Re: [rootsradicals] xtracycle on a rear car rack

  • Ben Rosenthal
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2010
      I've done it several times. Only have to remove the front wheel and put one holder through the apex of the frame triangle behind the seat rather than under the top bar to make it balance right.

      On 2 Jan 2010, at 16:49, Hamilton wrote:

      > Has anyone had success putting their xtracycle on a rear rack?
    • herbsandy_2000
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2010
        I have a PerformanceBike "Xport Flatbed" rack. This is a hitch-mounted, wheel-tray type rack and when I extend the trays out all the way, my Xtra will fit on the rack with both wheels still on. The bike is a Bridgestone MB-2 with the FreeRadical kit.

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Hamilton" <hamiltonbelk@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone had success putting their xtracycle on a rear rack?

      • Kwikfile
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2010
          I did a home hack, details below, pics later:

          WARNING: BEFORE YOU CUT ANYTHING THINK IT THROUGH:
          I hack sawed my Yakima Steel head tray in order to lengthen it. I bought some bolts/washes/nuts sets and slid them into the groove at the bottom of each half of the steelhead tray. I determined how long I needed to extend to carry the X. I got a piece of square extruded aluminum. Drilled 4 holes to mate with the two pairs on the steelhead tray halfs. I Essentially extended the tray and remounted on the car. I carry the X completely stripped no freeloaders or snap deck because of high wind issues and less weight on top of my car. A local Yakima rep saw it and was impressed with the design.

          In retrospect I would use a couple more bolts and use a piece of extrusion going all the way back to the end of the tray. Because I did not do this the tray tends to twist whereby the X will sway more than I care for it to.

          It is also a good idea to use the Xtracycle tie down straps that come with the Wideloader kits to cinch the X down for added stability.

          In doing all this it makes carrying an X a pain in the patootsky but for long trips it is a good cheap alternative to expensive tandem racks. I have a honda Element so any measurements would be fruitless to mention.

          WARNING: BEFORE YOU CUT ANYTHING THINK IT THROUGH. I PAID $120 for each YAKIMA STEELHEAD. BE CAREFUL

          Peace,

          Carl

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Hamilton" <hamiltonbelk@...> wrote:

          > Has anyone had success putting their xtracycle on a rear rack?

        • jparks781
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2010
            Even just a regular rear rack with two supports sticking out to the rear of the car can hold an xtracycle. No need to remove wheels unless it makes you nervous. you can turn the front wheel 90 degrees to the rest of the bike (and strap it to hold it that way). The bike will stick out beyond the sides of the car, but not so far that you'd hit anything or anyone unless you were too close to them in the first place. Negotiating parking lots and drivethroughs of any sort require extra awareness. Or Xtra awareness, if you will.

            Absolutely take the Freeloaders off if you'll be going over about 45 mph.

            I've carried my old Schwinn Twinn 5-spd tandem (with homemade kidback - see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rootsradicals/photos/album/339260831/pic/list) the same way, and the xtracycle is clearly shorter than the tandem. The rack I use is a Yakima hitch-mounted one that supposedly carries up to 4 bikes, although I always put the tandem or the Xtra nearest the car and put another strap from the top of the bike or the rack to the car to prevent the big sagging and swaying that happens when going over even moderate bumps at speed.

            Just remember to make sure the wheels of the bike(s) are far enough above the ground so you won't whack'em on the ground going over bumps and out of driveways. And don't let the tire sit in the slipstream of the exhaust pipe - the tire _will_ melt. I saw that more than once when I was working at the bikeshop.

            Oh, and some people have managed to carry an Xtra on this type of rack by hanging the bike "vertically", front wheel down, rear end sticking up and suspended from the rack by the bike's seat tube. I've never done this, don't quite have the upper body strength to get it up there.

            Joel