Re: 700c Big Dummy?

  • Rich
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 29, 2010
      Rick;

      True but not all of the world is IGH fans like thee and me! Have you checked out the Geared Hub Bikes Yahoo group yet? All rootsradicals members are invited to check it out and join if it looks to be of interest to you.

      Currently up to 230 members from around the world. Lots of links to IGH related services and sources available. I started it in late 2008.

      Rich Wood

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Rick Pickett <rick@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > > wrap. After all I am not getting any younger.
      > > Never the less, while reading all the related posts I do wonder why
      > > people deal with the head aches of broken spokes and even truing. That is
      > > another great thing about the Aerospokes… you never have to true them.
      > > Also, it is a LOT easier to get a lock/cable/chain through a wide open
      > > Aerospoke than it is a butt load of metal spokes… and more pleasant to
      > > lock through especially in cold wet conditions.
      > > I realize the initial cost is very pricey. I think when I upgraded from
      > > standard 26" Aerospokes to disc-brake 26" Aerospokes the total cost (when
      > > figuring the original trade-in value of the set of standard Aerospokes)
      > > came out to something like $850. These days it seems they offer the same
      > > thing on their web site for $100 less as well as a beefier tandem version
      > > for around $850. At the time I was working off of a messenger's
      > > salary/commission, and I definitely KNEW and felt it was a major
      > > investment. However, I have had these things for several years without
      > > any issues! Actually, that is not totally accurate. Once when I was
      > > moving my girlfriend's (now wife's) furniture from her apartment to mine
      > > in Brooklyn the bulging side of my load bumped into the turned-out large
      > > tire of an SUV, which sent me crashing onto my side. The impact with the
      > > big heavy load caused my front Aerospoke to become barely out of true,
      > > but without any visible cracks or anything to this day. In fact the
      > > photos linked above were taken almost a year after that incident.
      > >
      > > Do not get me wrong folks. I am not trying to put down people with
      > > traditionally spoked wheels. That would be absolutely ridiculous in the
      > > long wonderful history of bicycling! I am just bringing this up and
      > > asking the question out of wonder. Are people at all aware of Aerospokes
      > > and how good they really are? I will say they tend to be slightly heavier
      > > than an average spoked wheel, but I would think they might be about the
      > > same as a strong-spoked cargo bike wheel. Also, from my understanding at
      > > a certain speed (I think around 20 mph) Aerospoke wheels become greatly
      > > more aerodynamic compared to metal spoked wheels, which tend to churn the
      > > wind and generate more wind resistance. Of course on a cargo bike this
      > > may not really ever become a reasonable factor of comparison.
      > >
      > > Oh yeah, I forgot to mention one major drawback to Aerospokes… you will
      > > not be able to attach/slide-in spoke-cards (if you are into alleycat
      > > racing) and you will probably have issues attaching spoke lights. It was
      > > a real bummer when I found out my wife wanted to get me a set of those
      > > sweet looking programmable multi-colored persistence-of-vision patterned
      > > LED spoke lights for Xmas. <Sigh>
      > > And another thing… to get back to the topic of discussion to avoid the
      > > heat of me being a 26 incher on a 700c thread… Aerospoke also carries
      > > 700c wheels in both rim-brake and disc brake versions!

    • Rick Pickett
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 29, 2010
        Sweet, I'm geared up! Speaking of which, I need to do an oil change pronto!

        "Truly, the bicycle is the most influential piece of product design ever."  – Hugh Pearman

        pixel pusher rick@...
        888.537-1401 x709 | xtracycle.com

        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Geared_ hub_bikes/