Re: [rootsradicals] Re-introduction

  • Cheikh Dieng
    Message 1 of 10 , May 17, 2007
      Hi Gerry,
      Hi Paula,

      I am up in New Hampshire with one of these on a Diamond Back and as after more than a year of riding around on one of these contraptions, I have never seen or heard of another one.
      I do get a lot of stares though and people gather around it everywhere I park. I hear often: "What the hell kind of a bike is that?"
      My teenage kids think I'm geek, look the other way and pretend they don't know me when I see them in town. :)
      I own several other bikes but find myself on this one more than all the others. I can honestly say that I have become stronger, physically and mentally from using my extracycle.
      Welcome Paula. You're gonna have a ball, get fit, save money, save the environment......the list goes on.

      TheJonesgal@... wrote:
      Hi Paula! I hope you and Annabelle enjoy your xtracycle. I love finding other women who like to bike. My name is Gerry but I'm a "she". I've had mine on a 7-speed Raleigh for about 2.5 years now. I live South of Seattle in Federal Way and I'm the only xtra in town (that I've seen) I imagined everyone would run out and get one when they saw me biking along with my guitar on board! I guess not. Maybe looking like the 52 year old red faced, sweating, heavy breathing biker that I am just wasn't attractive enough to sell anyone :)
      I do enjoy it though!

      I also have the DLG - mine is blue!

      Happy xtracycling!
      Gerry in Federal Way, WA

      Message 2 of 10 , May 17, 2007
        so i'll chime in
        its been over 2.5yrs with out a car
        and since i've been able to save about 2/3'rds my take home pay.
        Xtracycles are great
        i love mine
        jst yesterday i carried a bike rack to a friends place to set up for her
        you know...the type that expands between the floor and ceiling.
        along with a pump, some tools, and a quick stop for some munchies.

        peace...d

        Message 3 of 10 , May 17, 2007
          In many ways, my xtracycle does stop traffic and turn heads. College
          age girls on motorbike comment on it. Little kids ask their parents
          about it. The people who tend to eye it the most are, unfortunately,
          the ones least likely to be able to afford or get one. They are the
          people in Taiwan that sweep streets or collect things for recycling.
          They are usually pushing a bike or trike or truck-like trike that is so
          overloaded with cardboard and plastic bottles there's no room to sit and
          peddle. Others are hauling recyclables in dollies wired to their 50cc
          motorbikes (i.e. the cheap home-built trailer).

          In Taiwan, the division is clear: work bikes for those in poverty,
          single-speed 'girls' bikes for retirees and house-wife grocery shoppers,
          mountain bikes for commuting high school students counting the hours
          until they can have a motorbike license (age 18), and high-class carbon
          fiber road bikes for white-collar males attired in all the logo-labeled
          fashion biking wear. Other than the high school kids, biker-commuters
          are quite rare. They may be on a slight increase though.

          The recent best case, though, was when I biked my just assembled Surly
          Instigator-Xtracycle-Stokemonkey to the travel agent. A guy came by and
          spent the next half hour telling me he wanted one just like it, how it
          would be perfect for touring Japan. The next day, he called my husband.
          Yesterday, he came by for a visit. When he saw that bike, he knew it
          was just what a bike was supposed to be! Well, I certainly think so.
          That's the way I felt when I first saw pictures of the Xtracycle.

          The local Giant distributor doesn't think the Stokemonkey will sell well
          because it has no freewheel on the crank. He may be right, all the
          people I see on electric bicycles are sitting, not peddling. In Taiwan,
          unfortunately, there is still a pretty strong feeling that manual labor
          is for the poor and uneducated and Lance Armstrong imitators.

          CL

          davidmoskovitz wrote:
          >> I imagined everyone would run out and get one when they saw me
          >> biking along with my guitar on board! I guess not.
          >
          > That's exactly what happened to me. I had the biggest shit-eating grin
          > on my face when I got SUB'd, and thought everyone was going to stop and
          > stare, drop their packages, spill their coffee.
          >
          > Nope. No one noticed anything different, except me, who could carry an
          > extra 200 pounds around. I was almost heart-broken. I'm seriously
          > contemplating getting the RockTheBike amplifier and a decent bass
          > tube.
          >
          > It is different when you have a passenger. That often gets a nod.
        • Todd Fahrner
          Message 4 of 10 , May 17, 2007
            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote:

            > The local Giant distributor doesn't think the Stokemonkey will sell well
            > because it has no freewheel on the crank. He may be right, all the
            > people I see on electric bicycles are sitting, not peddling. In Taiwan,
            > unfortunately, there is still a pretty strong feeling that manual labor
            > is for the poor and uneducated and Lance Armstrong imitators.

            I'm not surprised, yet. It's not much different here, really, among the lower classes. Biking is
            not cool among the poor -- the classes that could benefit most from learning to multiply
            their power with bike technology instead of buying and fueling inhumanly heavy vehicles.
            Your kung fu is strong, Cara.
          • Cara Lin Bridgman
            Message 5 of 10 , May 17, 2007
              Every semester in the first day of my Environmental Science class, I ask
              my students how they want to get to work after they graduate: walk,
              bike, bus, motorbike, car? Motorbike and car always tie for first place
              by a very very wide margin. Each semester 1-2 out of 20-30 says bike or
              bus. Each semester I point out that they are in a sports school (a
              school that produces some of Taiwan's Olympic winners) and they're not
              planning on exercising on their way to work? Some students actually
              look thoughtful after I've made that comment.

              Part of the reason why I bike is because I can't lecture on peak oil and
              global warming and all the other myriad environmental problems without
              trying to practice what I preach. This semester, in my Human Ecology
              class, we spent a few days looking into the effects cars have on
              communities, economics, and health--looking at the total costs. I could
              be driving, like most of the teachers in the school. My first year, I
              rode a motorbike.

              Now I ride the bike. Although I sometimes feel a little bit like it's
              cheating, I really appreciate the addition of the Stokemonkey. It
              ensures I can get home without heat exhaustion--an unbelievably huge
              plus. Yesterday, on the way to school, the bottom fell out of the sky.
              It was the most enormous downpour. The Stokemonkey, which I usually
              do not use on the way to school, helped ensure I arrived school damp,
              not dripping, from sweat inside my rain gear. I have one of those bike
              capes, but the way cars kick up splash, only a submarine is the complete
              solution. Yesterday, I was inside a cagoule-like thing with hood that
              everyone uses with their motorbikes. It was like being enclosed in
              saran wrap.

              CL

              Todd Fahrner wrote:
              > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote:
              >
              >> The local Giant distributor doesn't think the Stokemonkey will sell well
              >> because it has no freewheel on the crank. He may be right, all the
              >> people I see on electric bicycles are sitting, not peddling. In Taiwan,
              >> unfortunately, there is still a pretty strong feeling that manual labor
              >> is for the poor and uneducated and Lance Armstrong imitators.
              >
              > I'm not surprised, yet. It's not much different here, really, among the lower classes. Biking is
              > not cool among the poor -- the classes that could benefit most from learning to multiply
              > their power with bike technology instead of buying and fueling inhumanly heavy vehicles.
              > Your kung fu is strong, Cara.
            • Rainbow Flight
              Message 6 of 10 , May 18, 2007
                Hey Cara
                I'm impressed! Thanks for sharing your story.
                I set up ASPO-Nelson and helped set up ASPO-NZ (www.aspo.org.nz) and am honoured to hear your story of walking your talk. I'm waiting with anticipation for my Stokemonkey to arrive, looking to increase my Xtracycle use significantly, going as car light as possible.
                With oil at US$70 a barrel this morning, things are looking more interesting, huh??!!
                I really want one of the bumper stickers on "The SUB that Ate Detroit"(http://home.comcast.net/~manewal1/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html)
                at http://home.comcast.net/~manewal1/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-2845842.html .....I never saw a bumper stick with such clarity as this one before....

                Regards
                Ted