Hi

  • Miguel Barroso
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 2, 2010
      Hi there,

      I've just joind this group.

      I'm 36, Portuguese, and live in Lisbon.

      I currently have a 97 GT Tequesta, that I plan to convert. I considered buying a Surly Big Dummy frame, but the price, and the fact that they are not sold here in Portugal, made me forget this idea.
      So, this month there will be another rootsradical here in Lisbon!

      Cheers,

      Miguel Barroso
    • Bruno
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 2, 2010
        Welcome Miguel,

        On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 10:33 PM, Miguel Barroso <miguelbarroso@...> wrote:
        I currently have a 97 GT Tequesta, that I plan to convert. I considered buying a Surly Big Dummy frame, but the price, and the fact that they are not sold here in Portugal, made me forget this idea.

        The price may be a deterrent indeed, but if you'd want to get one they are available through you know who. ;-P That wouldn't be a reason for not getting one.

        Cheers,
        Bruno
      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 6, 2010
          I've got one of the tightest fits of stokemonkey to bike frame. I put a
          stokemonkey on a 16" Surly Instigator frame. There are literally 2-3 mm
          to spare on all three sides and between chain and frame. The only way
          to make it fit was to put tongue of the free-radical below the chain
          stays, not above.

          CL

          Sean Moore wrote:

          > Alas, not to be. I just went and measured my bike. Stokemonkey won't
          > fit on my ~19in Bianchi Milano. Chain clearance was close, room in the
          > triangle isn't in the ballpark.
          > --
          > Sean Moore
          > moore.sean@... <mailto:moore.sean@...>
        • Cara Lin Bridgman
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 6, 2010
            That's why I got the stokemonkey--so I could get home, which is near the
            top of a 280 m hill.

            CL

            jj wrote:
            > It
            > alleviates the fear of being "stuck", unable to get home when she is at
            > the bottom of the hill near our house.
          • Jeff Snavely
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 7, 2010
              Yea, I changed my wife's Big Dummy from an 18 to a 16 at the last minute. That turned out to be a mistake. The stokemonkey fits, but not like it really should. I paid a shop to do it, but had to re-do all of their work when I got it home so I felt the full pain of fitting it in there.

              I am sure my wife appreciates the slightly lower standover, but I would definitely buy the 18 if I were doing it over.

              JeffS

              Sean Moore wrote:

              > Alas, not to be. I just went and measured my bike. Stokemonkey won't
              > fit on my ~19in Bianchi Milano. Chain clearance was close, room in the
              > triangle isn't in the ballpark.
              > --
              > Sean Moore
              > moore.sean@... <mailto:moore.sean@...>

            • todd
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 7, 2010
                let me guess: hard to get bracket out of path of right-side chain, especially if a derailleur gearing system? do-able, but tedious, i agree!

                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 7, 2010
                  My crank arm was hitting the bracket after I aligned things where I wanted them. The bike shop had apparently twisted the bracket (and chainline) to avoid this. I cut the end of the bracket off. On a larger frame, I would have offset the motor slightly for a better chainline. I didn't have that option here though. I had to have it centered for every mm of available clearance. I'm hoping we can keep it running as the chain wears. If not, I will just replace the chain more often.

                  It wouldn't have been such a big deal if I hadn't been so pissed about having to redo it in the first place. What really put me over the top was finding that the shop monkey had clamped the SM mount OVER the top of the water bottle bosses, crushing them into the tube.

                  It's been months and I still haven't calmed down enough to lodge my complaint.