Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Clearance Issue: Free Radical and Sliding Dropouts...

  • Sean Moore
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 10, 2009
      do those two (four) bolts hold your dropouts in place?  if so you're going to need all of them.

      It looks too tight for a "sex bolt" AKA "t-nut" setup and I'm not really sure those would take the load.

      I would definitely use two FAPs for that setup.  Mine was far less sketchy than that and I just used two of 'em.  I'm considering replacing the FAPs with steel, as the aluminum bends if you torque the allen bolt/nut too hard.

      Hopefully xtracycle employees will see your email and respond to you directly.  They do read this list.

      I ride some marginal stuff and I wouldn't ride that if I'm interpreting photos 1 and 2 correctly.

      --
      Sean Moore
      moore.sean@...

      On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 3:49 PM, speedub_nate <speedub.nate@...> wrote:

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Rick Pickett <rick@...> wrote:

      > This doesn't solve your bolt dropout issue, but I'd try sliding your
      > frame back into those dropouts more (aft-ward), to allow more of the
      > tongue nose to rest on the chain stay bridge. That is, unless
      > something else is inhibiting the positioning.

      Thanks Rick. I hadn't gotten around to loosening up the forward bolts yet, but will have to let the sliders land where necessary to take up chain slack.

      I may end up with double FAPs.

    • Sean Moore
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 10, 2009
        oh, and chain slack can be managed by removing links of chain.

        --
        Sean Moore
        moore.sean@...

        On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 12:13 AM, Sean Moore <moore.sean@...> wrote:
        do those two (four) bolts hold your dropouts in place?  if so you're going to need all of them.

        It looks too tight for a "sex bolt" AKA "t-nut" setup and I'm not really sure those would take the load.

        I would definitely use two FAPs for that setup.  Mine was far less sketchy than that and I just used two of 'em.  I'm considering replacing the FAPs with steel, as the aluminum bends if you torque the allen bolt/nut too hard.

        Hopefully xtracycle employees will see your email and respond to you directly.  They do read this list.

        I ride some marginal stuff and I wouldn't ride that if I'm interpreting photos 1 and 2 correctly.

        --
        Sean Moore
        moore.sean@...

        On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 3:49 PM, speedub_nate <speedub.nate@...> wrote:

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Rick Pickett <rick@...> wrote:

        > This doesn't solve your bolt dropout issue, but I'd try sliding your
        > frame back into those dropouts more (aft-ward), to allow more of the
        > tongue nose to rest on the chain stay bridge. That is, unless
        > something else is inhibiting the positioning.

        Thanks Rick. I hadn't gotten around to loosening up the forward bolts yet, but will have to let the sliders land where necessary to take up chain slack.

        I may end up with double FAPs.

      • speedub_nate
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 11, 2009

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Sean Moore <moore.sean@...> wrote:

          > oh, and chain slack can be managed by removing links of chain.

          I'll give Edwin @ VD a chance to get back to me. Tonight I was thinking I can try reducing the second bolt by one diameter and using a T-nut (aka undersized chainring nut) in the orange slot, and thread the bolt through from the >inside< of the frame. That might not be full strength, but I think it would do the job.

          I'm planning on an Alfine for this bike, so am counting on the sliders to prevent the need for a tensioner.
        • Rick Pickett
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 11, 2009
            don't forget the half-link trick. Did that on my Trek 560 single speed conversion and gave me just the right chain length to run it straight w/o tensioner.

            Cheers,

            Rick

            "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling."  – James E. Starrs

            artistic shenaniganizer | rick@...
            888.537-1401 x709 | every day adventure

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 13, 2009
              hah!  I forgot that chainring nuts were like that. durrrr!  I think that would work, but I'd be checking them pretty often at first.

              I have a Shimano IGH and don't use a tensioner.  It was a PITA to adjust until I figured out I could use the top stay to gain mechanical advantage by squeezing it against the chain stays of the bike, back and forth tightening one at a time.  I can easily over-tighten the chain now.

              --
              Sean Moore
              moore.sean@...