Re: Bikes for girls?

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 12, 2006
      Believe it or not, I just saw your blog before I cam here - I found
      it googling "Quaker Dress" since our college is doing "Black History
      LIve" and they weren't quite ready for me to be Sojourner Truth, so
      I'm going to be the Quaker lady who took her in. (I will give clues
      and the students will guess who I'm talking about.) I'm not going to
      have to work too hard on the costume :-)

      THe complete bikes look like pretty good bikes (it's not a brand I'm
      familiar with though). I really like my Trek 7500 FX which is really
      only a hybrid on the handlebars (and the big tires I didn't get - I
      opted for 25 cm tires) - don't know how it would handle mudflaps &
      chain guard. Trek also has some all-out "commuting" bikes, too ...
      though it seems I can't find as many as there were last year - talk
      about a marketing error! (http://www.commuterbicycle.com/ had a link
      to one that had a protected chain... but it doesn't seem to be
      accessible from this year's site... but that may mean you could get it
      cheaply). I know my bike shop guy would love the challenge of
      making a workable bike like that. Illinois is a little out of the
      way, though.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Paula McConnell
      <paulamcconnellbks@...> wrote:

      > Hi Susan!
      >
      > Thanks for thinking of me! I have decided to sell my bike and buy
      an xtracycle but I still don't know if that means finding a decent
      bike and ordering the kit or ordering a whole longbike. I'm moving
      into a city this coming August and want the bike to replace my car but
      for this to really work I'm going to need to wear my regular clothes
      as much as possible. I don't want some wimpy cruiser or hybrid, I
      was a serious cyclist and still want a serious bike...but with a chain
      guard and mud-flaps...you see my dilemma...

      > Keep sending me reports on how you like your new new xtracycle.
      It'll help me convince my hubby that selling my brand-new road bike
      for one of these is not so crazy!

      > And if you are really curious on what I wear...check out my blog.
      I have pictures!

      > Peace,
      > Paula
      > www.leadingorled.blogspot.com
      >
      > Susan <maps@...> wrote: I couldn't help but notice that the
      chainguard on my Schwinn looks
      > like it would work just fine even if there were an extra mess of chain
      > attached to it. So unless your skirts are really full (I think - I'm
      > not good at picturing things!) I think any regular chain guard could
      > still work.
      >
      > I am really liking my bike now. I was having second thoughts on
      > spending that much money but now that it has happened, I really have
      > taken the bike places already that I'd have hopped into the car for,
      > because I wasn't going to have to figure out how to manage that dish
      > of food. THey're also just plain bigger than they look in the
      > pictures - about time and a half what I had imagined (but then, I
      > don't imagine sizes well...)
      >

      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "paulamcconnellbks"
      > <paulamcconnellbks@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey radicals,
      > >
      > > Loved the bit in the grist, I'm seriously looking into trading in my
      > > roadbike for one of these. Got a question however...I'm a person of
      > > faith who wears dresses everyday. (Trust me - that can be quite
      > > radical too) What can you do for a chain guard so that my calico
      > > dresses don't get covered in grease?
      > >
      > > Living simply,
      > > Paula
      > >

      > You're getting this message because you signed up to be an
      Xtracycle roots radical.

      > ride to believe.

      > Konjac root
      Roots blower
      Ginseng root
      Root canal
      Root canal therapy
      Burdock root

      Service.

    • TheJonesgal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 12, 2006
        I have a Raleigh "girl bike" It's only a 7-speed cruiser but I do love it. My commute is only 3 miles each way and I had a very limited budget when I got it and the xtracycle at the same time.
        Without riding during the rainy month of January, and now riding again, the hills are pretty difficult and I found myself daydreaming about something easier to get up the hills as I was feeling ready to keel over yesterday! I know I'll get back in shape soon though.

        Gerry
      • fahrner@pobox.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 12, 2006
          > I have a Raleigh "girl bike" It's only a 7-speed cruiser but I do love it.
          > My commute is only 3 miles each way and I had a very limited budget when I
          > got
          > it and the xtracycle at the same time.
          > Without riding during the rainy month of January, and now riding again,
          > the
          > hills are pretty difficult and I found myself daydreaming about something
          > easier to get up the hills as I was feeling ready to keel over yesterday!

          You've gotten at the issue with chain guards: they're pretty easy to get
          (or put) on bikes that don't have a lot of gears. Lots of gears generally
          mean multiple front chainrings, and the more effective kinds of
          chainguards don't get along with front derailleurs. If you don't need to
          climb steep hills with cargo, there are plenty of bikes that would
          accommodate calico-skirted riding. Kipchoge rides an Electra Townie at
          least some of the time: I'd provide a direct link if Electra's site
          weren't done in link-hostile Flash (sigh). Some Townies come with
          few-enough gears to come also with chainguards.

          Would it be acceptable to wear leg coverings under the dress and hitch the
          dress up enough while riding to keep it clean? Something like bloomers:
          http://www.jolique.com/undergarments/bloomers%20_and_bicycles.htm
        • Andrew Janjigian
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 13, 2006
            The one thing to keep in mind about cruisers or other hub-geared bikes with a Freeradical mounted on them is that the extra load can do in a hub gear fairly quickly, in my experience. I had my first build on a Bianchi Milano, and it turned crunchy within the first year. I could have been a fluke, but I'm pretty sure I've heard similar stories from others.

            And hub gears are more expensive and more hassle to replace than derailleurs when they do go.

            My 2¢,
            Andrew

            On Feb 12, 2006, at 10:34 PM, fahrner@... wrote:

            > I have a Raleigh "girl bike" It's only a 7-speed cruiser but I do love it.
            > My commute is only 3 miles each way and I had a very limited budget when I
            > got
            > it and the xtracycle at the same time.
            > Without riding during the rainy month of January, and now riding again,
            > the
            > hills are pretty difficult and I found myself daydreaming about something
            > easier  to get up the hills as I was feeling ready to keel over yesterday!

            You've gotten at the issue with chain guards: they're pretty easy to get
            (or put) on bikes that don't have a lot of gears. Lots of gears generally
            mean multiple front chainrings, and the more effective kinds of
            chainguards don't get along with front derailleurs. If you don't need to
            climb steep hills with cargo, there are plenty of bikes that would
            accommodate calico-skirted riding. Kipchoge rides an Electra Townie at
            least some of the time: I'd provide a direct link if Electra's site
            weren't done in link-hostile Flash (sigh). Some Townies come with
            few-enough gears to come also with chainguards.

            Would it be acceptable to wear leg coverings under the dress and hitch the
            dress up enough while riding to keep it clean? Something like bloomers:
            http://www.jolique.com/undergarments/bloomers%20_and_bicycles.htm

            ride to believe.

            Konjac root Roots blower Ginseng root
            Root canal Root canal therapy Burdock root

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS