Re:Hub motor or stokemonkey?

  • Bruce Alan Wilson
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 30, 2009
      While the Stokemonkey mounts won't fit anything but an Xtracycle or Big Dummy, it MIGHT be possible to adapt it to something else; it has been done.  Todd doesn't encourage it, but it has been done.  Does your local university have a School of Engineering?  If so, you might be able to find a bright Mechanical Engineering student who'd be willing to take up the challenge of adapting a Stokemonkey to a Madsen.  I talked to a ME I know about it, and he says that he thinks he could do it, but would have to study it a little more.

      Before you go to a hub gear, I'd look at Ecospeed: http://www.ecospeed.com/ or Cyclone http://www.cyclone-usa.com/; they are based on similar engineering principles to a Stokemonkey, but are adaptable to more types of bike.

    • Miguel Barroso
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 2, 2010
        Hi there,

        I've just joind this group.

        I'm 36, Portuguese, and live in Lisbon.

        I currently have a 97 GT Tequesta, that I plan to convert. I considered buying a Surly Big Dummy frame, but the price, and the fact that they are not sold here in Portugal, made me forget this idea.
        So, this month there will be another rootsradical here in Lisbon!

        Cheers,

        Miguel Barroso
      • Bruno
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 2, 2010
          Welcome Miguel,

          On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 10:33 PM, Miguel Barroso <miguelbarroso@...> wrote:
          I currently have a 97 GT Tequesta, that I plan to convert. I considered buying a Surly Big Dummy frame, but the price, and the fact that they are not sold here in Portugal, made me forget this idea.

          The price may be a deterrent indeed, but if you'd want to get one they are available through you know who. ;-P That wouldn't be a reason for not getting one.

          Cheers,
          Bruno
        • Cara Lin Bridgman
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 6, 2010
            I've got one of the tightest fits of stokemonkey to bike frame. I put a
            stokemonkey on a 16" Surly Instigator frame. There are literally 2-3 mm
            to spare on all three sides and between chain and frame. The only way
            to make it fit was to put tongue of the free-radical below the chain
            stays, not above.

            CL

            Sean Moore wrote:

            > Alas, not to be. I just went and measured my bike. Stokemonkey won't
            > fit on my ~19in Bianchi Milano. Chain clearance was close, room in the
            > triangle isn't in the ballpark.
            > --
            > Sean Moore
            > moore.sean@... <mailto:moore.sean@...>
          • Cara Lin Bridgman
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 6, 2010
              That's why I got the stokemonkey--so I could get home, which is near the
              top of a 280 m hill.

              CL

              jj wrote:
              > It
              > alleviates the fear of being "stuck", unable to get home when she is at
              > the bottom of the hill near our house.
            • Jeff Snavely
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 7, 2010
                Yea, I changed my wife's Big Dummy from an 18 to a 16 at the last minute. That turned out to be a mistake. The stokemonkey fits, but not like it really should. I paid a shop to do it, but had to re-do all of their work when I got it home so I felt the full pain of fitting it in there.

                I am sure my wife appreciates the slightly lower standover, but I would definitely buy the 18 if I were doing it over.

                JeffS

                Sean Moore wrote:

                > Alas, not to be. I just went and measured my bike. Stokemonkey won't
                > fit on my ~19in Bianchi Milano. Chain clearance was close, room in the
                > triangle isn't in the ballpark.
                > --
                > Sean Moore
                > moore.sean@... <mailto:moore.sean@...>

              • todd
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 7, 2010
                  let me guess: hard to get bracket out of path of right-side chain, especially if a derailleur gearing system? do-able, but tedious, i agree!

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 7, 2010
                    My crank arm was hitting the bracket after I aligned things where I wanted them. The bike shop had apparently twisted the bracket (and chainline) to avoid this. I cut the end of the bracket off. On a larger frame, I would have offset the motor slightly for a better chainline. I didn't have that option here though. I had to have it centered for every mm of available clearance. I'm hoping we can keep it running as the chain wears. If not, I will just replace the chain more often.

                    It wouldn't have been such a big deal if I hadn't been so pissed about having to redo it in the first place. What really put me over the top was finding that the shop monkey had clamped the SM mount OVER the top of the water bottle bosses, crushing them into the tube.

                    It's been months and I still haven't calmed down enough to lodge my complaint.