Transporting three children

  • kvuicich
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 5, 2010
      Hi everyone:

      I'm considering buying a Radish and have three children to transport (not usually all at the same time, though): a 10 month old, a 3 yr old and a 5.5 yr old. The two younger ones are REALLY big kids - the baby already weighs 28 lbs and the 3 yr old weighs 50 lbs and is about 41 inches tall.

      I was thinking that I could install a Peapod on the back that either the baby or 3 yr old could ride in, but I'm afraid the 3 yr old may already be too big for it. I was also considering a Bobike mini on the front, but I'm not sure how long the 10 month old would fit in it. The 5.5 yr old can just ride on the snap deck, so I'm not too concerned about her. Pretty much all of our trips are less than 2 mi in length.

      I don't have the time to try and build anything myself, so the whole thing will have to be built up for me.

      I'd appreciate any feedback/advice anyone might have.

      Thanks,
      Kara
      Albany, CA
    • Nathan Klatt
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 5, 2010
        > I'm considering buying a Radish and have three children to transport
        > (not usually all at the same time, though): a 10 month old, a 3 yr old
        > and a 5.5 yr old. The two younger ones are REALLY big kids - the
        > baby already weighs 28 lbs and the 3 yr old weighs 50 lbs and is
        > about 41 inches tall.

        Yikes. How about a non-longbike, a Pea Pod (or other rear child
        carrier), and a tandem Trail-a-Bike?
      • Reese Dobbins
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 5, 2010
          what is a tandem trail a bike?

          Sent: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 2:19 PM
          Subject: Re: [rootsradicals] Transporting three children

          > I'm considering buying a Radish and have three children to

          transport
          > (not usually all at the same time, though): a 10 month old, a
          3 yr old
          > and a 5.5 yr old. The two younger ones are REALLY big kids -
          the
          > baby already weighs 28 lbs and the 3 yr old weighs 50 lbs and
          is
          > about 41 inches tall.

          Yikes. How about a non-longbike, a Pea Pod (or other rear child
          carrier), and a tandem Trail-a-Bike?
        • Dave Lloyd
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 5, 2010
            I've had up to four on my Xtracycle, but usually it's between one and three.  My two oldest, 5.5 and 4 now, are around 45 and 40 pounds respectively.  They both ride on the back in a double seat I built.  Had the PeaPod LT been available, though, I probably would have gone that route (though it was fun making the seat).

            I'd suggest that you get a Burley or Chariot trailer for the youngest for a few reasons.

            1. With two larger kids on the bike, you can't lean too far to one side simply because you've raised the center of gravity enough (the X carries loads so well 'cos they're down low and between the wheels) that you can have a bit of a challenge with the bike tipping over while at a stop.  If you have to come to a sudden stop, it can sometimes be challenging to keep everything upright as you approach zero forward velocity.  I've had to manhandle the rig a time or two, and there was one unfortunate incident while loading (make sure you're on level ground, and I can't recommend the kickback enough).

            2. Trailers are far more stable.  It's going to be a challenge to find a helmet to fit your wee one's head and even then, helmets are a second line of protection anyway.  The first line is to not have any sort of collision in the first place.  Good trailers are very unlikely to tip and the little one is surrounded by a bit of a roll cage.  Kid number three, who is now a hair over 1.5, goes in the trailer.  Only recently has her head grown enough to fit into her helmet (giro me2) and that's with the additional foam pads as spacers.  Yes, people in the Netherlands and Euroland plop their infants on bicycles as soon as they're post-natal, but traffic patterns and cities are very different over there. Even Portland, Davis or Boulder don't come close in terms of cities that are built around moving people, not moving cars.

            3. When you're done with the trailer, you can resell it for a fair portion of what you paid for it. Burley trailers go for about 50% of the purchase price around here, and they don't last long (and this is in St. Louis).

            If you browse my photos at www.flickr.com/bikeadave, you can see pics of my kids and the setup.

            Three kids can definitely be done, but I think that three kids on one Xtracyle without using a trailer might be a bit iffy.

            Happy biking!

            --dlloyd

            On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 12:59, kvuicich <kara@...> wrote:

[...]

          • Jeff Snavely
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 5, 2010
              http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tandem+trail+a+bike

              what is a tandem trail a bike?

              Sent: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 2:19 PM

              > I'm considering buying a Radish and have three children to transport
              > (not usually all at the same time, though): a 10 month old, a 3 yr old
              > and a 5.5 yr old. The two younger ones are REALLY big kids - the
              > baby already weighs 28 lbs and the 3 yr old weighs 50 lbs and is
              > about 41 inches tall.

              Yikes. How about a non-longbike, a Pea Pod (or other rear child
              carrier), and a tandem Trail-a-Bike?

            • Kara Vuicich

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 5, 2010
                    Seconding the "get the xtracycle", you can do this, if you get the right attachments for your trailer:

                    http://gallery.mac.com/dr2chase#100060/IMG_2761&bgcolor=black
                  • Steve Lange
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 5, 2010
                      On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 12:38 PM, Kara Vuicich <kara@...> wrote:

                      Thanks for the advice. Right now, we have two Charriot trailers (a single and a double), plus a trail-a-bike. The trailer set-up works pretty well for us (it's our primary means of transportation right now), but I don't have enough carrying capacity to use my bike to do grocery shopping and have (some of) the kids in tow. (Unfortunately, the Charriots don't have much cargo space.) I thought using an Xtracycle might be able to solve that problem, which it will to some extent, but it sounds like 2 kids at a time should be the limit. I'm a bit on the fence as to whether or not it's worth getting the Xtracycle now, or if I should wait until the yougest ones are older.

                      We have two boys, a 5 year old and a nearly 3 year old, and use an Xtracycle plus Wike Moonlight Double. The Wike has a nice "trunk" area that carries a good amount of gear, is well built, and as big (or bigger) inside as most/all of the competition from Burley and Chariot (at least it was when I got ours nearly 2 years ago).

                      Anyways, there's *plenty* of ability to carry groceries or whatever on the Xtracycle while having the kids in the trailer. You could definitely do 1-2 kids in the trailer, 1-2 kids on top of the Snapdeck (get a Magic Carpet if you ask me) and then put groceries on the side. The kids might have to straddle the groceries a little bit, but it's do-able, for sure (assuming not everything is huge flats of whatever from Costco/Walmart).  Or you could do 1 kid on the Snapdeck, two in the trailer, if the cargo load required it.

                      Long story short, the Xtracycle + trailer combo is a serious minivan killer. I'd be all over it if I was you!

                      Steve Lange
                      Santa Barbara, CA
                    • Dave Lloyd
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 5, 2010
                        Yes!  A minivan replacement is exactly what I use mine for.

                        In fact, with the trailer I have a capacity of four kids, same as our minivan.  However, were there any big hills, I may well want to get an e-assist.  That's a lot of weight to haul.  My calculations for how much extra weight I was hauling when I did have four kids behind me was around 180 pounds, or more or less another me.

                        --dlloyd

                        On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 15:00, Steve Lange <steve@...> wrote:

                        Long story short, the Xtracycle + trailer combo is a serious minivan killer. I'd be all over it if I was you!

                      • Wes T
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 5, 2010
                          Kara,
                          I was tempted not to reply because I'm jealous of your weather (we're scheduled to have -40 wind chills tomorrow) but the love for my fellow biker must prevail! Anyway, sounds like your current equipment is similar to what I started with, although you do have considerable more cargo to haul than I do (kids anyway). I only had one child to haul around (she's now almost 3 years old) but I was absolutely amazed how well the xtracycle worked to haul the little one and get groceries, ect. I don't know what your financial situation is, but if your serious about ditching the car and consider the ultimate bike setup a good way to make that happen, my suggestion would be Big Dummy with a stoke monkey. If that's more than you can justify spending then I would suggest the Raddish w/ the stoke monkey. The Chariot is an excellent trailer and if you can supply the power, you should have no problem finding a way to accomodate 3 kids + groceries.
                          Take a look at my flickr account http://www.flickr.com/photos/31290700@N06/
                          You'll find pictures of my double child seat and the accomodations I've made to allow me to hook my Chariot up without sacrificing any of the X's cargo hauling ability. Also, if you look at the last couple pictures you'll see the cargo bag I had made for the Chariot (I actually had the bag made before I got the Xtracycle). I used the Chariot alone as my main grocery getter for about a year before I got the X. Since then I still use the bag once in a while, but it's pretty rare. With the full getup I have the ability to carry up to 4 kids (2 on the seats, 2 in the trailer - although I've only actually carried three at once) + 4 full size paper grocery bags on the X and 4 full sacks in the Chariot bag. Luckily I live in the flatlands (Nebraska) but the Xtracycle has without a doubt changed the way I view bicycles and their ability to replace the car. Now if I could only change the climate here!!!

                          PS: I don't have pictures yet, but I have since switched over to the Big Dummy and I'm so glad I did. If you're confident you have a serious commitment to going care free (or very light) I would recommend biting the bullet and going with the Big Dummy right from the start.

                          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "kvuicich" <kara@...> wrote:

                          > Hi everyone:
                          >
                          > I'm considering buying a Radish and have three children to transport (not usually all at the same time, though): a 10 month old, a 3 yr old and a 5.5 yr old. The two younger ones are REALLY big kids - the baby already weighs 28 lbs and the 3 yr old weighs 50 lbs and is about 41 inches tall.
                          >
                          > I was thinking that I could install a Peapod on the back that either the baby or 3 yr old could ride in, but I'm afraid the 3 yr old may already be too big for it. I was also considering a Bobike mini on the front, but I'm not sure how long the 10 month old would fit in it. The 5.5 yr old can just ride on the snap deck, so I'm not too concerned about her. Pretty much all of our trips are less than 2 mi in length.
                          >
                          > I don't have the time to try and build anything myself, so the whole thing will have to be built up for me.
                          >
                          > I'd appreciate any feedback/advice anyone might have.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Kara
                          > Albany, CA

                        • Liz W. Durham
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 5, 2010

                            And the Big Dummy is on sale right now…

                            http://www.ebikestop.com/search.php  Good price, includes the freeloaders and all.

                            I only ride with one child so I cannot really answer your question but it sure sounds like a number of folks have made it work with more than one child while still having hauling capacity. Bobike mini will work for a child up to 33 lbs – according to their specs. So you might get a year out of it but maybe less. Do any of the other front mounts take a little more weight?  I loved the Bobike but my son is a lightweight so I actually got 3 years of him. And now I have retrofit it on the snapdeck so I am getting even more use of it.

                            Depending on your idea of a build, it really won’t take that long. Maybe the peapod on the back for the littlest and then a basic seat for the second. You could take a padded canoe seat and bolt in on or you could plastic seat, cut off the legs and bolt it on. You might want to fashion straps for security but that would also be pretty easy. You could do that in a weekend pretty easily. Won’t be as pretty as some of the other homemade seats but would work. Either the 3 or 5 year old could have a nice seat back and the little one is secure in the peapod. You then have the bags for groceries and whatnot.

> [...]

                            usually all at the same time, though): a 10 month old, a 3 yr old and a 5.5 yr old. The two younger ones are REALLY big kids - the baby already weighs 28 lbs and the 3 yr old weighs 50 lbs and is about 41 inches tall.

                            > I was thinking that I could install a Peapod on the back that either the
                            baby or 3 yr old could ride in, but I'm afraid the 3 yr old may already be too big for it. I was also considering a Bobike mini on the front, but I'm not sure how long the 10 month old would fit in it. The 5.5 yr old can just ride on the snap deck, so I'm not too concerned about her. Pretty much all of our trips are less than 2 mi in length.

                            > I don't have the time to try and build anything myself, so the whole thing
                            will have to be built up for me.

                            > I'd appreciate any feedback/advice anyone might have.

                          • Kara Vuicich

> [...]

                              > I was thinking that I could install a Peapod on the back that either the baby or 3 yr old could ride in, but I'm afraid the 3 yr old may already be too big for it. I was also considering a Bobike mini on the front, but I'm not sure how long the 10 month old would fit in it. The 5.5 yr old can just ride on the snap deck, so I'm not too concerned about her. Pretty much all of our trips are less than 2 mi in length.
                              >
                              > I don't have the time to try and build anything myself, so the whole thing will have to be built up for me.
                              >
                              > I'd appreciate any feedback/advice anyone might have.

                            • gcisler
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 6, 2010
                                I've always ridden the xtra cycle with my twins in the trailer, and it's worked out well. the low centered weight is much more enjoyable in my opinion. obviously the tradeoff is the length.
                                http://www.jpbikeresearch.com/2009/10/xtracycle-updates/

                                even if you don't go the big dummy route, just getting the xtracycle would change everything for you, and from the sounds of it, you have everything else.

                                good luck with this, we expect an update once you decide! :)

                                Geoff
                                Boston, ma