Re: [rootsradicals] Touring

  • Philip.X.Diaz
    Message 1 of 14 , May 17, 2007
      to my knowledge, 650c is the same as 26" wheels. The FreeRadical
      comes in a 26" size, and a 700c size, so you should get the 26" for
      your bike.

      mine is on a hybrid-style 26" Trek 7100. the wider tires are great
      for loads, but just >barely< clear the FreeRad frame. i don't know
      how well thin road tires, or the Trek 1500 itself, would work.
      perhaps someone else on the list can attest to their performance with
      the FreeRad and a load.

      the thought of a long bike tour/camping trip never sounded like
      something i was interested in doing until i had my FreeRadical and
      rode it with some heavy loads. a full grocery run for a family of
      four + my 18 month old daughter in her seat (atop a custom-made snap
      deck) definitely weighs more than a full camping/touring load for
      two! i've even done a couple cross-town trips with a friend (120 lbs)
      hitching a ride, just to see how it would handle.

      the stability and ease of maneuvering with a heavy load is amazing.
      it can get a little sketchy if you have to do a lot of stop-and-go,
      but as long as you're moving, it's easy. 50-60-70 lbs of camping gear
      would be a non-issue, (except for hills maybe!).

      i'm looking forward to getting a second Xtracycle-equipped bike
      (probably the Surly Big Dummy) and eventually doing some long touring/
      camping trips with my wife, possibly even with the little one if
      she'll sit still long enough.

      best of luck on your adventure.

      Philip Diaz
      Berkeley, CA

      On May 17, 2007, at 12:18 PM, stakewebsis wrote:

      > Hi xtracyclers. I am relatively new to the world of cycling, and I'm
      > having trouble finding much info on the xtracycle outside of a local
      > commuting context.
      >
      > I have a month long Canada > Mexico trip coming up fairly soon, and I
      > own a Trek 1500 with 650 wheels. I'm trying to figure out if
      > getting an
      > xtracycle would be the way to make the journey--I'm hoping it
      > would, but
      > as I said, I just don't have enough info.
      >
      > Can anyone weigh in and let me know:
      >
      > Is it compatible with smaller (650) wheels?
      > Is it advisable to set it up this way?
      >
      > My forum inquiries have not received responses, and it's getting
      > time to
      > make a decision.
      >
      > Thanks so much!
      > Amy
      >

      > You're getting this message because you signed up to be an
      > Xtracycle roots radical.

      > ride to believe.
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • davidmoskovitz
      Message 2 of 14 , May 17, 2007
        > a Trek 1500 with 650 wheels.

        ...is not a particularly good match for a xtracycle, ATMO. the 1500
        is a pretty stright foward road bike, yes?

        I have no experience with xtracycle'd road bikes, but several with a
        converted mtn bike. The additional stress on the frame and wheels,
        the wheels in particular, is too great. Even with a reguar mtn bike
        set up, the extended wheelbase makes it harder to move your weight
        around. On a regular bike, you can move back and "unweight" the
        front wheel as it goes over a bump, and then move foward
        and "unweight" the rear as it follows. Most people do this without
        thinking about it, we just learn to do it from experience. On the
        xtracycle, it's much harder, if not impossible to do this. As a
        consequence, I like to run big cushy tires, 26x2.5, both for
        comfort, and to protect the rims. On a road bike with std brakes,
        you'll be lucky to get a 700x28. And the rims are narrower/more
        fragile. Your wheels are 650c, right? (There are 650a and 650b
        too.) A typical 26" mountain bike wheel has a rim diameter 12mm
        smaller even than your 650c rims, and significantly wider. I guess
        with a big fat tire, the diameter would be larger than your road
        wheels.

        There was a discussion of xtracycling on the Kogswell yahoo group
        (search for "KOG") a little while back in which someone posted their
        displeasure with the ride of a 700c road bike-xtracycle, saying the
        handling was sketchy. I don't know if it has to do with the rim
        size, tire size, frame geometry, or something else. The discussion
        ended seemed to conclude that smaller wheels and wider tire are
        good, and that stout frames are important for carrying loads.

        I'd recommend a mtn bike with slicks, or a touring bike, before
        putting a xtracycle on your road bike.--David
      • kevin lyons
        Message 3 of 14 , May 17, 2007
          650c isn't the same as a 26" mountain bike tire it is
          more common on tri bikes don't think it will work too
          well

        • john stanec
          Message 4 of 14 , May 17, 2007
            I have to weigh in, here.

            I've been riding a Surly Karate Monkey with the XtraCycle attachement
            and 700c rims. As far as I'm concerned, the ride is great! The Karate
            Monkey is not a road bike, per se, but it's geometry can handle 700c
            wheels, which is the reason I bought it. I've got Velocity Synergy
            rims and SOMA Express tires (700x35c). I pump them up to about 70
            pounds and love the ride. So far, I've not had any problems with the
            wheels handling loads up to 150 pounds of cargo. I've also got front
            and rear Avid BB-7 disc brakes which stop on a dime. And, as long as
            loads are firmly secured, the ride doesn't get squirrely.

            Sure, it's not too easy to hop curbs with this rig, but who's hopping
            curbs with any Xtracycle setup?

            I spent a week touring Costa Rica with my rig and found it to be more
            than adequate. I'll probably get the Surly Big Dummy if it ever gets
            released, but for now, I'm very happy with my ride.

          • Ellen Stoune Duralia
            Message 5 of 14 , May 18, 2007
              Re: [rootsradicals] Touring Judging by the photos, you had a fantastic trip. And your dog looks like such a world traveler! Thanks for sharing :)

              On 5/17/07 4:04 PM, "murray" <murrayneill@...> wrote:

              Amy,
              My friend and I have just finished a tour around the South Island of New Zealand by xtra and I can tell you they make a great touring platform. I even carried my dog (a 7kg fox terrier) for the entire 39 day trip.
              I uploaded around 500 photos of the trip via my cellphone which you can view here...

              http://flickr.com/photos/84834610@N00/sets/72157600058035927/  <http://flickr.com/photos/84834610@N00/sets/72157600058035927/>

              The xtra's carry capacity and the fact that the weight is all kept low makes it an excellent choice for touring. Every other cycle tourist we met along the way, especailly the ones who had used trailers were blown away by the xtracycles.

              I'm not sure about the smaller wheels but if they do fit definately go with an xtracycle!

              Murray

              Message 6 of 14 , May 18, 2007
                Ok, wheel size isn't such a big deal, but the Karate Monkey is basicly
                a straight gauge 4130 steel mt bike, and those wheels probably have at
                least 32 spokes each.

                I'll standby my initial statement: the Trek 1500 is not a particularly
                good choice for an xtracycle. Low spoke count wheels, 23-25 width
                tires, and an aluminum road frame generally don't make a good
                tourer/cargo-bike.--d
              • bfrog76
                Message 7 of 14 , May 19, 2007
                  i'm curious what year your bike is(2006?). i assume it's xsmall
                  (43cm).
                  you should go talk to a local bike shop. the bike isn't really made
                  for loaded touring, but you could rig up a rear rack(not
                  recommended). i would discourage you from touring with the stock
                  wheels as well. they're not made to take the extra weight and stress.

                  >as far as setting up an xtracycle, you could make it work, but i
                  wouldn't recommend it.
                • Amy Middleton
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 21, 2007
                    thank you to everyone for your advice and suggestions! i really appreciate it.
                    i guess i didn't realize when i bought my bike that it might not be well-equipped for making such a trip. more decisions to make. thanks again for your encouragement and candor. if an xtracycle is not in my immediate future, it is at least on the horizon!

                  • Gus
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 30, 2011
                      I have been doing short tours, for eleven years, with a Cannondale bike built for touring. My Trextracycle was built on a trek 4500, a low end trail bike. The gearing is lower than my Cannondale. My question is has anyone toured with an "X" with off road gearing. This is strictly road work with no trails. I live near the Adirondack Mountains and am considering longer tours and more comfort on shorter trips. Any info will help. Thanks to a great community. I have been reading posts for some time and this is my first!
                    • Punditus Maximus
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 30, 2011
                        In a general sense, touring is touring, and gearing for touring is what it is. Is there any reason why you couldn't transfer the x to your touring bike? That's the joy of the xtra, that you can keep riding the bike you already have and like.

                        Anyways, unless you're planning to use the xtra to carry a lot more stuff, the gearing you use for your regular tour should be the gearing you enjoy on the x.

                        -MK

                        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Gus" <doggiecaveman@...> wrote:

                        > I have been doing short tours, for eleven years, with a Cannondale bike built for touring. My Trextracycle was built on a trek 4500, a low end trail bike. The gearing is lower than my Cannondale. My question is has anyone toured with an "X" with off road gearing. This is strictly road work with no trails. I live near the Adirondack Mountains and am considering longer tours and more comfort on shorter trips. Any info will help. Thanks to a great community. I have been reading posts for some time and this is my first!

                      • Andrew Kreps
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 24, 2012
                          On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 06:29, Gus <doggiecaveman@...> wrote:
                          I have been doing short tours, for eleven years, with a Cannondale bike built for touring.  My Trextracycle was built on a trek 4500, a low end trail bike.  The gearing is lower than my Cannondale.  My question is has anyone toured with an "X" with off road gearing.  This is strictly road work with no trails.  I live near the Adirondack Mountains and am considering longer tours and more comfort on shorter trips.  Any info will help.  Thanks to a great community.  I have been reading posts for some time and this is my first!

                          I ride my Big Dummy with mountain gearing just about every day of the year.  I do about 98% on-road riding, with a fair amount of longertours in that mix.  That said, I run 22-32-44 up front and an 11-34 in the rear and I use every one of the gears.  The big one in the back is an occasional 15%+ hill gear, and if I hit a nice downhill I can crank the bike up over 40mph when desired.  I haven't considered road gearing for this weight of bike, even when I run it with 700c-23 tires front and back.