Re: some lessons learned and a question...

  • coach4many
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 24, 2009
      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "speedub_nate" <speedub.nate@...> wrote:

      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "coach4many" <coach4many@> wrote:
      >
      > > I found a pair of Scott clear lens goggles at BoBos Mogul Mouse in Reno yesterday
      > > Next, If anyone has an idea about a front fender I would be greatful. With big studded snowtires I do not have a lot of clearance for a fender, but soaked myself in the muck today and would like to come up with something.
      > > 2. Like a rear wheel drive car, having weight in your freeloaders makes riding in slush and snow and ice much easier.
      >
      > Bobo's! I love them -- they have (had?) a great ski demo program @ Mt. Rose. What a great shop to have in town. I recently began using swim goggles for full eye protection. There are a number of models that are more like a mask and not the to two tiny eye cups. But for my use, I'm trying to keep condensation OUT from my breathing with a dust mask on. I'm not sure they've vent properly on a bike ride.
      >
      > Nothing specific on the fenders. Andrew already mentioned SKS. I've also had good luck with some of Planet Bike's full coverage fenders, but with skinnier tires. SKS makes a downtube attachment that I combine with my SKS Shockboard on my mountain bike for extra protection. Perhaps this downtube attachment, combined with a traditional front fender, will give you what you need.
      >
      > I imagine the weight distribution is important on snow and ice, just like in lightweight cars and trucks. THEY sometimes throw bags of sand over the rear axle! :) (Man... I was SOOOO happy to never have to drive my Saturn in the snow ever again!)

      Everyday is a new experience riding in the snow. I am going to spend some time this coming weekend trying to figure the fender thing out. Its only the front, spent some time today cleaning my frame of ick.. glad I waterproofed the tireside of my bags. I am hoping the guys at the bike shop up here might have something as they are big moutain bike riders. I just wore gaters today and it helped keep me clean.
      I am looking forward to warmer weather as the goggles, facemask, beanie and helmet makes me feel like the kid from Christms Story. Just too much stuff, but the new goggles feel much better then my previous pair which made me feel I couldnt breathe out of my nose.
      Thanks for the advice, I ll let you know how it turns out.
      Beth