Re: [rootsradicals] Touring

  • Philip.X.Diaz
    Message 1 of 14 , May 17, 2007
      to my knowledge, 650c is the same as 26" wheels. The FreeRadical
      comes in a 26" size, and a 700c size, so you should get the 26" for
      your bike.

      mine is on a hybrid-style 26" Trek 7100. the wider tires are great
      for loads, but just >barely< clear the FreeRad frame. i don't know
      how well thin road tires, or the Trek 1500 itself, would work.
      perhaps someone else on the list can attest to their performance with
      the FreeRad and a load.

      the thought of a long bike tour/camping trip never sounded like
      something i was interested in doing until i had my FreeRadical and
      rode it with some heavy loads. a full grocery run for a family of
      four + my 18 month old daughter in her seat (atop a custom-made snap
      deck) definitely weighs more than a full camping/touring load for
      two! i've even done a couple cross-town trips with a friend (120 lbs)
      hitching a ride, just to see how it would handle.

      the stability and ease of maneuvering with a heavy load is amazing.
      it can get a little sketchy if you have to do a lot of stop-and-go,
      but as long as you're moving, it's easy. 50-60-70 lbs of camping gear
      would be a non-issue, (except for hills maybe!).

      i'm looking forward to getting a second Xtracycle-equipped bike
      (probably the Surly Big Dummy) and eventually doing some long touring/
      camping trips with my wife, possibly even with the little one if
      she'll sit still long enough.

      best of luck on your adventure.

      Philip Diaz
      Berkeley, CA

      Message 2 of 14 , May 17, 2007
        On 2007-05-17, at 3:18 PM, stakewebsis wrote:
        > I have a month long Canada > Mexico trip coming up fairly soon, and I
        > own a Trek 1500 with 650 wheels. I'm trying to figure out if
        > getting an
        > xtracycle would be the way to make the journey--I'm hoping it
        > would, but
        > as I said, I just don't have enough info.
        >
        > Can anyone weigh in and let me know:
        >
        > Is it compatible with smaller (650) wheels?
        > Is it advisable to set it up this way?
        I got my info from the Trek website, and from Sheldon Brown
        (http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html)

        It might fit. 650c is ISO 571mm, which is smaller than 700c (622mm)
        and larger than 26-inch (559mm). The issues for you will be:

        (1) brake choice.

        The FreeRadical sizes differ in where they located their
        brake mounts, which are intended for V-brakes, perhaps also
        cantilevers. This might not work (yours is different) but
        if you got (a) the disk-brake kit and (b) an inline Travel
        Agent (to convert your road-brake pull into a disk-brake
        pull) that will work. You would need to also buy a
        disk-equipped rear wheel. Don't sweat the 650c vs 26"
        front-to-rear -- you can fix the diameter difference with
        a larger tire, and you'll just need to carry two spares.

        That problem is solvable, then.

        (2) is your frame too close-built?

        The FreeRadical attaches at the "kickstand plate" (you may
        not have one) and at the rear axle. This distance had
        better be long enough. You do not need a kickstand, you
        can use a pair of FAPs (Fat Aluminum Plate, I think it
        stands for).

        You may be ok here because you are 12mm bigger than a
        26 inch tire. You can measure this distance, someone
        on the list can measure their distance, post pictures, etc.

        (3) is your rear axle width correct? I thought road and MTB were
        different?

        This info is available online, I have not looked it up yet,
        your frame looks to be aluminum so this might be a show-stopper
        if it does not fit.

        Maybe someone else knows the answer to this one.

        David
      • davidmoskovitz
        Message 3 of 14 , May 17, 2007
          > a Trek 1500 with 650 wheels.

          ...is not a particularly good match for a xtracycle, ATMO. the 1500
          is a pretty stright foward road bike, yes?

          I have no experience with xtracycle'd road bikes, but several with a
          converted mtn bike. The additional stress on the frame and wheels,
          the wheels in particular, is too great. Even with a reguar mtn bike
          set up, the extended wheelbase makes it harder to move your weight
          around. On a regular bike, you can move back and "unweight" the
          front wheel as it goes over a bump, and then move foward
          and "unweight" the rear as it follows. Most people do this without
          thinking about it, we just learn to do it from experience. On the
          xtracycle, it's much harder, if not impossible to do this. As a
          consequence, I like to run big cushy tires, 26x2.5, both for
          comfort, and to protect the rims. On a road bike with std brakes,
          you'll be lucky to get a 700x28. And the rims are narrower/more
          fragile. Your wheels are 650c, right? (There are 650a and 650b
          too.) A typical 26" mountain bike wheel has a rim diameter 12mm
          smaller even than your 650c rims, and significantly wider. I guess
          with a big fat tire, the diameter would be larger than your road
          wheels.

          There was a discussion of xtracycling on the Kogswell yahoo group
          (search for "KOG") a little while back in which someone posted their
          displeasure with the ride of a 700c road bike-xtracycle, saying the
          handling was sketchy. I don't know if it has to do with the rim
          size, tire size, frame geometry, or something else. The discussion
          ended seemed to conclude that smaller wheels and wider tire are
          good, and that stout frames are important for carrying loads.

          I'd recommend a mtn bike with slicks, or a touring bike, before
          putting a xtracycle on your road bike.--David
        • kevin lyons
          Message 4 of 14 , May 17, 2007
            650c isn't the same as a 26" mountain bike tire it is
            more common on tri bikes don't think it will work too
            well

          • john stanec
            Message 5 of 14 , May 17, 2007
              I have to weigh in, here.

              I've been riding a Surly Karate Monkey with the XtraCycle attachement
              and 700c rims. As far as I'm concerned, the ride is great! The Karate
              Monkey is not a road bike, per se, but it's geometry can handle 700c
              wheels, which is the reason I bought it. I've got Velocity Synergy
              rims and SOMA Express tires (700x35c). I pump them up to about 70
              pounds and love the ride. So far, I've not had any problems with the
              wheels handling loads up to 150 pounds of cargo. I've also got front
              and rear Avid BB-7 disc brakes which stop on a dime. And, as long as
              loads are firmly secured, the ride doesn't get squirrely.

              Sure, it's not too easy to hop curbs with this rig, but who's hopping
              curbs with any Xtracycle setup?

              I spent a week touring Costa Rica with my rig and found it to be more
              than adequate. I'll probably get the Surly Big Dummy if it ever gets
              released, but for now, I'm very happy with my ride.

            • Ellen Stoune Duralia
              Message 6 of 14 , May 18, 2007
                Re: [rootsradicals] Touring Judging by the photos, you had a fantastic trip. And your dog looks like such a world traveler! Thanks for sharing :)

                On 5/17/07 4:04 PM, "murray" <murrayneill@...> wrote:

                Amy,
                My friend and I have just finished a tour around the South Island of New Zealand by xtra and I can tell you they make a great touring platform. I even carried my dog (a 7kg fox terrier) for the entire 39 day trip.
                I uploaded around 500 photos of the trip via my cellphone which you can view here...

                http://flickr.com/photos/84834610@N00/sets/72157600058035927/  <http://flickr.com/photos/84834610@N00/sets/72157600058035927/>

                The xtra's carry capacity and the fact that the weight is all kept low makes it an excellent choice for touring. Every other cycle tourist we met along the way, especailly the ones who had used trailers were blown away by the xtracycles.

                I'm not sure about the smaller wheels but if they do fit definately go with an xtracycle!

                Murray

                Message 7 of 14 , May 18, 2007
                  Ok, wheel size isn't such a big deal, but the Karate Monkey is basicly
                  a straight gauge 4130 steel mt bike, and those wheels probably have at
                  least 32 spokes each.

                  I'll standby my initial statement: the Trek 1500 is not a particularly
                  good choice for an xtracycle. Low spoke count wheels, 23-25 width
                  tires, and an aluminum road frame generally don't make a good
                  tourer/cargo-bike.--d
                • bfrog76
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 19, 2007
                    i'm curious what year your bike is(2006?). i assume it's xsmall
                    (43cm).
                    you should go talk to a local bike shop. the bike isn't really made
                    for loaded touring, but you could rig up a rear rack(not
                    recommended). i would discourage you from touring with the stock
                    wheels as well. they're not made to take the extra weight and stress.

                    >as far as setting up an xtracycle, you could make it work, but i
                    wouldn't recommend it.
                  • Amy Middleton
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 21, 2007
                      thank you to everyone for your advice and suggestions! i really appreciate it.
                      i guess i didn't realize when i bought my bike that it might not be well-equipped for making such a trip. more decisions to make. thanks again for your encouragement and candor. if an xtracycle is not in my immediate future, it is at least on the horizon!

                    • Gus
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 30, 2011
                        I have been doing short tours, for eleven years, with a Cannondale bike built for touring. My Trextracycle was built on a trek 4500, a low end trail bike. The gearing is lower than my Cannondale. My question is has anyone toured with an "X" with off road gearing. This is strictly road work with no trails. I live near the Adirondack Mountains and am considering longer tours and more comfort on shorter trips. Any info will help. Thanks to a great community. I have been reading posts for some time and this is my first!
                      • Punditus Maximus
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 30, 2011
                          In a general sense, touring is touring, and gearing for touring is what it is. Is there any reason why you couldn't transfer the x to your touring bike? That's the joy of the xtra, that you can keep riding the bike you already have and like.

                          Anyways, unless you're planning to use the xtra to carry a lot more stuff, the gearing you use for your regular tour should be the gearing you enjoy on the x.

                          -MK

                          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Gus" <doggiecaveman@...> wrote:

                          > I have been doing short tours, for eleven years, with a Cannondale bike built for touring. My Trextracycle was built on a trek 4500, a low end trail bike. The gearing is lower than my Cannondale. My question is has anyone toured with an "X" with off road gearing. This is strictly road work with no trails. I live near the Adirondack Mountains and am considering longer tours and more comfort on shorter trips. Any info will help. Thanks to a great community. I have been reading posts for some time and this is my first!

                        • Andrew Kreps
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 24, 2012
                            On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 06:29, Gus <doggiecaveman@...> wrote:
                            I have been doing short tours, for eleven years, with a Cannondale bike built for touring.  My Trextracycle was built on a trek 4500, a low end trail bike.  The gearing is lower than my Cannondale.  My question is has anyone toured with an "X" with off road gearing.  This is strictly road work with no trails.  I live near the Adirondack Mountains and am considering longer tours and more comfort on shorter trips.  Any info will help.  Thanks to a great community.  I have been reading posts for some time and this is my first!

                            I ride my Big Dummy with mountain gearing just about every day of the year.  I do about 98% on-road riding, with a fair amount of longertours in that mix.  That said, I run 22-32-44 up front and an 11-34 in the rear and I use every one of the gears.  The big one in the back is an occasional 15%+ hill gear, and if I hit a nice downhill I can crank the bike up over 40mph when desired.  I haven't considered road gearing for this weight of bike, even when I run it with 700c-23 tires front and back.