It just took a bit of judicious bending of the stays, and installing the stay to frame mounting clips inside the rear eyelets, to do it that way.

          Due to the height of the steerer tube bottom on the BD front fork I was lucky to have a lathe to make the required spacer/adapter piece for mounting the front fender. An L bracket would have worked but IMO would not have provided nearly as sturdy a mount and would have required an additional hole drilled in the front fender. Personally I feel my solution looks better as well as being ultra solid.

          Rich Wood

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

          > The VO stainless steel fenders arrived today and I now have the front one mounted. The BD fork is long enough so the normal VO Daruma is useless. I machined my own support piece for the front fender to steerer tube hookup which ended up extending down from the steerer tube bottom point about 1.25". The piece I made is round aluminum which fits up into the steerer tube and is bolted in by a bolt in the front hole that is drilled into the steerer tube near the bottom.
          >
          > The fender sits symmetrical, straight and the curve is an excellent match to the 50mm Schwalbe Big Apple tires but getting it mounted right is a fiddly job.
          >
          > Next is on to the rear one.
          >
          > Rich Wood
          >
          > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Has anyone used these and if so how do you like them? From the web site they are nice looking fenders at reasonable prices for all metal fenders. I have ordered the stainless steel 60mm wide ones for my BD. They also carry Japanese Honjo all metal fenders. Personally I prefer the look of metal fenders to plastic.
          > >
          > > I think I will name my BD the Queen Mary II, QM II in short form. ;-)
          > >
          > > Rich Wood

        • David Dannenberg
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 7, 2010
            Send us a picture!
          • Rich
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 8, 2010
              Spacers basically identical to mine are visible on some of the bikes offered by Peter White Cycles. The only difference I see is that he has also tapped them for a dynamo headlight bracket. See the 4th down photo of the silver grey Silk Road just above the frame specifications tables A similar spacer, dark painted, is on the dark green bike with Brooks saddle shown further down the page.

              The idea is so obvious to me that I am not surprised that someone else did it first!

              http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/tout-terrain.asp

              Rich Wood