Wanted: Avid 203mm front bracket

  • Doug Van Cleve
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2010
      Howdy folks.

      I need a 203mm front bracket for my Avid Juicy 7 front caliper.  I was thinking that somebody out there might have one that isn't needed if they bought a complete 203mm rear setup, since the Free Radical uses a 160mm bracket.  I have a rear 203mm I can trade or I can just buy it.  Anyone, anyone?

      Thanks, Doug

      P.S.  I settled on 6 bolt XT hubs with Alex DM24 rims (~33mm wide) that I will lace 3x with black 14g spokes (36 front and back).  Interesting, spocalc says I should be able to get away with 258mm spokes all around (or half 257, half 258 if that's an option)...

    • speedub_nate
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2010
        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Doug Van Cleve <dvancleve@...> wrote:

        > P.S. I settled on 6 bolt XT hubs with Alex DM24 rims (~33mm wide) that I will lace 3x with black 14g spokes (36 front and back). Interesting, spocalc says I should be able to get away with 258mm spokes all around (or half 257, half 258 if that's an option)...

        Since you're taking the time to build purpose-built wheels, I'd definitely recommend beefing up your spoke choice to something with a thicker elbow. I'll always choose butted over straight gauge for the increased fatigue life, but in the case of load-carrying wheels for tandems or cargo, spokes with 2.3mm elbows are available from both DT (Alpine III) and Sapim (Strong, Force).

        It's cheap insurance, the weight penalty is minor, and the actual cost per spoke isn't that much greater than a reputable straight-gauge spoke. In the case of the Sapim Strong, it's single butted, so it is equivalent to a 14g straight-gauge with extra material at the elbow where breaks occur most often.