Re: [rootsradicals] rear light

  • Philip Diaz
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 4, 2010
      i attached a 1.5" galvanized angle bracket to the underside of my (custom) snapdeck, and bolted a blinky to the back of it. a bit of gorilla glue keeps it from rotating:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/philipdiaz/2166932821/in/set-72157603637587385/

      philip

      On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 8:32 AM, Drew <awade1975@...> wrote:

      Hi all,

      Anyone tried these? http://bikebrightz.com/index.html

      I have had a heck of a time keeping rear lights to stay attached to the freerad going over curbs and such in the last few years. I now just use a helmet mounted superflash as a result. I wonder if these above could be pointed backward, even though they show them facing down like the DLG, or whether pointing them at those behind would be too bright.

      Other successes for bright FR mounted lights that stay put?

    • Rick Pickett
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 4, 2010
        Re: using gorilla glue: Could you also use a locking washer or toothed washer to keep it from twisting?

        Happy New Year everyone!

        "The city needs a car like a fish needs a bicycle."  – Dean Kamen

        graphic mechanic rick@...
        888.537-1401 x709 | long live long bikes

        On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 8:32 AM, Drew <awade1975@yahoo. com> wrote:

        Hi all,

        Anyone tried these? http://bikebrightz. com/index. html

        I have had a heck of a time keeping rear lights to stay attached to the freerad going over curbs and such in the last few years. I now just use a helmet mounted superflash as a result. I wonder if these above could be pointed backward, even though they show them facing down like the DLG, or whether pointing them at those behind would be too bright.

        Other successes for bright FR mounted lights that stay put?

      • jj
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 4, 2010
          I use velcro ties that wrap around the rear upright freerad, and are
          snug against the light. I also use skinny tubes over the those same
          uprights to limit water from getting into the frame (this is portland
          after all--it rains a bit.) I have not yet lost a light due to bumps,
          but I have lost two due to backing into walls and such. OTOH, without a
          4$ blinky I would have backed my FRAME into the wall. I'll lost the 4$
          blinkiy from time to time.

          I usually have two lights on the back of my x, but loaned the velcro to
          a friend that broke her blinky holder so that she still had a blinky on
          a long ride.

          Does anyone have a bikebrightz? How long are they. Will they fit across
          the rear bridge?

          Thanks!

          JJ

          Drew wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > Anyone tried these? http://bikebrightz.com/index.html
          > <http://bikebrightz.com/index.html>
          >
          > I have had a heck of a time keeping rear lights to stay attached to
          > the freerad going over curbs and such in the last few years. I now
          > just use a helmet mounted superflash as a result. I wonder if these
          > above could be pointed backward, even though they show them facing
          > down like the DLG, or whether pointing them at those behind would be
          > too bright.
          >
          > Other successes for bright FR mounted lights that stay put?

        • Dave Lloyd
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 4, 2010
            I've used the Planet Bike BRT-5 lights and the CatEye TL-LD610.  The BRT 5 lights worked well enough (a few wraps of cloth tape around the V racks were necessary to to shim the mounts), but the mounts kept getting loose, which led to droopy tail lights and eventually the mounting tabs for the reflectors fell off.

            The TL-LD610 lights have held up quite well so far.  Battery life is pretty decent, they're nice and bright, the mounts, while basic, work pretty well and are easy to tweak back into position if your cargo knocks them loose.  I have them mounted in line vertically with the V racks.  You can see them in the lower left corner of the picture here:
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/bikeadave/3949446122/

            --dlloyd

          • speedub_nate
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 4, 2010
              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Drew" <awade1975@...> wrote:

              > I have had a heck of a time keeping rear lights to stay attached to the freerad going over curbs and such in the last few years. I now just use a helmet mounted superflash as a result.

              Were you having a specific problem keeping the Planet Bike Super Flash staying attached? FWIW, the Super Flash it the brightest, most noticeable among the "cost effective" tail lights that I've found. I haven't had any issues with mine on the skinny stays on my folder, so am wondering if there's something particular about the Free Rad that causes it to be unsteady. It'd be a shame if I couldn't rely on it.

              I don't know how well this holds up after 3 years, but here's a comparison video I made of the Super Flash vs. the CatEye LD1000:

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl5y72POyiU
            • Drew
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 4, 2010
                The specific problem, not just with the superflash, but with every other cheapish battery powered blinky, is that on occasion, usually on dismounting a curb or hitting some other bump in the road, the moment arm being behind the wheel causes the detachable light to fall off its post. Loosening of the mount is the other problem I have had, and some solutions to that have been mentioned here -- thanks!

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "speedub_nate" <speedub.nate@...> wrote:

                > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Drew" <awade1975@> wrote:
                >
                > > I have had a heck of a time keeping rear lights to stay attached to the freerad going over curbs and such in the last few years. I now just use a helmet mounted superflash as a result.
                >
                > Were you having a specific problem keeping the Planet Bike Super Flash staying attached? FWIW, the Super Flash it the brightest, most noticeable among the "cost effective" tail lights that I've found. I haven't had any issues with mine on the skinny stays on my folder, so am wondering if there's something particular about the Free Rad that causes it to be unsteady. It'd be a shame if I couldn't rely on it.
                >
                > I don't know how well this holds up after 3 years, but here's a comparison video I made of the Super Flash vs. the CatEye LD1000:
                >
                > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl5y72POyiU

              • David Dannenberg
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 5, 2010
                  I do something similar, but with Superblinkies. I recommend the Superblinky very highly. Super bright, durable and simple.

                  David
                • Beth Aiton
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 5, 2010
                    I have a great red light attached to the Velcro on my freeloader. I haven't lost yet. Also have old headlamp zipped tied to me ecodeck. It has red and white. I also have two others attached to the sides of deck.

                    Sent from my iPhone