Re: [rootsradicals] Touring

  • john stanec
    Message 1 of 14 , May 17, 2007
      I have to weigh in, here.

      I've been riding a Surly Karate Monkey with the XtraCycle attachement
      and 700c rims. As far as I'm concerned, the ride is great! The Karate
      Monkey is not a road bike, per se, but it's geometry can handle 700c
      wheels, which is the reason I bought it. I've got Velocity Synergy
      rims and SOMA Express tires (700x35c). I pump them up to about 70
      pounds and love the ride. So far, I've not had any problems with the
      wheels handling loads up to 150 pounds of cargo. I've also got front
      and rear Avid BB-7 disc brakes which stop on a dime. And, as long as
      loads are firmly secured, the ride doesn't get squirrely.

      Sure, it's not too easy to hop curbs with this rig, but who's hopping
      curbs with any Xtracycle setup?

      I spent a week touring Costa Rica with my rig and found it to be more
      than adequate. I'll probably get the Surly Big Dummy if it ever gets
      released, but for now, I'm very happy with my ride.

    • Ellen Stoune Duralia
      Message 2 of 14 , May 18, 2007
        Re: [rootsradicals] Touring Judging by the photos, you had a fantastic trip. And your dog looks like such a world traveler! Thanks for sharing :)

        On 5/17/07 4:04 PM, "murray" <murrayneill@...> wrote:

        Amy,
        My friend and I have just finished a tour around the South Island of New Zealand by xtra and I can tell you they make a great touring platform. I even carried my dog (a 7kg fox terrier) for the entire 39 day trip.
        I uploaded around 500 photos of the trip via my cellphone which you can view here...

        http://flickr.com/photos/84834610@N00/sets/72157600058035927/  <http://flickr.com/photos/84834610@N00/sets/72157600058035927/>

        The xtra's carry capacity and the fact that the weight is all kept low makes it an excellent choice for touring. Every other cycle tourist we met along the way, especailly the ones who had used trailers were blown away by the xtracycles.

        I'm not sure about the smaller wheels but if they do fit definately go with an xtracycle!

        Murray

        On 5/18/07, stakewebsis < orangewalk@... <mailto:orangewalk@...> > wrote:

        Hi xtracyclers. I am relatively new to the world of cycling, and I'm
        having trouble finding much info on the xtracycle outside of a local
        commuting context.

        I have a month long Canada > Mexico trip coming up fairly soon, and I
        own a Trek 1500 with 650 wheels. I'm trying to figure out if getting an
        xtracycle would be the way to make the journey--I'm hoping it would, but
        as I said, I just don't have enough info.

        Can anyone weigh in and let me know:

        Is it compatible with smaller (650) wheels?
        Is it advisable to set it up this way?

        My forum inquiries have not received responses, and it's getting time to
        make a decision.

        Thanks so much!
        Amy

      • davidmoskovitz
        Message 3 of 14 , May 18, 2007
          Ok, wheel size isn't such a big deal, but the Karate Monkey is basicly
          a straight gauge 4130 steel mt bike, and those wheels probably have at
          least 32 spokes each.

          I'll standby my initial statement: the Trek 1500 is not a particularly
          good choice for an xtracycle. Low spoke count wheels, 23-25 width
          tires, and an aluminum road frame generally don't make a good
          tourer/cargo-bike.--d
        • bfrog76
          Message 4 of 14 , May 19, 2007
            i'm curious what year your bike is(2006?). i assume it's xsmall
            (43cm).
            you should go talk to a local bike shop. the bike isn't really made
            for loaded touring, but you could rig up a rear rack(not
            recommended). i would discourage you from touring with the stock
            wheels as well. they're not made to take the extra weight and stress.

            >as far as setting up an xtracycle, you could make it work, but i
            wouldn't recommend it.
          • Amy Middleton
            Message 5 of 14 , May 21, 2007
              thank you to everyone for your advice and suggestions! i really appreciate it.
              i guess i didn't realize when i bought my bike that it might not be well-equipped for making such a trip. more decisions to make. thanks again for your encouragement and candor. if an xtracycle is not in my immediate future, it is at least on the horizon!

            • Gus
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 30, 2011
                I have been doing short tours, for eleven years, with a Cannondale bike built for touring. My Trextracycle was built on a trek 4500, a low end trail bike. The gearing is lower than my Cannondale. My question is has anyone toured with an "X" with off road gearing. This is strictly road work with no trails. I live near the Adirondack Mountains and am considering longer tours and more comfort on shorter trips. Any info will help. Thanks to a great community. I have been reading posts for some time and this is my first!
              • Punditus Maximus
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 30, 2011
                  In a general sense, touring is touring, and gearing for touring is what it is. Is there any reason why you couldn't transfer the x to your touring bike? That's the joy of the xtra, that you can keep riding the bike you already have and like.

                  Anyways, unless you're planning to use the xtra to carry a lot more stuff, the gearing you use for your regular tour should be the gearing you enjoy on the x.

                  -MK

                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Gus" <doggiecaveman@...> wrote:

                  > I have been doing short tours, for eleven years, with a Cannondale bike built for touring. My Trextracycle was built on a trek 4500, a low end trail bike. The gearing is lower than my Cannondale. My question is has anyone toured with an "X" with off road gearing. This is strictly road work with no trails. I live near the Adirondack Mountains and am considering longer tours and more comfort on shorter trips. Any info will help. Thanks to a great community. I have been reading posts for some time and this is my first!

                • Andrew Kreps
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 24, 2012
                    On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 06:29, Gus <doggiecaveman@...> wrote:
                    I have been doing short tours, for eleven years, with a Cannondale bike built for touring.  My Trextracycle was built on a trek 4500, a low end trail bike.  The gearing is lower than my Cannondale.  My question is has anyone toured with an "X" with off road gearing.  This is strictly road work with no trails.  I live near the Adirondack Mountains and am considering longer tours and more comfort on shorter trips.  Any info will help.  Thanks to a great community.  I have been reading posts for some time and this is my first!

                    I ride my Big Dummy with mountain gearing just about every day of the year.  I do about 98% on-road riding, with a fair amount of longertours in that mix.  That said, I run 22-32-44 up front and an 11-34 in the rear and I use every one of the gears.  The big one in the back is an occasional 15%+ hill gear, and if I hit a nice downhill I can crank the bike up over 40mph when desired.  I haven't considered road gearing for this weight of bike, even when I run it with 700c-23 tires front and back.