Re: xtracycle on a rear car rack

  • jparks781
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2010
      Even just a regular rear rack with two supports sticking out to the rear of the car can hold an xtracycle. No need to remove wheels unless it makes you nervous. you can turn the front wheel 90 degrees to the rest of the bike (and strap it to hold it that way). The bike will stick out beyond the sides of the car, but not so far that you'd hit anything or anyone unless you were too close to them in the first place. Negotiating parking lots and drivethroughs of any sort require extra awareness. Or Xtra awareness, if you will.

      Absolutely take the Freeloaders off if you'll be going over about 45 mph.

      I've carried my old Schwinn Twinn 5-spd tandem (with homemade kidback - see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rootsradicals/photos/album/339260831/pic/list) the same way, and the xtracycle is clearly shorter than the tandem. The rack I use is a Yakima hitch-mounted one that supposedly carries up to 4 bikes, although I always put the tandem or the Xtra nearest the car and put another strap from the top of the bike or the rack to the car to prevent the big sagging and swaying that happens when going over even moderate bumps at speed.

      Just remember to make sure the wheels of the bike(s) are far enough above the ground so you won't whack'em on the ground going over bumps and out of driveways. And don't let the tire sit in the slipstream of the exhaust pipe - the tire _will_ melt. I saw that more than once when I was working at the bikeshop.

      Oh, and some people have managed to carry an Xtra on this type of rack by hanging the bike "vertically", front wheel down, rear end sticking up and suspended from the rack by the bike's seat tube. I've never done this, don't quite have the upper body strength to get it up there.

      Joel