Re: cat + xtracycle?

  • epersonae2
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 7, 2010
      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...> wrote:
      > I use a wide-loader on the curb side. Since the cats have a long reach,
      > I keep the cats from shredding the freeloaders with bits of plywood
      > under the cat box and between the box and the free-loaders. I tie the
      > cat box on with a strap running from the bottom of the free-radical
      > around the cat box, through the carrying handle and over the snap-deck.
      > I almost always have the cat box facing to the back, with the idea
      > that the cats don't need the wind and I don't need any more scratches on
      > my ankles.

      Thanks! This looks like the most likely option (hey, finally a use for that wideloader!) since it sounds less tippy than using the Snapdeck.

      When kitty goes back for his booster, I might just give it a try.
    • Mark Garvey
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 7, 2010
        Actually, I think the wideloaders MAKE the Xtracycle the extremely versatile unit that it is.  They support and carry the load and keep the CG down low.

        THAT is of course simply MY opinion.  But I can't see NOT using them.  They are very very useful!

        On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 11:20 AM, epersonae2 <epersonae@...> wrote:
        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...> wrote:
        > I use a wide-loader on the curb side.  Since the cats have a long reach,
        > I keep the cats from shredding the freeloaders with bits of plywood
        > under the cat box and between the box and the free-loaders.  I tie the
        > cat box on with a strap running from the bottom of the free-radical
        > around the cat box, through the carrying handle and over the snap-deck.
        >     I almost always have the cat box facing to the back, with the idea
        > that the cats don't need the wind and I don't need any more scratches on
        > my ankles.

        Thanks! This looks like the most likely option (hey, finally a use for that wideloader!) since it sounds less tippy than using the Snapdeck.

        When kitty goes back for his booster, I might just give it a try.

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        --
        Family FUN!.....with a twist!

        Papa Balloon
      • Miguel Barroso
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 7, 2010
          Hi there.

          I need to buy a lock for my bike.

          I was planning on buying the Kryptonite Evolution Mini for the frame, with a cable extension for the wheels, but I guess the 4 feet cable from Kryptonite hasn't enough lenght for the Xtracyle, so I need something longer.

          What do you use with your Xtra? And does anyone has any experience with the Evo Mini? I want something robust, but the New York series from Kryptonite, are way too heavy!

          cheers,
          Miguel Barroso
        • Liz W. Durham
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 7, 2010

            I use a heavy lock but I figure since I am on a heavy bike, hauling things that make it even heavier, what’s a couple more pounds? My lock is the Bulldog 5001 Brute STD. I have a 7 ft. cable that I also use.

            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 7, 2010
              Elaine,

              My kitty actually enjoys her rides on the X. We sometimes make a little jaunt just for the fun of it. You can see her in the picture I've posted in the "Cat on X" album. I'll admit my second cat is not at all happy on the bike, but I don't think it's any worse for her than a car trip. Do give it a try and you may discover she likes it.

              Judi

              link to the picture (if it works):
            • Rick Pickett
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 7, 2010
                I'd suggest getting Pit Locks or Pinhead locking skewers for your wheels. I've got Pinheads on my Big Dummy and it allows me to lock up any part of the bike to the immovable object. I also have the locking headset cap too from them.

                "The city needs a car like a fish needs a bicycle."  – Dean Kamen

                graphic mechanic rick@...
                888.537-1401 x709 | long live long bikes

                On Jan 7, 2010, at 10:18 AM, Miguel Barroso wrote:

                Hi there.

                I need to buy a lock for my bike.

                I was planning on buying the Kryptonite Evolution Mini for the frame, with a cable extension for the wheels, but I guess the 4 feet cable from Kryptonite hasn't enough lenght for the Xtracyle, so I need something longer.

                What do you use with your Xtra? And does anyone has any experience with the Evo Mini? I want something robust, but the New York series from Kryptonite, are way too heavy!

                cheers,
                Miguel Barroso

              • coach4many
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 7, 2010
                  Miguel,
                  where do you live? That you need so much lock?
                  I use just a regular cable and padlock. I am lucky though I live in a small town.
                  I dislike the krytonite due to the fact that you cannot lock up to anything that is not the right shape and we do not have bars for locking up around here mainly trees and such.
                  Beth
                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Miguel Barroso" <miguelbarroso@...> wrote:

                  > Hi there.
                  >
                  > I need to buy a lock for my bike.
                  >
                  > I was planning on buying the Kryptonite Evolution Mini for the frame, with a cable extension for the wheels, but I guess the 4 feet cable from Kryptonite hasn't enough lenght for the Xtracyle, so I need something longer.
                  >
                  > What do you use with your Xtra? And does anyone has any experience with the Evo Mini? I want something robust, but the New York series from Kryptonite, are way too heavy!
                  >
                  > cheers,
                  > Miguel Barroso
                  >
                  > www.tambstudio.com
                  > +351919202820
                  > +351210962981

                • wsafranek
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 7, 2010
                    By now you've already made it to the vet and had lots of advice, but I want to chime in that I've had one cat on each wide loader and my son on a seat on the deck. One of the cats really thrashed around though.
                  • Sean Moore
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 7, 2010
                      I use a full-size U lock (bulldog? brand) and a 6ft kryptonite cable.  I wish it was 7ft long but I manage to get front wheel/front rack frame and freerad locked most everywhere (can't get it through the rear wheel).  I lock the u-lock around the bike rack when I can but there are a few places where I have to use the cable to secure the bike to what I'm locking it to.  In these instances I pass the ulock through the front triangle and the front wheel, to immobilize the bike.

                      --
                      Sean Moore
                      moore.sean@...

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 7, 2010
                        I live in Lisbon, Portugal - and I've been pushing my luck with 2 thin cables for some years (although I rarely used to park the bike anywhere, but closed places). But with the Xtracycle, I'll be using the bicycle more and specially parking it outside much more often, because it's bigger. I just started using a Kryptonite 10mm cable that belonged to my recently sold motorbike. But it's still a cable, and for that, a small but god wire cutter, will trash it in no time.

                        So that's why a prefer a good U lock.

                        As for weight, I frequently have to ride steep uphills (>10%) around here, and if I can carry a 2 pound lock, instead of a 4 pound one, so be it.

                        I'll skip on the cable for the wheels - thanks for the tips on security wheel nuts.

                        Cheers,
                        Miguel

                        From: "coach4many" <coach4many@...>

                        Sent via the WebMail system at phneutro.com
                      • daviddeanehunter
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 7, 2010
                          I use a Kryptonite New York and a mini u-lock. The New York secures the frame and front whell, the mini locks the rear wheel to the frame. Having said that, they now make cordless angle grinders -- that means the New York takes 30 seconds to cut instead of 20 seconds :-\

                          dave

                          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Miguel Barroso" <miguelbarroso@...> wrote:

                          > Hi there.
                          >
                          > I need to buy a lock for my bike.
                          >
                          > I was planning on buying the Kryptonite Evolution Mini for the frame, with a cable extension for the wheels, but I guess the 4 feet cable from Kryptonite hasn't enough lenght for the Xtracyle, so I need something longer.
                          >
                          > What do you use with your Xtra? And does anyone has any experience with the Evo Mini? I want something robust, but the New York series from Kryptonite, are way too heavy!
                          >
                          > cheers,
                          > Miguel Barroso
                          >
                          > www.tambstudio.com
                          > +351919202820
                          > +351210962981

                        • Cara Lin Bridgman
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 7, 2010
                            I got some sort of 6-foot cable with a combination lock. I usually use
                            this around front tire, frame, and tree or fence. If I'm any place that
                            feels too open, I've a long motorbike lock that goes through the
                            free-radical frame and around the rear wheel. It's black and kind of
                            blends into the bike, so if anyone messed with the cable, they'd
                            experience a setback from the motorbike lock.

                            This motorbike like commonly used in Taiwan. You could consider it a
                            narrow version of the kryptonite U-lock without the bic override.

                            CL
                          • Miguel Barroso
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 8, 2010
                              Make it 3min.of intensive noise, with a good grinder (and with someone who knows how to properly use one - ah, and it takes a full disc to grind it down). If you read through the reviews of New York locks (and similar ones), the hardened steel, is really hard!

                              Having said this, I won't leave de bicycle regularly in the same place, nor for very long periods - so I want to defeat the ocasional thieves, and I don't think that they carry a cordless grinder around.

                              Miguel Barroso

                            • rcooley1@comcast.net
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 8, 2010

                                Hi, I live in a fairly small town in central PA, and park on a patrolled college campus, so I just use a U-lock plus a 6’ Kryptonite cable.  I run it through the front wheel, around a bike rack, through the rear wheel, and then thru the freerad and rear triangle of the frame.  I lock the U-lock around a crankarm and a chainstay.  Seat is bolted instead of Q-R.  So far it has worked well and is quick to lock/unlock.  Probably not robust enough for something like NYC, but works here.  Best,

                                Rob

                              • Philip Diaz

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 9, 2010
                                    I have an AXA frame lock.

                                  • jenstheblackdane
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 9, 2010
                                      I've lived in NYC for 13 years and have always used the exact combo you're thinking - even on my X. In all that time it has never been compromised.

                                      Lucky? Maybe. I do carry my baby up two flights of stairs when I get home at night - so she rarely spends the night on the street. I'm not careful with her though - I lock her up all over the city and stay out as late as I like - with little concern for her safety.

                                      For me the Evo-mini + 4 foot cable is the most security for least weight.

                                      It also serves a second function which further increase it's utility: For travel/storage the cable wraps around the seat post and the mini hooks through the rails of my saddle and down through the eyes of the cable. It doesn't rattle around or throw the balance of the bike off - it becomes a "stoker bar" for passengers.

                                      Jens

                                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Miguel Barroso" <miguelbarroso@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi there.
                                      >
                                      > I need to buy a lock for my bike.
                                      >
                                      > I was planning on buying the Kryptonite Evolution Mini for the frame, with a cable extension for the wheels, but I guess the 4 feet cable from Kryptonite hasn't enough lenght for the Xtracyle, so I need something longer.
                                      >
                                      > What do you use with your Xtra? And does anyone has any experience with the Evo Mini? I want something robust, but the New York series from Kryptonite, are way too heavy!
                                      >
                                      > cheers,
                                      > Miguel Barroso
                                      >
                                      > www.tambstudio.com
                                      > +351919202820
                                      > +351210962981

                                    • Rich
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jan 11, 2010
                                        I have the AXA Defender frame ring lock and 1400mm accessory chain installed on one bike and it is the most convenient lock setup I have used. I did have to make my own accessory plate to mount the lock as the standard mounting bands and holes would not fit the square aluminum seat stays on the Swobo Dixon the lock is installed on. Both too wide spread and large in diameter. The lock is designed to fit round steel seat stays IMO.

                                        Not sure how it would fit a Xtracycle frame setup as I do not have one yet but you might contact the US importer, Clever Cycles in Portland, to ask.

                                        Rich Wood