Re: Touring

  • davidmoskovitz
    Message 1 of 14 , May 17, 2007
      > a Trek 1500 with 650 wheels.

      ...is not a particularly good match for a xtracycle, ATMO. the 1500
      is a pretty stright foward road bike, yes?

      I have no experience with xtracycle'd road bikes, but several with a
      converted mtn bike. The additional stress on the frame and wheels,
      the wheels in particular, is too great. Even with a reguar mtn bike
      set up, the extended wheelbase makes it harder to move your weight
      around. On a regular bike, you can move back and "unweight" the
      front wheel as it goes over a bump, and then move foward
      and "unweight" the rear as it follows. Most people do this without
      thinking about it, we just learn to do it from experience. On the
      xtracycle, it's much harder, if not impossible to do this. As a
      consequence, I like to run big cushy tires, 26x2.5, both for
      comfort, and to protect the rims. On a road bike with std brakes,
      you'll be lucky to get a 700x28. And the rims are narrower/more
      fragile. Your wheels are 650c, right? (There are 650a and 650b
      too.) A typical 26" mountain bike wheel has a rim diameter 12mm
      smaller even than your 650c rims, and significantly wider. I guess
      with a big fat tire, the diameter would be larger than your road
      wheels.

      There was a discussion of xtracycling on the Kogswell yahoo group
      (search for "KOG") a little while back in which someone posted their
      displeasure with the ride of a 700c road bike-xtracycle, saying the
      handling was sketchy. I don't know if it has to do with the rim
      size, tire size, frame geometry, or something else. The discussion
      ended seemed to conclude that smaller wheels and wider tire are
      good, and that stout frames are important for carrying loads.

      I'd recommend a mtn bike with slicks, or a touring bike, before
      putting a xtracycle on your road bike.--David
    • kevin lyons
      Message 2 of 14 , May 17, 2007
        650c isn't the same as a 26" mountain bike tire it is
        more common on tri bikes don't think it will work too
        well

      • john stanec
        Message 3 of 14 , May 17, 2007
          I have to weigh in, here.

          I've been riding a Surly Karate Monkey with the XtraCycle attachement
          and 700c rims. As far as I'm concerned, the ride is great! The Karate
          Monkey is not a road bike, per se, but it's geometry can handle 700c
          wheels, which is the reason I bought it. I've got Velocity Synergy
          rims and SOMA Express tires (700x35c). I pump them up to about 70
          pounds and love the ride. So far, I've not had any problems with the
          wheels handling loads up to 150 pounds of cargo. I've also got front
          and rear Avid BB-7 disc brakes which stop on a dime. And, as long as
          loads are firmly secured, the ride doesn't get squirrely.

          Sure, it's not too easy to hop curbs with this rig, but who's hopping
          curbs with any Xtracycle setup?

          I spent a week touring Costa Rica with my rig and found it to be more
          than adequate. I'll probably get the Surly Big Dummy if it ever gets
          released, but for now, I'm very happy with my ride.

        • Ellen Stoune Duralia
          Message 4 of 14 , May 18, 2007
            Re: [rootsradicals] Touring Judging by the photos, you had a fantastic trip. And your dog looks like such a world traveler! Thanks for sharing :)

            On 5/17/07 4:04 PM, "murray" <murrayneill@...> wrote:

            Amy,
            My friend and I have just finished a tour around the South Island of New Zealand by xtra and I can tell you they make a great touring platform. I even carried my dog (a 7kg fox terrier) for the entire 39 day trip.
            I uploaded around 500 photos of the trip via my cellphone which you can view here...

            http://flickr.com/photos/84834610@N00/sets/72157600058035927/  <http://flickr.com/photos/84834610@N00/sets/72157600058035927/>

            The xtra's carry capacity and the fact that the weight is all kept low makes it an excellent choice for touring. Every other cycle tourist we met along the way, especailly the ones who had used trailers were blown away by the xtracycles.

            I'm not sure about the smaller wheels but if they do fit definately go with an xtracycle!

            Murray

            Message 5 of 14 , May 18, 2007
              Ok, wheel size isn't such a big deal, but the Karate Monkey is basicly
              a straight gauge 4130 steel mt bike, and those wheels probably have at
              least 32 spokes each.

              I'll standby my initial statement: the Trek 1500 is not a particularly
              good choice for an xtracycle. Low spoke count wheels, 23-25 width
              tires, and an aluminum road frame generally don't make a good
              tourer/cargo-bike.--d
            • bfrog76
              Message 6 of 14 , May 19, 2007
                i'm curious what year your bike is(2006?). i assume it's xsmall
                (43cm).
                you should go talk to a local bike shop. the bike isn't really made
                for loaded touring, but you could rig up a rear rack(not
                recommended). i would discourage you from touring with the stock
                wheels as well. they're not made to take the extra weight and stress.

                >as far as setting up an xtracycle, you could make it work, but i
                wouldn't recommend it.
              • Amy Middleton
                Message 7 of 14 , May 21, 2007
                  thank you to everyone for your advice and suggestions! i really appreciate it.
                  i guess i didn't realize when i bought my bike that it might not be well-equipped for making such a trip. more decisions to make. thanks again for your encouragement and candor. if an xtracycle is not in my immediate future, it is at least on the horizon!

                • Gus
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 30, 2011
                    I have been doing short tours, for eleven years, with a Cannondale bike built for touring. My Trextracycle was built on a trek 4500, a low end trail bike. The gearing is lower than my Cannondale. My question is has anyone toured with an "X" with off road gearing. This is strictly road work with no trails. I live near the Adirondack Mountains and am considering longer tours and more comfort on shorter trips. Any info will help. Thanks to a great community. I have been reading posts for some time and this is my first!
                  • Punditus Maximus
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 30, 2011
                      In a general sense, touring is touring, and gearing for touring is what it is. Is there any reason why you couldn't transfer the x to your touring bike? That's the joy of the xtra, that you can keep riding the bike you already have and like.

                      Anyways, unless you're planning to use the xtra to carry a lot more stuff, the gearing you use for your regular tour should be the gearing you enjoy on the x.

                      -MK

                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Gus" <doggiecaveman@...> wrote:

                      > I have been doing short tours, for eleven years, with a Cannondale bike built for touring. My Trextracycle was built on a trek 4500, a low end trail bike. The gearing is lower than my Cannondale. My question is has anyone toured with an "X" with off road gearing. This is strictly road work with no trails. I live near the Adirondack Mountains and am considering longer tours and more comfort on shorter trips. Any info will help. Thanks to a great community. I have been reading posts for some time and this is my first!

                    • Andrew Kreps
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 24, 2012
                        On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 06:29, Gus <doggiecaveman@...> wrote:
                        I have been doing short tours, for eleven years, with a Cannondale bike built for touring.  My Trextracycle was built on a trek 4500, a low end trail bike.  The gearing is lower than my Cannondale.  My question is has anyone toured with an "X" with off road gearing.  This is strictly road work with no trails.  I live near the Adirondack Mountains and am considering longer tours and more comfort on shorter trips.  Any info will help.  Thanks to a great community.  I have been reading posts for some time and this is my first!

                        I ride my Big Dummy with mountain gearing just about every day of the year.  I do about 98% on-road riding, with a fair amount of longertours in that mix.  That said, I run 22-32-44 up front and an 11-34 in the rear and I use every one of the gears.  The big one in the back is an occasional 15%+ hill gear, and if I hit a nice downhill I can crank the bike up over 40mph when desired.  I haven't considered road gearing for this weight of bike, even when I run it with 700c-23 tires front and back.