Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Re-introduction

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 10 , May 17, 2007
      Every semester in the first day of my Environmental Science class, I ask
      my students how they want to get to work after they graduate: walk,
      bike, bus, motorbike, car? Motorbike and car always tie for first place
      by a very very wide margin. Each semester 1-2 out of 20-30 says bike or
      bus. Each semester I point out that they are in a sports school (a
      school that produces some of Taiwan's Olympic winners) and they're not
      planning on exercising on their way to work? Some students actually
      look thoughtful after I've made that comment.

      Part of the reason why I bike is because I can't lecture on peak oil and
      global warming and all the other myriad environmental problems without
      trying to practice what I preach. This semester, in my Human Ecology
      class, we spent a few days looking into the effects cars have on
      communities, economics, and health--looking at the total costs. I could
      be driving, like most of the teachers in the school. My first year, I
      rode a motorbike.

      Now I ride the bike. Although I sometimes feel a little bit like it's
      cheating, I really appreciate the addition of the Stokemonkey. It
      ensures I can get home without heat exhaustion--an unbelievably huge
      plus. Yesterday, on the way to school, the bottom fell out of the sky.
      It was the most enormous downpour. The Stokemonkey, which I usually
      do not use on the way to school, helped ensure I arrived school damp,
      not dripping, from sweat inside my rain gear. I have one of those bike
      capes, but the way cars kick up splash, only a submarine is the complete
      solution. Yesterday, I was inside a cagoule-like thing with hood that
      everyone uses with their motorbikes. It was like being enclosed in
      saran wrap.

      CL

      Todd Fahrner wrote:
      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote:
      >
      >> The local Giant distributor doesn't think the Stokemonkey will sell well
      >> because it has no freewheel on the crank. He may be right, all the
      >> people I see on electric bicycles are sitting, not peddling. In Taiwan,
      >> unfortunately, there is still a pretty strong feeling that manual labor
      >> is for the poor and uneducated and Lance Armstrong imitators.
      >
      > I'm not surprised, yet. It's not much different here, really, among the lower classes. Biking is
      > not cool among the poor -- the classes that could benefit most from learning to multiply
      > their power with bike technology instead of buying and fueling inhumanly heavy vehicles.
      > Your kung fu is strong, Cara.
    • Rainbow Flight
      Message 2 of 10 , May 18, 2007
        Hey Cara
        I'm impressed! Thanks for sharing your story.
        I set up ASPO-Nelson and helped set up ASPO-NZ (www.aspo.org.nz) and am honoured to hear your story of walking your talk. I'm waiting with anticipation for my Stokemonkey to arrive, looking to increase my Xtracycle use significantly, going as car light as possible.
        With oil at US$70 a barrel this morning, things are looking more interesting, huh??!!
        I really want one of the bumper stickers on "The SUB that Ate Detroit"(http://home.comcast.net/~manewal1/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html)
        at http://home.comcast.net/~manewal1/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-2845842.html .....I never saw a bumper stick with such clarity as this one before....

        Regards
        Ted