Touring

  • stakewebsis
    Message 1 of 14 , May 17, 2007
      Hi xtracyclers. I am relatively new to the world of cycling, and I'm
      having trouble finding much info on the xtracycle outside of a local
      commuting context.

      I have a month long Canada > Mexico trip coming up fairly soon, and I
      own a Trek 1500 with 650 wheels. I'm trying to figure out if getting an
      xtracycle would be the way to make the journey--I'm hoping it would, but
      as I said, I just don't have enough info.

      Can anyone weigh in and let me know:

      Is it compatible with smaller (650) wheels?
      Is it advisable to set it up this way?

      My forum inquiries have not received responses, and it's getting time to
      make a decision.

      Thanks so much!
      Amy
    • murray
      Message 2 of 14 , May 17, 2007
        Amy,
        My friend and I have just finished a tour around the South Island of New Zealand by xtra and I can tell you they make a great touring platform. I even carried my dog (a 7kg fox terrier) for the entire 39 day trip.
        I uploaded around 500 photos of the trip via my cellphone which you can view here...

        http://flickr.com/photos/84834610@N00/sets/72157600058035927/

        The xtra's carry capacity and the fact that the weight is all kept low makes it an excellent choice for touring. Every other cycle tourist we met along the way, especailly the ones who had used trailers were blown away by the xtracycles.

        I'm not sure about the smaller wheels but if they do fit definately go with an xtracycle!

        Murray

        On 5/18/07, stakewebsis < orangewalk@...> wrote:

        Hi xtracyclers. I am relatively new to the world of cycling, and I'm
        having trouble finding much info on the xtracycle outside of a local
        commuting context.

        I have a month long Canada > Mexico trip coming up fairly soon, and I
        own a Trek 1500 with 650 wheels. I'm trying to figure out if getting an
        xtracycle would be the way to make the journey--I'm hoping it would, but
        as I said, I just don't have enough info.

        Can anyone weigh in and let me know:

        Is it compatible with smaller (650) wheels?
        Is it advisable to set it up this way?

        My forum inquiries have not received responses, and it's getting time to
        make a decision.

        Thanks so much!
        Amy

      • Philip.X.Diaz
        Message 3 of 14 , May 17, 2007
          to my knowledge, 650c is the same as 26" wheels. The FreeRadical
          comes in a 26" size, and a 700c size, so you should get the 26" for
          your bike.

          mine is on a hybrid-style 26" Trek 7100. the wider tires are great
          for loads, but just >barely< clear the FreeRad frame. i don't know
          how well thin road tires, or the Trek 1500 itself, would work.
          perhaps someone else on the list can attest to their performance with
          the FreeRad and a load.

          the thought of a long bike tour/camping trip never sounded like
          something i was interested in doing until i had my FreeRadical and
          rode it with some heavy loads. a full grocery run for a family of
          four + my 18 month old daughter in her seat (atop a custom-made snap
          deck) definitely weighs more than a full camping/touring load for
          two! i've even done a couple cross-town trips with a friend (120 lbs)
          hitching a ride, just to see how it would handle.

          the stability and ease of maneuvering with a heavy load is amazing.
          it can get a little sketchy if you have to do a lot of stop-and-go,
          but as long as you're moving, it's easy. 50-60-70 lbs of camping gear
          would be a non-issue, (except for hills maybe!).

          i'm looking forward to getting a second Xtracycle-equipped bike
          (probably the Surly Big Dummy) and eventually doing some long touring/
          camping trips with my wife, possibly even with the little one if
          she'll sit still long enough.

          best of luck on your adventure.

          Philip Diaz
          Berkeley, CA

          Message 4 of 14 , May 17, 2007
            On 2007-05-17, at 3:18 PM, stakewebsis wrote:
            > I have a month long Canada > Mexico trip coming up fairly soon, and I
            > own a Trek 1500 with 650 wheels. I'm trying to figure out if
            > getting an
            > xtracycle would be the way to make the journey--I'm hoping it
            > would, but
            > as I said, I just don't have enough info.
            >
            > Can anyone weigh in and let me know:
            >
            > Is it compatible with smaller (650) wheels?
            > Is it advisable to set it up this way?
            I got my info from the Trek website, and from Sheldon Brown
            (http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html)

            It might fit. 650c is ISO 571mm, which is smaller than 700c (622mm)
            and larger than 26-inch (559mm). The issues for you will be:

            (1) brake choice.

            The FreeRadical sizes differ in where they located their
            brake mounts, which are intended for V-brakes, perhaps also
            cantilevers. This might not work (yours is different) but
            if you got (a) the disk-brake kit and (b) an inline Travel
            Agent (to convert your road-brake pull into a disk-brake
            pull) that will work. You would need to also buy a
            disk-equipped rear wheel. Don't sweat the 650c vs 26"
            front-to-rear -- you can fix the diameter difference with
            a larger tire, and you'll just need to carry two spares.

            That problem is solvable, then.

            (2) is your frame too close-built?

            The FreeRadical attaches at the "kickstand plate" (you may
            not have one) and at the rear axle. This distance had
            better be long enough. You do not need a kickstand, you
            can use a pair of FAPs (Fat Aluminum Plate, I think it
            stands for).

            You may be ok here because you are 12mm bigger than a
            26 inch tire. You can measure this distance, someone
            on the list can measure their distance, post pictures, etc.

            (3) is your rear axle width correct? I thought road and MTB were
            different?

            This info is available online, I have not looked it up yet,
            your frame looks to be aluminum so this might be a show-stopper
            if it does not fit.

            Maybe someone else knows the answer to this one.

            David
          • davidmoskovitz
            Message 5 of 14 , May 17, 2007
              > a Trek 1500 with 650 wheels.

              ...is not a particularly good match for a xtracycle, ATMO. the 1500
              is a pretty stright foward road bike, yes?

              I have no experience with xtracycle'd road bikes, but several with a
              converted mtn bike. The additional stress on the frame and wheels,
              the wheels in particular, is too great. Even with a reguar mtn bike
              set up, the extended wheelbase makes it harder to move your weight
              around. On a regular bike, you can move back and "unweight" the
              front wheel as it goes over a bump, and then move foward
              and "unweight" the rear as it follows. Most people do this without
              thinking about it, we just learn to do it from experience. On the
              xtracycle, it's much harder, if not impossible to do this. As a
              consequence, I like to run big cushy tires, 26x2.5, both for
              comfort, and to protect the rims. On a road bike with std brakes,
              you'll be lucky to get a 700x28. And the rims are narrower/more
              fragile. Your wheels are 650c, right? (There are 650a and 650b
              too.) A typical 26" mountain bike wheel has a rim diameter 12mm
              smaller even than your 650c rims, and significantly wider. I guess
              with a big fat tire, the diameter would be larger than your road
              wheels.

              There was a discussion of xtracycling on the Kogswell yahoo group
              (search for "KOG") a little while back in which someone posted their
              displeasure with the ride of a 700c road bike-xtracycle, saying the
              handling was sketchy. I don't know if it has to do with the rim
              size, tire size, frame geometry, or something else. The discussion
              ended seemed to conclude that smaller wheels and wider tire are
              good, and that stout frames are important for carrying loads.

              I'd recommend a mtn bike with slicks, or a touring bike, before
              putting a xtracycle on your road bike.--David
            • kevin lyons
              Message 6 of 14 , May 17, 2007
                650c isn't the same as a 26" mountain bike tire it is
                more common on tri bikes don't think it will work too
                well

              • john stanec
                Message 7 of 14 , May 17, 2007
                  I have to weigh in, here.

                  I've been riding a Surly Karate Monkey with the XtraCycle attachement
                  and 700c rims. As far as I'm concerned, the ride is great! The Karate
                  Monkey is not a road bike, per se, but it's geometry can handle 700c
                  wheels, which is the reason I bought it. I've got Velocity Synergy
                  rims and SOMA Express tires (700x35c). I pump them up to about 70
                  pounds and love the ride. So far, I've not had any problems with the
                  wheels handling loads up to 150 pounds of cargo. I've also got front
                  and rear Avid BB-7 disc brakes which stop on a dime. And, as long as
                  loads are firmly secured, the ride doesn't get squirrely.

                  Sure, it's not too easy to hop curbs with this rig, but who's hopping
                  curbs with any Xtracycle setup?

                  I spent a week touring Costa Rica with my rig and found it to be more
                  than adequate. I'll probably get the Surly Big Dummy if it ever gets
                  released, but for now, I'm very happy with my ride.

                • Ellen Stoune Duralia
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 18, 2007
                    Re: [rootsradicals] Touring Judging by the photos, you had a fantastic trip. And your dog looks like such a world traveler! Thanks for sharing :)

                    http://flickr.com/photos/84834610@N00/sets/72157600058035927/  <http://flickr.com/photos/84834610@N00/sets/72157600058035927/>

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 18, 2007
                      Ok, wheel size isn't such a big deal, but the Karate Monkey is basicly
                      a straight gauge 4130 steel mt bike, and those wheels probably have at
                      least 32 spokes each.

                      I'll standby my initial statement: the Trek 1500 is not a particularly
                      good choice for an xtracycle. Low spoke count wheels, 23-25 width
                      tires, and an aluminum road frame generally don't make a good
                      tourer/cargo-bike.--d
                    • bfrog76
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 19, 2007
                        i'm curious what year your bike is(2006?). i assume it's xsmall
                        (43cm).
                        you should go talk to a local bike shop. the bike isn't really made
                        for loaded touring, but you could rig up a rear rack(not
                        recommended). i would discourage you from touring with the stock
                        wheels as well. they're not made to take the extra weight and stress.

                        >as far as setting up an xtracycle, you could make it work, but i
                        wouldn't recommend it.
                      • Amy Middleton
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 21, 2007
                          thank you to everyone for your advice and suggestions! i really appreciate it.
                          i guess i didn't realize when i bought my bike that it might not be well-equipped for making such a trip. more decisions to make. thanks again for your encouragement and candor. if an xtracycle is not in my immediate future, it is at least on the horizon!

                        • Gus
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 30, 2011
                            I have been doing short tours, for eleven years, with a Cannondale bike built for touring. My Trextracycle was built on a trek 4500, a low end trail bike. The gearing is lower than my Cannondale. My question is has anyone toured with an "X" with off road gearing. This is strictly road work with no trails. I live near the Adirondack Mountains and am considering longer tours and more comfort on shorter trips. Any info will help. Thanks to a great community. I have been reading posts for some time and this is my first!
                          • Punditus Maximus
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 30, 2011
                              In a general sense, touring is touring, and gearing for touring is what it is. Is there any reason why you couldn't transfer the x to your touring bike? That's the joy of the xtra, that you can keep riding the bike you already have and like.

                              Anyways, unless you're planning to use the xtra to carry a lot more stuff, the gearing you use for your regular tour should be the gearing you enjoy on the x.

                              -MK

                              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Gus" <doggiecaveman@...> wrote:

                              > I have been doing short tours, for eleven years, with a Cannondale bike built for touring. My Trextracycle was built on a trek 4500, a low end trail bike. The gearing is lower than my Cannondale. My question is has anyone toured with an "X" with off road gearing. This is strictly road work with no trails. I live near the Adirondack Mountains and am considering longer tours and more comfort on shorter trips. Any info will help. Thanks to a great community. I have been reading posts for some time and this is my first!

                            • Andrew Kreps
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 24, 2012
                                On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 06:29, Gus <doggiecaveman@...> wrote:
                                I have been doing short tours, for eleven years, with a Cannondale bike built for touring.  My Trextracycle was built on a trek 4500, a low end trail bike.  The gearing is lower than my Cannondale.  My question is has anyone toured with an "X" with off road gearing.  This is strictly road work with no trails.  I live near the Adirondack Mountains and am considering longer tours and more comfort on shorter trips.  Any info will help.  Thanks to a great community.  I have been reading posts for some time and this is my first!

                                I ride my Big Dummy with mountain gearing just about every day of the year.  I do about 98% on-road riding, with a fair amount of longertours in that mix.  That said, I run 22-32-44 up front and an 11-34 in the rear and I use every one of the gears.  The big one in the back is an occasional 15%+ hill gear, and if I hit a nice downhill I can crank the bike up over 40mph when desired.  I haven't considered road gearing for this weight of bike, even when I run it with 700c-23 tires front and back.