Re: Flash Flags for sale

  • Ian Hopper
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 24, 2007
      Amos, glad that you're liking the Flash Flags. As for Ryano from
      Tokyo's experience with flags *attracting* aggressive drivers, I
      can't say I've seen this in my own experience, but Marin County and
      SF are a bit different than Tokyo. Ryano; did they yell more things
      at you, perhaps about the flag? I'm curious as to the further
      explanation of "attracting" aggressive drivers.

      Thanks to Phillip Diaz for the tip on using 7/8 dowel to fit in the
      front bridge tubes for making wideloader / footsies! Did you have a
      fit issues after varnishing the dowel? An alternative to using wood
      screws through the holes in the front bridge to attach the dowel that
      would make removing the dowels easier would be to insert the dowel to
      appropriate depth and then fully drill through the dowel and the
      backside of the front bridge and then inserting a rivet pin or a hair
      pin cotter.

      If any of y'all want a Flash Flag, I still have a bunch.

      Ian Hopper
    • Ryano
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 24, 2007
        Sorry.  I had meant that as an individual email.

        I am the first to admit that my observations were totally subjective, based on my daily commute in Tokyo, which as you say is probably a totally different experience to a commute anywhere else.  I had a home made flag a bit like yours and just felt that drivers were more agressive around me when the flag was up.  Perhaps similar sort of phenomenon to the study done in the UK about cycling with and without helmet. A guy decked his bicycle with sensors, and rode exactly the same route everyday, at same speed, collecting data on how close people drove to him and whether there was any difference when he wore a helmet and cycling get up, and when he did not wear helmet and just wore regular clothes.  He found that cars were shaving significantly closer when he was in his cycling kit than when he wore regular clothes (and also giving him a wider berth still when he wore women's clothes and a wig, but that might have been for different reasons)...

        Anyhow, I was just trying to say that if you make yourself wider "innocently" by having a something accidentally on-purpose hanging out the side of your freeloader or front basket, you may tend to get treated better (here anyhow) than if you are agressively trying to defend your road space.

        On 24/04/07, Ian Hopper <nollij@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 24, 2007
          Here in Taiwan, when I'm loaded up with kitty litter or potted plants or
          pallets, the road rather seem empty. Cars and motorbikes definitely
          give me a wide berth. Biking with a wobble works well, too. Cars here,
          however, are pretty well trained to expect and dodge obstacles.
          Everyone brakes for dogs and dogs are always in the middle of the road.

          After I've finished the downhill part of my commute, I'm thinking of
          pausing to remove my helmet for the rest of the commute to see what
          happens and if there's any difference in response. So far, I've noticed
          only two types of cyclists wearing helmets: 'racers' decked out in
          logo-covered biking suits and high school kids in uniforms. These kids
          wear their helmets all every which way, often unbuckled (rather defeats
          the purpose of a helmet, eh?). Saw a woman the other day with her bike
          helmet on backwards...

          One thing I've also noticed is that if I have my front and rear lights
          on during my morning commute, I get fewer cars in oncoming traffic
          turning left in front of me. At least it seems that way.

          What I really want is an airhorn.

          CL

          Ryano wrote:
          > Sorry. I had meant that as an individual email.
          >
          > I am the first to admit that my observations were totally subjective,
          > based on my daily commute in Tokyo, which as you say is probably a
          > totally different experience to a commute anywhere else. I had a home
          > made flag a bit like yours and just felt that drivers were more
          > agressive around me when the flag was up. Perhaps similar sort of
          > phenomenon to the study done in the UK about cycling with and without
          > helmet. A guy decked his bicycle with sensors, and rode exactly the same
          > route everyday, at same speed, collecting data on how close people drove
          > to him and whether there was any difference when he wore a helmet and
          > cycling get up, and when he did not wear helmet and just wore regular
          > clothes. He found that cars were shaving significantly closer when he
          > was in his cycling kit than when he wore regular clothes (and also
          > giving him a wider berth still when he wore women's clothes and a wig,!
          > but that might have been for different reasons)...
          >
          > Anyhow, I was just trying to say that if you make yourself wider
          > "innocently" by having a something accidentally on-purpose hanging out
          > the side of your freeloader or front basket, you may tend to get treated
          > better (here anyhow) than if you are agressively trying to defend your
          > road space.
        • J Loesch
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 26, 2007
            HI Ian

            If they are still available, I would like to buy 5 of the flags for my morning commuting group. Paypal?

            ship to:
            John Loesch
            215 S. Villa Ave #3
            Villa Park, IL 60181

            thanks
            John

            Ian Hopper <nollij@...> wrote:
[...]

            Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

          • Cara Lin Bridgman
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 26, 2007
              Hi Folks,

              Here is the ultimate solution for keeping your gear dry.
              <http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/bike/070426-05WaterProofBike2.JPG>

              CL

              Cara Lin Bridgman

              P.O. Box 013 Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
              Longjing Sinjhuang
              Taichung County 434
              Taiwan http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/
            • Ian E. Hopper
              Message 6 of 10 , May 1, 2007
                Inre: airhorn. What you want is one of these:
                http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/accessories.html#horns

                I have 2; one on SuperVato and one I just removed from a recumbent I
                just sold. They are awesome and work great. If you have albatross bars
                (I think you do... you're the one who had the bathtub on the back of
                the Surly Instigator/FreeRadical right?), get a Minoura Besso mount as
                well so you can mount the horn right under your thumb for instant use.
                I finally figured this out and it made the horn actually useful: I
                used to have to take my hand off the grip to sound the horn, which
                isn't advised in a panic stop. With the Besso/Air Zounds combo I have
                instant noise even during panic braking.

                Ian

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...>