Re: 185mm Brake Rotor on Free Radical (pics)

  • speedub_nate
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 23, 2009
      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, David Dannenberg <ddannenberg@...> wrote:

      > I have 203s (Hope) and have yet to skid or have any problem with modulation whatsoever.

      I don't doubt it, and far be it from me to tell anybody they *shouldn't* run a 203...

      ...but from personal experience, I switched from 160 to 185 on the front of my mountain bike NOT because I needed more power, but because I was overheating the rotor on a particularly long and steep downhill. I NEEDED the upgrade because my hot brakes would howl like mad, but I immediately noticed the precisely controllable modulation I lost by giving up the 160.

      It's not that the larger rotor wasn't controllable -- it's just that the smaller rotor was (and always will be) MORE controllable. Otherwise we would all be running 203s front and rear, eh?

      I'm going to gamble on the 185 on the rear of the Xtracycle to start out with. I don't think I'll need the extra power or heat dissipation of the 203, plus I have the rotor and adapter on hand. My regret is that the rotor is a junky Avid Roundagon, which has a reputation for squeel, vibration and heat fade. If this proves true and it acts up, I should replace it with a Avid Cleansweep G2 or G3. By then I should have a good idea if I need to up to a 203.