Rear Lights

  • larry_swartz
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 25, 2010
      I'm new to the group, just joined and just built up a re-cycled Xtracyle on an old mountain bike. I had a problem that looks like it got addressed before, the losing of a Blinky Superflash while attached to the back of my rack. I'm probably going to bolt a "L" bracket and to the Snap Deck, and then the Planet Bike rack mount to that, hopefully I won't lose the next one. But my question is, has anybody tried to use the Reelights? It attaches to the rear dropout, and even though it will be far back into the bike, as a backup it should be fine. Just wondering about interference with the bags.

      Thanks
      Larry
    • Rick Pickett
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 25, 2010
        My choice are Knogs. Super easy on/off, multiple sizes and styles/colors. Cool, no slip rubber casing. I use the bullfrog and skink and the small frogs, in black, so that they blend in with my bags.

        Testing a new product for a company, bike brightz, cool ground effects LED like a Down Low Glow. Will share the write-up and photos when I'm done.

        Cheers,
        Rick

        "Truly, the bicycle is the most influential piece of product design ever."  – Hugh Pearman

        pixel pusher rick@...
        888.537-1401 x709 | xtracycle.com

        On Jan 25, 2010, at 9:30 AM, larry_swartz wrote:

        I'm new to the group, just joined and just built up a re-cycled Xtracyle on an old mountain bike. I had a problem that looks like it got addressed before, the losing of a Blinky Superflash while attached to the back of my rack. I'm probably going to bolt a "L" bracket and to the Snap Deck, and then the Planet Bike rack mount to that, hopefully I won't lose the next one. But my question is, has anybody tried to use the Reelights? It attaches to the rear dropout, and even though it will be far back into the bike, as a backup it should be fine. Just wondering about interference with the bags.

        Thanks
        Larry

      • gcisler
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 26, 2010
          Larry,

          I have some Reelights on my wife's bike, but it has bolted hubs (no quick release) and currently no rear rack. they're great for basic visibility and insanely convenient.

          as for putting them on an Xtracycle, i don't think you'd get much visibility from the rear due to the bags and such. you can find the single fronts on eBay sometimes, but I bolted the planet bike blinky to the vertical V-rack and it seems to work great!

          welcome to the group!

          geoff cisler
          boston, ma

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "larry_swartz" <larry_swartz@...> wrote:

          > I'm new to the group, just joined and just built up a re-cycled Xtracyle on an old mountain bike. I had a problem that looks like it got addressed before, the losing of a Blinky Superflash while attached to the back of my rack. I'm probably going to bolt a "L" bracket and to the Snap Deck, and then the Planet Bike rack mount to that, hopefully I won't lose the next one. But my question is, has anybody tried to use the Reelights? It attaches to the rear dropout, and even though it will be far back into the bike, as a backup it should be fine. Just wondering about interference with the bags.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Larry

        • fifteenwindow
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 26, 2010
            Hello Larry & group. I have freelights on my BD.

            http://www.freelights.co.uk/index.html

            There are 3 red LEDs in the rear, and 2 white LEDs up front. They are run off of a generator that mounts to a seat stay, and 2 magnets on the rear wheel spokes. I made a small gaurd out of thin plywood and cable ties to keep the generator from being pushed into the spokes by objects in the freeloader. The light system is designed for a standard length bike, so the wiring isn't long enough to get the whites lights up to the head tube where they belong. You could splice in a length of wire to make it reach the head tube. I mounted the white lights to the front bridge, below where the V rack slides in. They flash twice per wheel rotation, and the pattern varies based on which spokes you choose to mount the magnets to. There is no drag on the wheels.

            I have the standby version (Product code: SPL), but I run disc brakes and could not figure out a convenient way to make the standby work with these brakes (the standby switch uses a rear V brake to function). If I were to buy them again, I would get the standard version.

            These are lights to be seen by, not to see by. This system does not come close to the power you get out of a dynamo hub. Its a like a candle compared to a torch.

            I got the set for $20 delivered.

            I have had people ask about them, even during daytime rides, so I know they are visible.

            Take good care, Billy

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "larry_swartz" <larry_swartz@...> wrote:

            > I'm new to the group, just joined and just built up a re-cycled Xtracyle on an old mountain bike. I had a problem that looks like it got addressed before, the losing of a Blinky Superflash while attached to the back of my rack. I'm probably going to bolt a "L" bracket and to the Snap Deck, and then the Planet Bike rack mount to that, hopefully I won't lose the next one. But my question is, has anybody tried to use the Reelights? It attaches to the rear dropout, and even though it will be far back into the bike, as a backup it should be fine. Just wondering about interference with the bags.
            >
            > Thanks
            > Larry

          • jparks781
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 26, 2010
              I put Reelights on my son's 20"-wheeled bike and they work better than expected, even quite noticeable in daylight.

              However, I think Geoff is right about the visual interference to the rear unit from the Freeloader slings. But more importantly, I wouldn't risk having a load bump it into the spokes. I think there's not mechanical interference when the freeloader straps are pulled up tight, and the bracket is really stiff, but still I wouldn't risk it.

              But on a non-longtail I like the Reelight

              Joel (not in Australia!)

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "gcisler" <gcisler@...> wrote:

              > Larry,
              >
              > I have some Reelights on my wife's bike, but it has bolted hubs (no quick release) and currently no rear rack. they're great for basic visibility and insanely convenient.
              >
              > as for putting them on an Xtracycle, i don't think you'd get much visibility from the rear due to the bags and such. you can find the single fronts on eBay sometimes, but I bolted the planet bike blinky to the vertical V-rack and it seems to work great!
              >
              > welcome to the group!
              >
              > geoff cisler
              > boston, ma
              >
              > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "larry_swartz" <larry_swartz@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I'm new to the group, just joined and just built up a re-cycled Xtracyle on an old mountain bike. I had a problem that looks like it got addressed before, the losing of a Blinky Superflash while attached to the back of my rack. I'm probably going to bolt a "L" bracket and to the Snap Deck, and then the Planet Bike rack mount to that, hopefully I won't lose the next one. But my question is, has anybody tried to use the Reelights? It attaches to the rear dropout, and even though it will be far back into the bike, as a backup it should be fine. Just wondering about interference with the bags.
              > >
              > > Thanks
              > > Larry

            • larry_swartz
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 27, 2010
                Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have decided not to go with the Reelights for the Xtracycle, but might use them for something else. I don't really like the Knogs, they always seem to go through batteries. So my solution, is the "L" bracket for the Superflash, and a Cateye TL-LD1000, zip tied to the vertical part of the rack. I may try and supplement another light soon, as I'm going to "Erector Set" an extension of my rear fender onto the Xtracycle and cover it with red reflective tape. Hopefully pictures soon.

                Thanks again for all the help.

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "larry_swartz" <larry_swartz@...> wrote:

                > I'm new to the group, just joined and just built up a re-cycled Xtracyle on an old mountain bike. I had a problem that looks like it got addressed before, the losing of a Blinky Superflash while attached to the back of my rack. I'm probably going to bolt a "L" bracket and to the Snap Deck, and then the Planet Bike rack mount to that, hopefully I won't lose the next one. But my question is, has anybody tried to use the Reelights? It attaches to the rear dropout, and even though it will be far back into the bike, as a backup it should be fine. Just wondering about interference with the bags.
                >
                > Thanks
                > Larry

              • Travers, Neil
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 27, 2010
                  I thought you could get the posh reelights with cable to separate the
                  magnet and light (and I think capacitance), which would then enable you
                  to place the light out of the wheel area. Though at that point you may
                  want to go for full dynamo lights since they are no longer the cheap and
                  easy option.
                • coach4many
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 27, 2010
                    Larry,
                    I have a light (blinking type) attached to the velcro of my bag it stays really well. I also have a old head lamp zipped tied to my eco deck. Home depot had a set of 3 headlamps with both white and red lights together for only 9.00. I just removed the elastic head part and used the lights and attached to bike. You lose one you have others. But zip ties are the way to go.
                    Beth
                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "larry_swartz" <larry_swartz@...> wrote:

                    > I'm new to the group, just joined and just built up a re-cycled Xtracyle on an old mountain bike. I had a problem that looks like it got addressed before, the losing of a Blinky Superflash while attached to the back of my rack. I'm probably going to bolt a "L" bracket and to the Snap Deck, and then the Planet Bike rack mount to that, hopefully I won't lose the next one. But my question is, has anybody tried to use the Reelights? It attaches to the rear dropout, and even though it will be far back into the bike, as a backup it should be fine. Just wondering about interference with the bags.
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    > Larry

                  • Rick Pickett
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 27, 2010
                      check out http://www.bikebrightz.com, too

                      "The city needs a car like a fish needs a bicycle."  – Dean Kamen

                      graphic mechanic rick@...
                      888.537-1401 x709 | long live long bikes

                      On Jan 27, 2010, at 4:42 AM, larry_swartz wrote:

                      Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have decided not to go with the Reelights for the Xtracycle, but might use them for something else. I don't really like the Knogs, they always seem to go through batteries. So my solution, is the "L" bracket for the Superflash, and a Cateye TL-LD1000, zip tied to the vertical part of the rack. I may try and supplement another light soon, as I'm going to "Erector Set" an extension of my rear fender onto the Xtracycle and cover it with red reflective tape. Hopefully pictures soon.

                      Thanks again for all the help.

                      --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, "larry_swartz" <larry_swartz@ ...> wrote:

                      > I'm new to the group, just joined and just built up a re-cycled Xtracyle on an old mountain bike. I had a problem that looks like it got addressed before, the losing of a Blinky Superflash while attached to the back of my rack. I'm probably going to bolt a "L" bracket and to the Snap Deck, and then the Planet Bike rack mount to that, hopefully I won't lose the next one. But my question is, has anybody tried to use the Reelights? It attaches to the rear dropout, and even though it will be far back into the bike, as a backup it should be fine. Just wondering about interference with the bags.
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      > Larry

                    • joseph ford
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 27, 2010
                        anyone tried these yet? the price looks attractive.

                        "The city needs a car like a fish needs a bicycle."  – Dean Kamen

                        graphic mechanic rick@xtracycle. com
                        888.537-1401 x709 | long live long bikes

                        On Jan 27, 2010, at 4:42 AM, larry_swartz wrote:

                        Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have decided not to go with the Reelights for the Xtracycle, but might use them for something else. I don't really like the Knogs, they always seem to go through batteries. So my solution, is the "L" bracket for the Superflash, and a Cateye TL-LD1000, zip tied to the vertical part of the rack. I may try and supplement another light soon, as I'm going to "Erector Set" an extension of my rear fender onto the Xtracycle and cover it with red reflective tape. Hopefully pictures soon.

                        Thanks again for all the help.

                        --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, "larry_swartz" <larry_swartz@ ...> wrote:

                        > I'm new to the group, just joined and just built up a re-cycled Xtracyle on an old mountain bike. I had a problem that looks like it got addressed before, the losing of a Blinky Superflash while attached to the back of my rack. I'm probably going to bolt a "L" bracket and to the Snap Deck, and then the Planet Bike rack mount to that, hopefully I won't lose the next one. But my question is, has anybody tried to use the Reelights? It attaches to the rear dropout, and even though it will be far back into the bike, as a backup it should be fine. Just wondering about interference with the bags.
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        > Larry

                      • Rick Pickett
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 27, 2010
                          I'm going to write a review of mine this week... So far, so good. Only trying the green ones though.
                          =
                          "The bicycle is a curious vehicle.  Its passenger is its engine."  – John Howard

                          graphic wrangler | rick@...
                          888.537-1401 x709 | fully engage

                          On Jan 27, 2010, at 10:42 AM, joseph ford wrote:

                          anyone tried these yet? the price looks attractive.

                          "The city needs a car like a fish needs a bicycle."  – Dean Kamen

                          graphic mechanic rick@xtracycle. com
                          888.537-1401 x709 | long live long bikes

                          On Jan 27, 2010, at 4:42 AM, larry_swartz wrote:

                          Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have decided not to go with the Reelights for the Xtracycle, but might use them for something else. I don't really like the Knogs, they always seem to go through batteries. So my solution, is the "L" bracket for the Superflash, and a Cateye TL-LD1000, zip tied to the vertical part of the rack. I may try and supplement another light soon, as I'm going to "Erector Set" an extension of my rear fender onto the Xtracycle and cover it with red reflective tape. Hopefully pictures soon.

                          Thanks again for all the help.

                          --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, "larry_swartz" <larry_swartz@ ...> wrote:

                          > I'm new to the group, just joined and just built up a re-cycled Xtracyle on an old mountain bike. I had a problem that looks like it got addressed before, the losing of a Blinky Superflash while attached to the back of my rack. I'm probably going to bolt a "L" bracket and to the Snap Deck, and then the Planet Bike rack mount to that, hopefully I won't lose the next one. But my question is, has anybody tried to use the Reelights? It attaches to the rear dropout, and even though it will be far back into the bike, as a backup it should be fine. Just wondering about interference with the bags.
                          >
                          > Thanks
                          > Larry

                        • Devian Gilbert
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 27, 2010
                            I use a Cateye Uno
                            mounted to the stoker bar
                            facing rearward
                            using a mini MagLite red lens cover which fits perfect.
                            use reflective tape on the rear portions of the bike, VRacks and WideLoaders.

                            so whats the deal with this?

                            being that the Cateye Uno is actually a mini headlight, it takes 1 AA
                            it has a handle bar mount
                            being that its a handle bar that it mounted to
                            obviously the mount fits a handle bar
                            that is
                            its a headlight
                            that fits both, stoker bar and handlebar
                            if needed

                            I have it on the stoker bar
                            it simply slides off the bar mount, when needed
                            i.e. to thumb a lock, dig thru bags, etc...

                            this way
                            keeping true to tradition
                            why buy something that is specific?
                            anything you use on a bike tour
                            or you carry while backpacking
                            should at the minimum, serve dual duty

                            the Cateye Uno has quickly become one of my favorite lights
                            the price is cheap
                            and it fits in the vent of my helmet acting as a pseudo helmet lamp
                            yet not crazy bright, so that its actually a viable tasking light.

                            I started using this lamp for Double Centuries
                            and have carried it for numerous tours this year
                            Portland to Ventura
                            and plenty of Monterey to LA jaunts.

                            its light enough to rubber band to a tent pole
                            or hang from the interior of a shelter

                            it even has strobe

                            Cateye Uno

                            graphic wrangler | rick@xtracycle. com

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 29, 2010
                              I too use my stoker bar to mount my rear red blinky, a PlanetBike light.
                              However, I am mainly replying because I also agree with Devian about
                              dual-duty equipment. Many people go out and spend lots of money on fancy
                              headlights, but if you are touring and/or camping bottle-cage battery
                              packs, etc. are not so convenient.
                              What I use is a combination of a few lights, including mini-mag lights. I
                              bought these mag-light handle-bar mounts, which I actually use almost
                              like bar ends. This way I have two fixed min-mag headlights. Meanwhile on
                              my head I either use a typical head-band lamp or additional mini-mag
                              lights as well. I bought two adjustable elastic head-bands, which have a
                              short elastic sleeve along one side. The sleeve is just wide enough to
                              tightly fit a mini-mag light. The head bands are actually made for this
                              use and can usually be found in military surplus stores. In theory I
                              could have two fixed mini-mag head lights and two sight-directional
                              head-band mounted mini-mag lights.
                              This way when I get to a camp site I can easily remove the head-light
                              mini-mags to use around the camp. Usually I will just keep the
                              head-mounted mini-mags on my head, while one of the headlights are
                              available for anyone to use in hand (handlebars are a great place to
                              mount a light AND a roll of toilet paper!), Meanwhile the second mini-mag
                              headlight typically hangs by a lanyard from the ceiling of my tent
                              without its lens cap to act as a flood lamp.
                              There is also another light I have, which is totally waterproof and
                              designed to also act as a bike headlight. It has three bright LEDs and
                              runs off 3 AAAs. It also has a detachable quick-release lanyard and a
                              very nice handle bar mounting system with an adjustable latch. The mount
                              can stay on the bike while the light itself can be quick-released. It
                              also has several modes, which I think are solid on, bright(or fast)
                              blink, dim (or slow) blink, and Morse code SOS pattern. This light is
                              probably my favorite, but I do wish it used AA batteries so that I only
                              have to carry one size for all my lights. Fortunately the batteries
                              rarely need replacing due to the light being LED. It is pretty darn
                              bright and when not on the bike I usually just leave it hanging on the
                              lanyard around my neck.
                              As I said before, for the rear of my bike I use a red & white flashing
                              PlanetBike light. When using all of these lights in combination with my
                              blue dual-tube Down-Low-Glow It is hard not to see my surroundings
                              clearly as well as be easily spotted by anyone.
                              _TONE_
                            • Pete B
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 1, 2010
                                Or try Fibre Flares.

                                http://fibreflare.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=4
                                http://fibreflare.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6

                                I have a green one mounted on the BD's bottom tube (a-la the DLG's) and plan on two for the back (mounted on the v-racks)

                                'Newspapers are unable, seemingly, to discriminate between a bicycle accident and the collapse of civilization' : George Bernard Shaw
                                Sent from Melbourne, Vic, Australia

                                On 28 January 2010 05:42, joseph ford <tommydate@...> wrote:

                                anyone tried these yet? the price looks attractive.

                                "The city needs a car like a fish needs a bicycle."  – Dean Kamen

                                graphic mechanic rick@xtracycle. com
                                888.537-1401 x709 | long live long bikes

                                On Jan 27, 2010, at 4:42 AM, larry_swartz wrote:

                                Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have decided not to go with the Reelights for the Xtracycle, but might use them for something else. I don't really like the Knogs, they always seem to go through batteries. So my solution, is the "L" bracket for the Superflash, and a Cateye TL-LD1000, zip tied to the vertical part of the rack. I may try and supplement another light soon, as I'm going to "Erector Set" an extension of my rear fender onto the Xtracycle and cover it with red reflective tape. Hopefully pictures soon.

                                Thanks again for all the help.

                                --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, "larry_swartz" <larry_swartz@ ...> wrote:

                                > I'm new to the group, just joined and just built up a re-cycled Xtracyle on an old mountain bike. I had a problem that looks like it got addressed before, the losing of a Blinky Superflash while attached to the back of my rack. I'm probably going to bolt a "L" bracket and to the Snap Deck, and then the Planet Bike rack mount to that, hopefully I won't lose the next one. But my question is, has anybody tried to use the Reelights? It attaches to the rear dropout, and even though it will be far back into the bike, as a backup it should be fine. Just wondering about interference with the bags.
                                >
                                > Thanks
                                > Larry

                              • sh8knj8kster
                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 1, 2010
                                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "larry_swartz" <larry_swartz@...> wrote:

                                  > I'm new to the group, just joined and just built up a re-cycled Xtracyle on an old mountain bike. I had a problem that looks like it got addressed before, the losing of a Blinky Superflash while attached to the back of my rack. I'm probably going to bolt a "L" bracket and to the Snap Deck, and then the Planet Bike rack mount to that, hopefully I won't lose the next one. But my question is, has anybody tried to use the Reelights? It attaches to the rear dropout, and even though it will be far back into the bike, as a backup it should be fine. Just wondering about interference with the bags.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks
                                  > Larry

                                  ~~~Late to the party on this thread, thought i'd chime in none the less=:-)

                                  I have a pair of Reelights mounted on my SWB bent...some pics here-

                                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/26137108@N04/4134017438/

                                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/26137108@N04/4133248121/

                                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/26137108@N04/4133230623/

                                  I like the general idea of the Reelight concept but in practice, this is not a very bright light. It will however work w/o batteries. You don't even have to turn them on, just peddle away, but the light is not bright as it is a 2 LED light powered via magnets.

                                  And I doubt they would work very long on the rear of an X equipped bike. Loading the left free rad and you chance damaging the rear Reelight

                                  I went cheap and bought the set w/o the rear standlight. If I had it to all over I would get the standlight as when you are not pedalling, the light wont shine. Not good if you're stopped on the side of a public road at odark thirty, so if you buy a set of these for any of your bikes, get the standlight version

                                  IMO the Reelight is a good emergency light at night. Certainly worthy of a purchase but if you are after a bright daytime running light (friont or rear) look elsewhere

                                  Jake
                                  Reddick Fla.
                                  Good judgement comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.